Maui Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maui Questions

Hi Everyone! I'm moving to Maui in January, I already got my tickets and such. What I was wondering is how the people of Maui view mainlanders moving to the island. Am I going to meet with some resistance or will I be accepted? Any advice would be great. Thanks a lot!

Re: Need some moving advice

Congratulations on your move. The short answer? You're probably going to meet some resistance. This is true for newcomers anywhere, but certainly in Hawaii and Maui in particular where Mainland transplants are a sore spot for many. Don't sweat it, for the most part, but don't dismiss it, either. Try not to arrive with a chip on your shoulder, in any case, because if you look for hostility, you're definitely going to find it.

Read through many of the "advice for moving to Hawaii" threads here for a taste of both the best and worst a relocation can bring. Listen, understand... be yourself, to be sure, but be open minded, even when others aren't.

It is possible to relocate here and be welcomed... but it takes time, and an attitude that's hard to quantify or force but that locals will recognize immediately.
    Last edited by pzarquon; June 29, 2006, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Welcome to HT!

Bottom line is acceptance will depend on you. No matter where one lives one can encounter obstacles. Come with an open, loving, respectful heart and you should be fine. Just know that life is not full of 100%s!

Comment

Thank you so much for the responses. I will have to adjust my attitudes a bit. I'm a 22 year old male that just graduated college. I live in the Northeast and will have to get rid of some of the influence a fast-paced, money-driven area has on a person. This seems like it may be one of the best experience of my life so far.

Comment

Originally posted by pttymcgee
          I will have to adjust my attitudes a bit. I'm a 22 year old male that just graduated college. I live in the Northeast and will have to get rid of some of the influence a fast-paced, money-driven area has on a person.
          It can definitely be a learning experience, and a wonderful one with the right mindset. Indeed, it is the influx of the stereotyped (and of course unfairly broad) Mainland "fast-paced, money-driven" culture that many long-time Maui residents say they are fighting. Just know that even if you think and say you're "on their side," there'll be some skepticism until folks get to know you.

Then again, maybe they'll think you're too young to cause the kind of trouble a rich retiree would represent. You're definitely young enough for Hawaii to be just one stop along a lifetime of new places, cultures and experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            You're definitely young enough for Hawaii to be just one stop along a lifetime of new places, cultures and experiences.
            That's exactly the attitude that I have. I have many years to figure out where to ultimately settle down, I just want to test the waters for now.

Comment

That's exactly the attitude that I have. I have many years to figure out where to ultimately settle down, I just want to test the waters for now.
              Hopefully you've done your research and understand Hawaii's high cost of living and what an expensive test it will be.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                Hopefully you've done your research and understand Hawaii's high cost of living and what an expensive test it will be.
                I was planning on moving to Boston, MA before Maui was thrown into the mix so I am definitely used to the high cost of living. Maui is cheaper than Boston.

Comment

I was planning on moving to Boston, MA before Maui was thrown into the mix so I am definitely used to the high cost of living. Maui is cheaper than Boston.
                  That surprises me as I have friends who live in a suburb of Boston and wish they could afford to live here! Regardless, my guess is salaries are probably higher in Boston. Do you have a job lined up on Maui?

Comment

No, I have not found a job. I'm moving out in January so I have a little time.

Comment

Welcome to HT! Having lived both in Boston and on Maui, let me tell you that Maui (and Hawai'i in general) is way more expensive than Boston. Reason? Housing is extremely expensive, as is food (almost everything has to be shipped to Hawai'i). For a young person, Boston would definitely be a more fun place to live and work. Most of the sidewalks on Maui (except for the resort areas of Wailea and Ka'anapali) roll up at 6 p.m. But if you're moving to Maui to get away from all that, you might just do OK.

What kind of skills do you have? Many of the jobs on Maui revolve around the tourist industry and they don't pay very much. Do you know where you want to live? You might have to share a house with others in order to afford to live on Maui. There's also no public transportation per se, so you'll either need a car or a bike to get around (they frown on hitchhikers there).

As part of your research, have you been reading the Maui News? That's a great place to find out what's going on and you can check the classifieds for jobs and places to stay.

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Maui Questions

I was just wondering. I posted before about moving tips to Maui. I just wanted to get some more specific information. It seems that Kihei will be where I am moving to. What I am wondering is what kind of jobs would I be looking at to get around Kihei. I have a Bachelor's in communications if that makes any difference. I have no discretion when it comes to working, I'll do whatever makes it so I can get by. Any suggestions?

Comment

Re: Kihei Questions

I was just wondering. I posted before about moving tips to Maui. I just wanted to get some more specific information. It seems that Kihei will be where I am moving to. What I am wondering is what kind of jobs would I be looking at to get around Kihei. I have a Bachelor's in communications if that makes any difference. I have no discretion when it comes to working, I'll do whatever makes it so I can get by. Any suggestions?
                          If you want to work in the Kihei area, then your main options will be in the hospitality industry (like working in the Wailea area in one of the hotels or golf courses or restaurants or outdoor activity vendors). That's not to say that you can't make pretty good money catering to the touristas (they tend to be pretty wealthy in Wailea...you might even see a movie star or two). Not much industry other than tourism there. As I said before, check the job postings in the Maui News.

Kihei itself is like an older stepsister to Wailea. There are lots of restaurants and touristy businesses there, but there's no identifiable town center (closest facsimile would probably be Azeka I and II). Kihei itself is mostly a buncha condos sitting side by side and some strip malls interspersed.

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Have you considered temp work? That's not a bad way to get assimilated and learn about various employment and/or career opportunites in a community. At least, it can provide some income while you look for something permanent, and at most it can end up *being* your permanent job.

Temping might work best if you are moving with someone else who can be the primary wage-earner for a while, since it tends to pay a bit less. (The company has to pay the temp agency that referred you, so they have to make it up somehow.) If you're interested, you can Google "Maui employment agency" and probably come up with some options.

P.S. Miulang, you and I need to get a life today! Everyone else is out celebrating!

Comment

Here's a place in Kihei that's hiring:
                              Expanding Our Team

Kihei Ace Hardware is looking for entry & experienced candidates for FT & PT positions:

•Cashiers
                              •Lawn & Garden
                              Department Associates
                              •Plumbing Department
                              Associates
                              •Electrical Department
                              Associates
                              •Paint Department
                              Associates

Pay based upon experience. Benefits may include (depends on hrs. worked): Medical, dental & vision coverage, life insurance, paid training, employee discounts, 401(k), profit sharing & more.Apply in person.

KIHEI ACE HARDWARE
                              1280 S. Kihei Rd.
                              Azeka Place

Serving Hawaii since 1951
                              An Equal Opportunity Employer

Comment

Working...
                              X