Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

surfing localism spawns TV ep?

OMIGOSH.

I'm watching "Supernova" the rock star reality audition show ... and I see a promo for a new fall TV show called "Smith."

It shows a blonde, curly- or wavy-haired, haole surfer ... confronted by two local surfers on the beach. They tell him "you don't belong here sir," and they basically kick him off the beach, etc. (No physical violence between them.)

Then, you see the haole surfer assembling a sniper rifle -- in the woods, off the beach -- taking aime at and then squeezing off shots at the local guys on the beach.

You think one of the "Smith" writers saw our pride-and-joy YouTube scene and got "inspired?"
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Re: surfing localism spawns TV ep?

Originally posted by Erika Engle
      OMIGOSH.
      You think one of the "Smith" writers saw our pride-and-joy YouTube scene and got "inspired?"
      Guarrans!!!! Pretty Lady!!! And I bet dey not going give any credit to YouTube Guys!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

OMIGOSH.
        I saw the same promo and had the same reaction, which was
        Pretty darned flagrant, and I'm sure we haven't heard the last of it.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Re: How bad is the surfing localism

Originally posted by tutusue
          I was aware of the surfer vs surf kayaker issue at San Onofre but I wasn't aware, as I mentioned earlier, of surf rage. Guns pulled over waves? I just don't get it? I truly don't. Regardless of the area. Waves?

I remember, as a kid, when my dad reminisced about the 'good ol' days'. Now I understand what he meant. I'm now reminiscing about the good ol' days of surfing in SoCal...basically 1957-1966. I surfed a limited number of breaks during that time...Brooks St. in Laguna, Doheny, San Onofre, Trestles and, my fave, Swami's in Leucadia. I don't ever recall any turf issues. I do recall everyone having a healthy respect for everyone else in the water. That was long before leashes. If someone wiped out another surfer was right there bringing the board back to the wipee! <g> There was certainly a fair share of incidents; usually someone wiping out and the loose board interfering with another surfer's ride. But, I don't recall one incident of surf anger much less surf rage. We were all out there to have a good time. Period. H3!!...it was such a good time I used to cut school to go surfing with my dad when he was between projects. He always wrote me a 'sick note' the next day. Ha! I was another 3 shades tanner!
          hehe i live up the street from Swamis, and its in Cardiff by the way
          yeah yeah im a post digger.
          i like to read old posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon007
            hehe i live up the street from Swamis, and its in Cardiff by the way
            That area of SoCal reminds me of the Waianae Coast...a series of small beach towns and I don't know where one leaves off and the next begins! I've always referred to Swamis as being in Leucadia (hmmm...or maybe it was Encinitas?! I'm going back 40-50 years here! ). Is Swamis still a popular surf spot (oooooh, those stairs!)? The mushroom burger 'temple' can't still be there...can it? Does jazz singer Dee Dee McNeil still sing in San Diego County? She live(s)(d) in Cardiff. Heh. I sound like a 2 year old with all the questions!

Comment

That area of SoCal reminds me of the Waianae Coast...a series of small beach towns and I don't know where one leaves off and the next begins! I've always referred to Swamis as being in Leucadia (hmmm...or maybe it was Encinitas?! I'm going back 40-50 years here! ). Is Swamis still a popular surf spot (oooooh, those stairs!)? The mushroom burger 'temple' can't still be there...can it? Does jazz singer Dee Dee McNeil still sing in San Diego County? She live(s)(d) in Cardiff. Heh. I sound like a 2 year old with all the questions!
              i think all stand present, but as for the jazz artist? i dont know, im 21 going on 22..and moving to Hilo next month getting some real small town livin on the old belt.

