Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thinking of moving to the Big Island

Originally posted by Alarick
    The two cases of vandalism inflicted on my car have nothing to do with my attitude, or the "chip on my shoulder" what so ever.
    I have my Texas inspection and registration still on the windshield ( partially out of lazyness, and partially for sentimental reasons) and the first case was minor, someone wrote "Go back to Texas" on my window in nail polish.
    The other basically involved the placing of a few turds on my convertible top while my car parked in a condo parking lot.
    K'den, if you no like get your car vandalized again, wipe out any traces of the car having been anywhere but in Hawai'i. That means scraping off the TX inspection and getting rid of the TX license plate asap. If you don't, you are opening yourself up to getting hit again, especially if you happen to venture to one of the beaches that has lots of locals hanging out at it. (Trust me, they will vandalize rental cars too, if given the chance). That's one way to stop some of the pilikia you been getting. Put away that Texas pride and you'll be a whole lot safer. Having a convertible also marks you as a possible "tourist". Very few locals own convertibles.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Why not ask your Uncle for advise, maybe it will be more useful to you.
      What I`m saying is, you can go to any Hawaiian Island and one way or another things will be different on every Isle. It`s just a matter of your family adjusting to a totally different life style and a whole lot of different culture.
      If you and your family can overcome this, MORE POWER TO YOU!!!
      OGGBOY
      bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        K'den, if you no like get your car vandalized again, wipe out any traces of the car having been anywhere but in Hawai'i. That means scraping off the TX inspection and getting rid of the TX license plate asap.[...]
        Being a haole tutu-chick residing in very local Makaha, I've not had anything negative happen to me along the Waianae coast that could be attributed to racism. Quite the opposite, aamof. I've always had a make of car that's not readily seen in the area. And, I've always 'adorned' it with personal statements...a license plate frame that reads 'Waianae no ka oi', a 'Makaha' sticker in the rear window and a 'live aloha' sticker on the rear bumper. I'd never thought about it but maybe Miulang is on to something!

Comment

K'den, if you no like get your car vandalized again, wipe out any traces of the car having been anywhere but in Hawai'i. That means scraping off the TX inspection and getting rid of the TX license plate asap. If you don't, you are opening yourself up to getting hit again, especially if you happen to venture to one of the beaches that has lots of locals hanging out at it. (Trust me, they will vandalize rental cars too, if given the chance). That's one way to stop some of the pilikia you been getting. Put away that Texas pride and you'll be a whole lot safer. Having a convertible also marks you as a possible "tourist". Very few locals own convertibles.

Miulang
          It also helps to have a miniature haka hanging from the rear-view mirrror.
          Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Miulang
            Well, i have Hawaii plates, kinda required by law, but i have no intention of remove my Texas registration or putting away my Texas pride.

Something about hiding who i am, and ignoring my heritage because some people don't like it bothers me.

I do go to beaches where there are alot of locals, and have not had any problems what so ever there, only at a shopping center that i no longer go to, and a condo.

Since i turned up the proximity sensor on my car alarm, i've noticed alot fewer people coming close to my car, so we'll see how that works, and then i'll take more precautions.

What island do you live on where not many locals have convertibles?
            I see more non rental convertibles here than i ever did on the mainland.
            If any local thinks a V8 sports car that has not been produced in years is a rental, they are a dumbass :P
            Got Absinthe?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
              It also helps to have a miniature haka hanging from the rear-view mirrror.
              Heh, that i may do, what is it, what does it mean, and where can i find one?
              Got Absinthe?

Comment

My friends parents have the license plate HOW-LEE. Hows that for opening yourself up for some heckling.

Comment

I'm not so much surprised that there is racism, more so surprised at the common acceptance of it.
                  I had the same thought last time I was in Texas.
                  Last edited by sinjin; March 10, 2006, 04:36 AM.
                  “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                  http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

The positive side of living in a multicultural society is all the food! When we first moved to Hilo, I'd never had a lau-lau, malasada, kim-chee, char-siu pork from wild boar, fried plantain, pork adobo, etc. etc.

