Thinking of moving to the Big Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thinking of moving to the Big Island

Thanks for the info OGGBOY. From what we have read and heard I think that the Kona, South Kona or some place near would be a nice place with the good weather but if we make the big move I would be better off home schooling. We will have to plan a trip out before we do anything major, no question. We wouldn't mind a fixer-upper home, my husband is quite a handyman and I don't mind hard work either. The cost of living is a concern with 4 kids but there would be trade offs ie... growing some of our own veggies, DON'T HAVE TO BUY LONG PANTS EVERY TWO TO THREE MONTHS FOR 4 KIDS, no need for heat, no need for lots of cars, might need a cow and a chicken or two (ha!ha!) . My uncle has said he will help us by teaching us the tricks to cutting costs where we can. Don't know, tons to think about so we better get planning that trip soon. Keep the info coming on the good and bad please, we want to be as informed as possible. Big concern about drugs and what areas to stay away from. Sorry if I'm driving anyone crazy with all this. Thanks!
    Try to enjoy life! "You won't get out alive"

Comment

cougar88nw,
      Just like everywhere, not just in Hawaii drugs are a problem. I don`t care what area your thinking of living, it`s just an on going problem, EVERYWHERE.
      I think your Uncle will be a big help in getting you settled on your move to the Big Island of Hawaii. Remember, when in Rome, do as the Roman`s do!
      i.e. you will need to learn basically the Hawaiian way, the local way, just like all the other`s that decided to move to Hawaii.....
      ALOHA,FROM
      OGGBOY
      bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Another few questions, sorry. What are the hardest things for mainlanders to adjust to, and main reasons some move back to the mainland. Are there too many coming over to Hawaii and messing up the true Hawaiian way of life, don't want to add to a problem or cause any hard feelings. I see how a lot of non-natives moving in has driven up the price of real estate and other things. We are 100% caucasian as Miulang put it and try to be very respectful of other cultures. We don't want to be where we would not be welcomed. All of you that have replied have been very friendly and helpful just want to know if you are the majority or minority?

Comment

HAWAIIAN RACE, but that doesn`t mean I don`t get along with caucasian folks. Some of my friends have move here from the Mainland, and believe me they have learned to adjust to Island Style living, and have grown accustomed to eating local foods as well. Others cannot handle the local ways and end up moving back. It just depends on you and if you can handle living on an Island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, with different ethnic groups of people.
          OGGBOY
          bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

If you can respect other cultures and feel comfortable in a society where you are definitely in the minority, then you should do OK. Your oldest child is the one who might encounter the greatest problems because making friends as a teenager anywhere in this country is difficult enough, but going into a school system where many of the kids might not speak perfect English or speak English as a second language might be frustrating; your child will stand out, unless you home school or send the child to a private school.

Rock fever (if you get in a car, the most you can do is drive around an island and when you're used to being able to drive from one state to another, that might get to you), the lack of certain amenities (although if you already live in a small town, that shouldn't be anything to worry about), and the high cost of living are probably the most important factors that make people who move from the Mainland to Hawai'i want to move back "home".

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              If you can respect other cultures and feel comfortable in a society where you are definitely in the minority, then you should do OK.

Rock fever (if you get in a car, the most you can do is drive around an island and when you're used to being able to drive from one state to another, that might get to you), the lack of certain amenities (although if you already live in a small town, that shouldn't be anything to worry about), and the high cost of living are probably the most important factors that make people who move from the Mainland to Hawai'i want to move back "home".

Miulang
              As far as being a minority here, it's probably better described to being a minority about 30 years ago in the south.
              Having recently moved from Texas (where white people are a minority now) the sheer amount of racism here is quite frankly shocking, and the fact that most people find some reason to validate it is even more shocking.

Just be prepared, have a thick skin about it, and ya'll will do just fine.

Also the Big Island is very much a small town, don't expect much of a nightlife, computer stores, or many other things that are easy access in population areas the same size.
              Got Absinthe?

Comment

Originally posted by Alarick
                Having recently moved from Texas (where white people are a minority now) the sheer amount of racism here is quite frankly shocking, and the fact that most people find some reason to validate it is even more shocking.

Just be prepared, have a thick skin about it, and ya'll will do just fine.
                That about sums it up, and it's pretty damned sad.

"People will hate you because you're 'white' (which means nothing). They don't understand that a multitude of ethnicities fall under that heading because they have *chosen* to remain ignorant of world history and to the persecution that your ancestors experienced in Europe and elsewhere, just as theirs did elsewhere. They expect you to fall on your knees in fawning adoration, apology and obeisance at their feet, and they will hate you because your people had the audacity to ovecome your persecution, your horrible, violent past and succeed, and thrive, and that just drives some people crazy because it leaves them with no excuses. Just lower your head, say, 'yeah, brah,' and smile, boy!"

That actually works for some people.