Comment

i think all stand present, but as for the jazz artist? i dont know, im 21 going on 22..
                Aha! No wonder you're still awake at this hour (Cal. time!)! Youth...damn ya all! Yikes...you're young enough to be my grandson!
                But, really...the temple is still there along with the mushroom burgers? That's amazing.
                and moving to Hilo next month getting some real small town livin on the old belt.
                Didya know that Hilo is the 2nd largest 'city' in the state of Hawaii? I haven't been to your coastal area in probably 16 years or so. I imagine it's changed a lot. Hilo might be somewhat like that section of San Diego County was during the 50s and 60s. Way before your time!

Comment

In the past few years, I've seen quite a few humorous things inspired from internet stuff (I don't remember exact references :/ ) so it's definetely not out of the question!

Comment

the temple is still there along with the mushroom burgers? That's amazing.
                    Well, to be honest I dont really know about the mushroom burgers (im assuming food?) but there is the "Self Realization Temple" right next to Swamis which was dome looking pillars.

I have never been to that Temple..it looks cool though.

Comment

Heh. That's fun to imagine, but I doubt it. As the links posted to this thread amply demonstrate, surf localism is a problem all over. In fact, while it's bad here, it has escalated to the point of drawn weapons on the mainland -- which, if anything, is what I expect inspired the "Smith" scene.

There's a long "Smith" promo available on the CBS site, but it includes only split-second flashes of the surf sequence. The blonde surfer is Jeff (Simon Baker), one of the professional thieves and the group's weapons expert. It also looks like he gets a sniper rifle pointed at him at the beach, too.

A couple more "Smith" clips at TV.com. But I guess this is better continued in The Tube!
                      Last edited by pzarquon; July 26, 2006, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Lawyers Group Waves Off Surfing Contest

HONOLULU (AP) -- These lawyers apparently have no fear of sharks - unless they're the kind that file lawsuits.

About 40 lawyers from across the country have signed up for the National Lawyers on Longboards Surfing Contest scheduled during the Aug. 3-8 American Bar Association convention in Honolulu.

But the ABA has pulled out of sponsoring the surfing competition. The event organizer says the lawyers are afraid of being sued.
                        more info:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Comment

Pretty darned flagrant, and I'm sure we haven't heard the last of it.

No kidding. That kid should have never been in the water. But the epilogue on the beach is over the top.

This type of flagrant mean behavior, as demonstrated by the "security", can only be met with logic and reason at the business end of a high power rifle.

Thank God somebody is finally seeing to reason Lika Nui.
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com
                          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                            Heh. That's fun to imagine, but I doubt it. As the links posted to this thread amply demonstrate, surf localism is a problem all over. In fact, while it's bad here, it has escalated to the point of drawn weapons on the mainland -- which, if anything, is what I expect inspired the "Smith" scene.

There's a long "Smith" promo available on the CBS site, but it includes only split-second flashes of the surf sequence. The blonde surfer is Jeff (Simon Baker), one of the professional thieves and the group's weapons expert. It also looks like he gets a sniper rifle pointed at him at the beach, too.

A couple more "Smith" clips at TV.com. But I guess this is better continued in The Tube!
                            To my surprise... I saw the promo on TV last night.... what is that about?? Now, I most see the show to find out what the show is about and what was going on at the beach... I guess the promo did its job.... get viewers to watch what happens...
                            Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
                            Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Queenolu
                              To my surprise... I saw the promo on TV last night.... what is that about?? Now, I most see the show to find out what the show is about and what was going on at the beach... I guess the promo did its job.... get viewers to watch what happens...
                              Aloha Queenolu!
                              The promo would have been interesting to me anyway, but it really raised my eyebrows because of the violent, surf-related incident in Hawaii that was videotaped and posted on YouTube. There is a link earlier in this thread. If you can't stomach physical violence, don't watch it ...
                              I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Bottom line on that video is that there is Karma, there is a Judgement Day, there is no human on earth, don't care how big his balls are or how big he THINKS he is, that doesn't answer for beating another's ass for not playing by the rules. In fact, some people get their payback in this life AND in the life to come.

As Mama used to say "what goes around comes around." With some it takes longer than with others.

NO EXCUSES for taking surfing this far.
                                Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Working...
                                X