Comment

What island do you live on where not many locals have convertibles?
                      I see more non rental convertibles here than i ever did on the mainland.
                      If any local thinks a V8 sports car that has not been produced in years is a rental, they are a dumbass :P
                      Very few locals on Maui own convertibles because 1) most can't afford to buy one and 2) gas is so expensive the car would have to be in the garage all the time. Since you probably weren't in the car when it was vandalized, what do you think gave the perps a clue that you weren't local? Sorry to say it, bud, but when in Hawai'i, do as the locals do. Many tourists on Maui rent convertibles thinking it's a cool thing to do, and you know what happens? They go to the beach and their roofs get slashed. I think if you drove that car into parts of Atlanta the same thing would happen...people who have way less than you are resentful of your perceived wealth. Don't take that part personally...it's hard when you have to work 2 jobs just to put food on the table and you can only afford a 1982 Mazda.

Miulang

P.S. How much do you value that car? I hope you got it protected against salt air. Otherwise, you're gonna be driving a rust bucket in no time flat. Salt air is very very corrosive.
                      Last edited by Miulang; March 10, 2006, 06:44 AM.
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by cougar88nw
                        The one thing that I don't understand is why has my wifes uncle never mentioned the tension between the races? You would think after living there 20+ years he would have been called a "haole" but he has never mentioned it. He has worked for the power company and I think he worked in the sugar cane business for awhile and he also ran a business called "Indo Pacific Trading Co." on several of the islands. All of that contact with other people in Hawaii and no mention of racism.
                        Because he's deaf?

<insert emoticon of choice here>

Comment

Heh, that i may do, what is it, what does it mean, and where can i find one?
                          Most of the locals call it an "ikaika helmet" however it's just a miniature "haka" or "crested feather helmet." As to the meaning, it generally represents a bit of nostalgia for the Hawai'i of long ago. For those in the Kona area, it pretty much means "don't mess with this vehicle because the owner is probably a local." You can usually find them for sale at swap meets and other places throughout Hawai'i.
                          Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
                            Most of the locals call it an "ikaika helmet" however it's just a miniature "haka" or "crested feather helmet." As to the meaning, it generally represents a bit of nostalgia for the Hawai'i of long ago. For those in the Kona area, it pretty much means "don't mess with this vehicle because the owner is probably a local." You can usually find them for sale at swap meets and other places throughout Hawai'i.
                            For those in the Seattle area, it means "Eh, I one Tita/Bruddah!"

Miulang

Comment

Sorry to say it, bud, but when in Hawai'i, do as the locals do.
                              Try get one beat up old Monte Carlo wid Local Motion sticker on cracked rear window, and fill da car wid beer cans, roaches (pakalolo kine) and spam cans.

Comment

Unless your wife's uncle and aunt are willing to take you guys in, Maui probably wouldn't work either because the cost of housing is higher than most parts of Oahu (median price for houses on Maui is over $500k). Kauai is getting to be as bad as Maui for real estate, although it is a "smaller" community.

Miulang

P.S. and since your 12-year old has already experienced some hazing and he hasn't even left the state (where he pretty much looks like everyone else), you should be prepared for more of it (and possibly his acting out and getting in trouble) if you put him in public school on the Big Island, unless you send him to one of the private schools or homeschool him.
                                In our family, we are of many mixed cultures Native American, Caucasian, Hawaiian, African American, Norwegian, Aleutian, Philippine, Mexican, and the list goes on. Now when we get together, we don’t see any differences, but I am sure others do. On one occasion one of my nephews who lives on a reservation was having a really hard time with looking like the typical Norwegian, blond hair blue eyes ect. Even though he is ¾ Nez Pierce those Nordic genes took over, as with any crisis a family round table was called. At that time there were 46 youngsters in the group who sat down to listen to Grandma as she was the eldest she was also the wisest, and the she taught us lesson has always stuck with me so I thought I would share with you J

She said “No matter what you look like, how tall you are (some of us are really tall) whether your hair is curly or straight, the color of your skin or perhaps they don’t like your accent. There will always be someone who won’t like you. They may call you names, and may slap you with hatred, but that’s okay Just stand up tall, be proud, and kill’em with kindness, and in the end you will be victorious.

Now over the years, no matter where I’ve been, I have heard a few choice words(dirty squaw, my personal favorite (that was in Idaho, lovely place ), been shoved (because I was a Woman (Abu Dubai ), kicked (because I was an American (Austria) and sometimes treated like crap just because I suspect someone was having a bad day, I only let it bother me for 1 minute, then move on. I may not always win the battle, but on occasion when I’ve killed them with kindness and maybe, on that day I’ve won the war, Oh what a glorious feeling! Don’t you just love those wise Grandmas.J

Comment

Working...
                                X