Comment

It's important to remember that in Hawaii, racism is government sponsored (OHA, DHHL), academically endorsed(Kamehameha Schools), and socially acceptable. I'm called "haole" in the same way that the word "nigger" is used in certain context. And the children here are taught that these behaviors are okay.

For me, living in Hawaii is all about the warm ocean. I surf, sail, dive, fish, etc etc.

A good mechanic could do well here. Homeschooling creates social misfits. Ocean View is nice, but the commute is a killer. The politics of NO, as they exist in the greater Kona area, can be frustrating for anybody with an eye toward the future or an optimistic outlook.
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com
                  Energy answers are already here.

Comment

It sounds like racism is rampant in Hawaii and maybe not such a great place to bring 4 kids into. Our 12 yr old son is dealing with anger issues now because he was picked on when he was in second grade for being a new kid (we moved 10 miles down the road to put them in better schools). He has developed the "I'm tougher than you and will take you down if you mess with me" attitude. He is trying to control his anger now but if pushed too much I'm afraid he would react. We were hoping that there would be areas where racism wouldn't be a huge factor, weather we could fit in better or there was such diversity that it wasn't a problem. One of our main reasons for looking at Hawaii was the climate. We are looking for a healthier lifestyle in which we could enjoy outside activities together more. Another was from an investment stand point. Would we fit in anywhere in Hawaii or do we have to all have armor clad skin because of the color God made us?

Comment

Originally posted by cougar88nw
                      It sounds like racism is rampant in Hawaii and maybe not such a great place to bring 4 kids into. Our 12 yr old son is dealing with anger issues now because he was picked on when he was in second grade for being a new kid (we moved 10 miles down the road to put them in better schools). He has developed the "I'm tougher than you and will take you down if you mess with me" attitude. He is trying to control his anger now but if pushed too much I'm afraid he would react. We were hoping that there would be areas where racism wouldn't be a huge factor, weather we could fit in better or there was such diversity that it wasn't a problem. One of our main reasons for looking at Hawaii was the climate. We are looking for a healthier lifestyle in which we could enjoy outside activities together more. Another was from an investment stand point. Would we fit in anywhere in Hawaii or do we have to all have armor clad skin because of the color God made us?
                      cougar88nw,

Just thought I would jump in with a few links and some info.
                      I am sorry that your son has had to deal with bullies at school maybe a break from the public school system would be good for him. I have been home schooling for the last seven years and we love it! My Daughter age 14 decided to try a co-op this year in order to gain high school credits and it works well for her. We decided to home school for several reasons. We tried the public school system for 2 years and felt that it lacked a positive learning environment, too many problems as far as over crowding, lack of materials, and kids that were so out of control it took the majority of the teacher’s time dealing with them. We decided to opt out of the system and have never looked back! We are in the process of moving to Hawaii and I will continue to home school. I also work full time and will continue to do so when we move. Just a little creative scheduling

Home schooling is not for everyone. However I would like to debunk the myth that children who home school are social misfits. Statistics show that quite the opposite is true; in fact they tend to be more positively socialized then their peers who attend the public school system.

As far as racism in Hawaii, I am sure it is there however; in the many years that we have spent extensive time on Hawaii and Oahu We have always been treated with Aloha and have met many wonderful people.For the most part the rudest people we have met came from the mainland, I have only been called a racial slur once and I just waved and continued on with my day.

My daughter has met several children in Hawaii that she continues to keep in contact with and has always been treated with kindness and respect.
                      In order for you to truly see if Hawaii is right for your family you should plan a visit. We have always stayed in a legal condo and as far away from the tourist areas as we can, in order to experience all that Hawaii has to offer.

Hawaii has several home school groups and alternative school options and I have also included my favorite housing website that will give you an idea of what is available.

The first link is on public charter schools in Hawaii;
                      http://165.248.6.166/data/schoollist_pcs.asp

Hawaiian Home school Association
                      http://www.hawaiihomeschoolassociation.org/

My favorite real estate site
                      http://www.hawaiiinformation.com/REsearch/

Comment

Originally posted by SouthKona
                        Check out:
                        http://www.hear.org/alienspeciesinhawaii/species/frogs/
                        You read about and "listen" at that site. Coqui frogs have been found on Maui, Hawaii Island, and Oahu, so far.
                        You should hear my mother in laws voice! I can deal with the frogs!

Comment

A good mechanic could do well here. Homeschooling creates social misfits. Ocean View is nice, but the commute is a killer. The politics of NO, as they exist in the greater Kona area, can be frustrating for anybody with an eye toward the future or an optimistic outlook.[/
                          25 years ago I would have agreed with you on the homeschooling but times have changed and change is not always good. Children do need social interaction but they don't need to be exposed to drugs, vulgar language, racism, etc when they attend public schools. Lets don't forget the children that are so desperate for attention that they bring weapons to school and vent their frustrations. Part of the problem is that the schools can no longer discipline the children. When I attended public school the principle could use the paddle to convince us that bad behavior was not tolerated (his paddle was named the "attitiude adjuster" ). Today we have the "time out" parents (my parents took time out to spank me ) and many of these children have no respect for adults. We also took religion out of school but I won't get started on that. However, I do believe there are more social misfits in public school than there are in homeschooling. Just my opinion don't hate me for it!

