Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thinking of moving to the Big Island

Originally posted by Alarick
    So you really mean to say that it's ok for my car to be vandalized repeatedly, and for me to be harassed at work or while going out to a bar for the sole reason that i'm white.
    And that it's not really racism, it's me being blamed for something that people who have been dead since before my family even immigrated to the USA from Germany who just happen to have the same skin color as me did a long time ago?

Is that really what you're saying here?

Cause i can totaly see where that's not anything like racism...
    No, it's NEVER OK for anyone's personal property to be vandalized. Doesn't matter who the perpetrator or the victim are. What this represents is a lack of respect for other people coupled with a healthy dose of ignorance. But you will remember, Alarick, when you first approached us with your plans to move to the Big Island, there were some words of caution given to you. It's horribly difficult to function in a society where you're in the minority and look different from everyone else. Don't give up. You've made the commitment to be there, so you have three choices: Accept the situation as it is, change whatever you can to make the situation better, or leave. If you don't do any of those things, then you become a victim. Have you made any local friends yet?

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

So you really mean to say that it's ok for my car to be vandalized repeatedly, and for me to be harassed at work or while going out to a bar for the sole reason that i'm white.
      And that it's not really racism, it's me being blamed for something that people who have been dead since before my family even immigrated to the USA from Germany who just happen to have the same skin color as me did a long time ago?

I'm not surprised, since Kona's been "Californicated" over the years. However, considering the demographics of Kona, you're most likely being harassed because of your attitude, not your ethnicity. In any event, if you don't like life in Kona, you can always move to another part of the Big Island, another island, or even back to Texas. After looking at how much house $500K can purchase in Texas, I'm tempted to move there myself. At least the Texas locals are more accepting of outsiders than the Hawai'i locals are.
      Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

No, I'm not saying it's ok that these things are happening to you only because you're a haole, if that's why they're happening. What I said was that it's not racist. A racist is one who believes in the ultimate superiority of one's race over others. There are racists of every race. IMO the prejudice you are experiencing is not due to a feeling of superiority on the part of the perpetrators. Quite the opposite.

I agree with you that is unfair and ignorant to treat someone badly simply for looking like those who have done wrong in the past but what do you expect given the history? Additionally the attitude of superiority that many whites project when passing judgement on other cultures has not exactly disappeared.

Nevertheless, IME most haoles get an even shake in Hawaii if they stick with it, listen more than they speak and try to earn respect rather than demand it.

Forgive me but you strike me as a guy with a chip on his shoulder. IMO Hawaii can be a dangerous place for a white guy with that handicap. I wish you luck.
        “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
        http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

There are so many different experiences and opinions here I don't even know where to start, I don't think that racism is as bad on the islands as some people say, the five years that I lived there I didn't experience any hostility from locals, I am returning though to Waimanalo this summer, and I am hoping that it won't be a different story. People are much more hostile towards you on the mainland for no reason, I have experienced being shunned more in Washington than I ever did in Hawaii,with the cliques and what not. I think that it has alot to do with where you live.

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin
            Forgive me but you strike me as a guy with a chip on his shoulder. IMO Hawaii can be a dangerous place for a white guy with that handicap. I wish you luck.
            Translation: Hawaii can be a dangerous place for a "white" guy who doesn't put up with bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
              Translation: Hawaii can be a dangerous place for a "white" guy who doesn't put up with bullshit.
              I think there are ways for white guys (and gals) who don't put up with bullshit to stay safe...one way is to not go around with a chip on one's shoulder about being different.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                If that's what you wish to make of my words, fine. You seem to suffer from the same affliction as Alarick. Fortunately for you, bitches get away with a lot of things that would get a bastard spanked. So much for equality.

Please don't think this means I'm not fond of you or don't enjoy your posts.
                Last edited by sinjin; March 9, 2006, 10:50 AM.
                “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."

Comment

Keep the post coming! Our relative on Maui recommended this site because we were having a hard time making a decision. After reading many post (not just this thread) we agreed on one thing and that is that we need to learn much more about the economy and politics in Hawaii. The one thing that I don't understand is why has my wifes uncle never mentioned the tension between the races? You would think after living there 20+ years he would have been called a "haole" but he has never mentioned it. He has worked for the power company and I think he worked in the sugar cane business for awhile and he also ran a business called "Indo Pacific Trading Co." on several of the islands. All of that contact with other people in Hawaii and no mention of racism.
                  Try to enjoy life! "You won't get out alive"

Comment

Originally posted by cougar88nw
                    Keep the post coming! Our relative on Maui recommended this site because we were having a hard time making a decision. After reading many post (not just this thread) we agreed on one thing and that is that we need to learn much more about the economy and politics in Hawaii. The one thing that I don't understand is why has my wifes uncle never mentioned the tension between the races? You would think after living there 20+ years he would have been called a "haole" but he has never mentioned it. He has worked for the power company and I think he worked in the sugar cane business for awhile and he also ran a business called "Indo Pacific Trading Co." on several of the islands. All of that contact with other people in Hawaii and no mention of racism.
                    Is your uncle kinda easy going and the kind that doesn't like rocking the boat? If he is, that may be why he hasn't been harrassed! It's also easier for someone on the Mainland to "blend in" on Maui because Maui is where most people moving to Hawai'i seem to want to land...something about "birds of a feather...

