Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Visitor wants to go 'local' right away

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
    1) where are you planning to play hockey?

2) Be very clear - spam is most definitely NOT ham! in fact, I don't think anyone really knows what it is. but, i love it!

3) You won't be living "in" O`ahu, unless you are digging a hole & living underground. You live "on" an island. tyr to get the terminology correct. You will possibly be living "in" Aiea, "on" O`ahu though. Sorry, it really bugs me when newbies say this.
    I plan to play hockey on O'ahu at Ice Palace, which is in Honolulu. Don't tell me it's burnt down now, like Disneyland.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsGoTime! View Post
      I plan to play hockey on O'ahu at Ice Palace, which is in Honolulu. Don't tell me it's burnt down now, like Disneyland.
      You have just talked about my hugest (is that a word?) pet peeve!! People who say, "I'm going to be IN Maui next week", or "I spent the last 2 weeks IN the Big Island last year". Fingernails on blackboard, that one!!
      Aloha,
      Mokihana

Comment

Originally posted by ItsGoTime! View Post
        I plan to play hockey on O'ahu at Ice Palace, which is in Honolulu. Don't tell me it's burnt down now, like AT Disneyland.
        *giggle*

pax

Comment

Originally posted by dlkbc View Post
          I have been to Hawaii many times because I have cousins there and love it!

Since I always stay with my cousins, I never really do the usual touristy things in Waikiki for which I am grateful!

But I was just curious, what do most of you consider to be things unique to locals that set them apart from tourists, or how would a visitor act like a local as soon as possible?

Some of the ones I thought of? Food--spam for breakfast and big lunch specials with those mounds of rice, macaroni salad, etc.

Shopping--avoiding the ABC stores and going to the big box stores, trying to save a buck just like the mainlanders do, like at Walmart's. Buying souvenirs for friends on the mainland at Long's when they have sales or the flea market?

Talking, walking slower?

Any others?
          Aloha! You should learn to say some Hawaiian words and phrases and sing Hawaiian songs. Email me. I will teach you.
          'Alika

Comment

I know this is old & all... but... how about just being yourself? Why do you have to pretend to be a local if you're really not?

I've never been to Hawaii although I do plan to visit in the next year or so & I also would like to move there once I finish my nurse anesthetist schooling which will be many years down the road, likely. Perhaps my outlook on that will change once I've visited but from what I've researched, I can't imagine a better place I'd rather be. I'm from FL & love the warm weather & Hawaii to me is like Florida except 1000000x better... because it lacks the humidity & gains culture.... plus the scenery is more beautiful than almost any place on earth.

I think if you respect people & stop trying to mimic them, they will like you better. You can adopt some customs, but don't over use them & don't make sure everyone can see...

& if you must show that you're a local, make sure you get your Driver's License right away & order drinks everywhere you go... lol so You can flash it & show "hey, I live here" if you must.

*nods*
            <3 EriKa
            ErikaMarie.us

Comment

Working...
            X