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
                            It's important to remember that in Hawaii, racism is government sponsored (OHA, DHHL), academically endorsed(Kamehameha Schools), and socially acceptable. I'm called "haole" in the same way that the word "nigger" is used in certain context. And the children here are taught that these behaviors are okay.
                            I experienced a ton of racism in Southern California after my parents moved us from O'ahu. So it's everywhere brah. I was treated all sorts of bad by many girls here because I didn't talk like them, didn't act like them, didn't look like them, I don't have blonde hair, I don't have blue eyes, thought it was unacceptable to talk back to my parents and call them by first name, that sort of thing. I don't look pure Polynesian by any means so they didn't know what to make of me. And in my city I was the only Hawai'i ex pat in my school and "felt" like in my age range. I am 10 years younger than my siblings. I had a HUGE identity crisis during my school years in Southern California. I felt lost and alone, like there was truly no one like me. I only wish I would have been stronger and had more pride in the fact that I was one of da kine ova here.

I wouldn't go blaming Kamehameha schools for haole bashing. My mother is a product of Kamehameha and does not condone that sort of behavior. ALL her son in laws are "haole" (including my own husband, Irish and PROUD) and very much loved and accepted by her (and by my whole family). Last time I checked Kamehameha doesn't have a course on how to hate on your local haole. Every area seems to have their kind of racism toward the minority. It sucks, but it's true. Unfortuantly for you, you happen to love living in a place where the white person is the minority. I don't think it's right but racism is everywhere. Very awesome that you have a thick skin and dealed with it. I know my family and I would have issues living in the wrong area of Los Angeles and etc.

By the way, my husband wears his haole title with pride. He just loves being called "Haole Boy" by my family. My husband is SUPER respectful and gets along just fine in the islands as does my sister Kiana's husband. I find that a person's attitude goes a long way in Hawai'i. My husband knows if he were ever to run across a "haole hater" to shrug it off because we all ain't like that. But my husband also understands that many locals just have a lot of resentment for mainlanders coming over, using up resources, and jacking up the cost of living to the point that hard working families who are native to the islands or 3rd/4th etc. generation has to leave their beloved homes just to feed their children. I know people should learn a better way of thinking but many lash out with a lot of resentment and hate.

But at the same time I see many new residents just assume that locals are mooching off of welfare and have no room to complain. Have you know that much of my family work 2 jobs, some even 3, and live in 2 or 3 family households. It's a hard life if you don't want to leave the only life you've ever known.

I hope I'm coming across right here because it's not meant to be a mean post at all. I'm just tired of Kamehameha schools being blamed, being called racist, and that sort of thing. Kanaka Maoli are the native people and the Hawaiian Islands was once their country. Why don't they desereve a school that helps them perserve their culture and embrace their ancestors? It's not funded by the government so I have yet to understand the complaint. It's a beautiful culture and to take Kamehameha schools away from the children of the Kanaka Maoli is heart breaking to me. Sorry.

Let's say that Ireland was taken over by America for some strange reason (I know unrealistic, lol!) and Irish was a dying race. I would think it's completely appropriate for a school to preserve their culture and show admission preference to those with Irish ancestry. Teach their dance, their language, their history, it's beautiful, not racist.

As for the original poster of this thread...

In my extremely honest opinion, in your situation, I would not move to Hawai'i. I only say this because of your children being school aged. I sometimes fear my children don't look hapa enough to fit in well during the school years. And let's face it, superficial as it may be, fitting in feels like everything during those years. School aged children are cruel and it's horrible but it's everywhere, not just Hawai'i. I don't want to candy coat anything, a lot of racism does go on in school toward the "haole" child in Hawai'i. No one deserves to be treated bad, especially children who don't understand why. I know because like I said I went through it all myself, but on the mainland, because I wasn't white.

If you do move though I wish you tons of luck.
                            Last edited by Lei K; March 8, 2006, 06:14 AM.
                            I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

The resentment towards haole mainlanders is a product of history like the resentment of Irish catholics towards the British. Not racism. Racism is prejudice directed at a group that has done nothing to deserve it, simply for being different. That cannot be said of haole in Hawaii.
                              “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                              http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

So you really mean to say that it's ok for my car to be vandalized repeatedly, and for me to be harassed at work or while going out to a bar for the sole reason that i'm white.
                                And that it's not really racism, it's me being blamed for something that people who have been dead since before my family even immigrated to the USA from Germany who just happen to have the same skin color as me did a long time ago?

Is that really what you're saying here?

Cause i can totaly see where that's not anything like racism...
                                Got Absinthe?

Comment

Working...
                                X