Miulang

Comment

I was about to say Maui is a different place than the island of Hawai'i. I'd like to think then maybe her uncle is the kine that blends in well or maybe he doesn't think much of whatever racial tensions he does see? I know we have a thread on here talking about Maui becoming the "Mainland Island."

I'll tell you I had an ex friend I took to O'ahu with me for a week and by the end of our time there she experienced some serious not nice haole remarks. But then again, she went about her time on O'ahu completely wrong and by the end of my trip I was quite embarrassed of her myself.
                      Last edited by Lei K; March 9, 2006, 03:34 PM.
                      I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

The one thing that I don't understand is why has my wifes uncle never mentioned the tension between the races? You would think after living there 20+ years he would have been called a "haole" but he has never mentioned it. He has worked for the power company and I think he worked in the sugar cane business for awhile and he also ran a business called "Indo Pacific Trading Co." on several of the islands. All of that contact with other people in Hawaii and no mention of racism.
                        Your wife's uncle sounds like a nice man.

Comment

Again, I don`t care where or when or what? You are coming to an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
                          This Islands have a diverse culture mixture. We have our problems just like any other State in the U.S.of A.
                          Yes racism is everywhere, I experienced for myself that same attitude in the Mainland.
                          My point is if after all what you`re being told, and you cannot come to terms with what we are trying to tell you, then maybe it`s best. Try looking for another place where you will be comfortable and your children will be safe!!!
                          GOOD LUCK!! OGGBOY
                          bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by oggboy
                            Again, I don`t care where or when or what? You are coming to an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
                            This Islands have a diverse culture mixture. We have our problems just like any other State in the U.S.of A.
                            Yes racism is everywhere, I experienced for myself that same attitude in the Mainland.
                            My point is if after all what you`re being told, and you cannot come to terms with what we are trying to tell you, then maybe it`s best. Try looking for another place where you will be comfortable and your children will be safe!!!
                            GOOD LUCK!! OGGBOY

OGGBOY,

I have come to terms with what everyone is telling me. We were just thinking if our relatives have not had problems then there must be areas that are better than others. Maybe the Big Island is not the best choice?
                            It would be nice to have relatives near when we move so please understand that if we can make this work for our family it would be great. I am not questioning anyones knowledge of Hawaii and I apologize if it seems like that. Thanks.
                            Try to enjoy life! "You won't get out alive"

Comment

I'm not so much surprised that there is racism, more so surprised at the common acceptance of it.

The two cases of vandalism inflicted on my car have nothing to do with my attitude, or the "chip on my shoulder" what so ever.
                              I have my Texas inspection and registration still on the windshield ( partially out of lazyness, and partially for sentimental reasons) and the first case was minor, someone wrote "Go back to Texas" on my window in nail polish.
                              The other basically involved the placing of a few turds on my convertible top while my car parked in a condo parking lot.

And as far what i deal with at work, one of the local guys at my workplace has been known to threaten people from the mainland before with ass kicking's over trivial things (we've lost 3 other employees because of him, and he has been fired once for this kind of thing before and rehired) and generally try to go out of his way make things difficult on people from the mainland.

Again, in these cases i can't see how you could even begin to claim i brought these things on my self because of my attitude.

Racism is racism no matter what name you use, haole or nigger, or reason you claim to have for it, slavery or loss of land, it's all the same.

Obviously Hawaii has some things that Texas does not, that's why i moved here, i'm glad i did in spite of the few bad things, and i'm not planing on leaving any time soon.

But then again, it may just be that i see these things more because i do stand out, i drive a V8 sports car when modified economy cars are popular here, listen to heavy metal when every one else listens to hip hop, and have long hair when most guys do not.
                              Last edited by Alarick; March 9, 2006, 06:40 PM.
                              Got Absinthe?

Comment

OGGBOY,

I have come to terms with what everyone is telling me. We were just thinking if our relatives have not had problems then there must be areas that are better than others. Maybe the Big Island is not the best choice?
                                It would be nice to have relatives near when we move so please understand that if we can make this work for our family it would be great. I am not questioning anyones knowledge of Hawaii and I apologize if it seems like that. Thanks.
                                Unless your wife's uncle and aunt are willing to take you guys in, Maui probably wouldn't work either because the cost of housing is higher than most parts of Oahu (median price for houses on Maui is over $500k). Kauai is getting to be as bad as Maui for real estate, although it is a "smaller" community.

Miulang

P.S. and since your 12-year old has already experienced some hazing and he hasn't even left the state (where he pretty much looks like everyone else), you should be prepared for more of it (and possibly his acting out and getting in trouble) if you put him in public school on the Big Island, unless you send him to one of the private schools or homeschool him.
                                Last edited by Miulang; March 9, 2006, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X