Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's it like living in Kaneohe?

Originally posted by Erika Engle
    There may be micro-climate-type reasons for that -- just as there are for varied rainfall, as Lika Nui mentioned.
    My favorite micro-climate is in Waimanalo, right near Eve Anderson's house (the "Magnum P.I." estate, for those who don't know).
    Between Eve's house and Sea Life Park, the Ko`olau mountains come right down to the beach. But from Eve's house going the other way, the Ko`olau make a sharp turn inland quite a way.
    Therefore, you can stand at Eve's in bright sunshine and watch it rain like crazy just a block away. And you can do that often.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by luv2dive
      I do love sharks. I know that Kaneohe Bay is a nursery for baby hammerheads, very cool!
      Just remember that where there are babies, there are their MAMAS too! Ever dive and encounter an 8' to 10' hammerhead?

I also love to golf and I know that Koolau is a gorgeous course, right against the mountain. I understand it's also one of the most difficult.
      It's often called the most difficult course in the world. For good reason. And yes, it's absolutely spectacularly splendiferously gorgeous.
      You also mentioned Olomana. Only so-so. But have you checked out Luana Hills (also at the foot of Olomana)? BeeYOOtiful! And for just dinking around, there's the Bayview course in Kaneohe too.

Any golfers out in HT-land?
      I gave it up. I found that golf is a great way to ruin what would otherwise be a very pleasant walk.

We're looking at a couple of places in the Valley of the Temples area.
      Renting or buying?
      Also, look closer to the bay at the Pu`u Ali`i townhouses or Makani Kai Marina townhouses.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
        I found that golf is a great way to ruin what would otherwise be a very pleasant walk.
        sotto voce: Oscar Wilde

Comment

To tell the truth?! If I really had a choice. I'd be in Kaneohe. Early nineties I delivered pizzas outta Temple Valley (Koolau sumptin' now) and loooved the area! Beautiful people and life is nice over there. I live in town now and it's noisy and hectic compared. Go for it!
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

My favorite micro-climate is in Waimanalo, right near Eve Anderson's house (the "Magnum P.I." estate, for those who don't know).
            Between Eve's house and Sea Life Park.
            I just for the first time went up where the hang gliders jump off the cliff above where you're speaking. Incredible view!
            Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Oh, hell yes! Kaneohe Bay is their breeding ground!
              It's funny that lots of folks claim hammerheads aren't dangerous unless 'cornered', yet there was a recent special on sharks on the Discovery channel about The 10 Most Dangerous Sharks and, yep, hammerheads were one of 'em.
              But dang, those little baby hammerheads are so darned cuuuute!
              No such thing as a cute shark :-0

Are there alot in Kailua Bay too ? Jeez...last year I did the kayak trip to that little bird sanctuary island (first time kayaking), and I want to do it again, but not if those "cute" hammerheads are looking for someone to nail.
              I did see an article posted in here about a big hammerhead found washed up on Kailua beach. Hmmm...maybe I'll skip that kayak trip this time :-/
              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                sotto voce: Oscar Wilde
                not so sotto: Mark Twain.
                And for just dinking around, there's the Bayview course in Kaneohe too.
                "dinking around" - appropriate description. I've met people there for lunch, but not for golf.
                Last edited by Leo Lakio; August 9, 2006, 04:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
                  No such thing as a cute shark :-0

Are there alot in Kailua Bay too ? Jeez...last year I did the kayak trip to that little bird sanctuary island (first time kayaking), and I want to do it again, but not if those "cute" hammerheads are looking for someone to nail.
                  I did see an article posted in here about a big hammerhead found washed up on Kailua beach. Hmmm...maybe I'll skip that kayak trip this time :-/

Sharks are cool. A very efficient and powerful animal. It is a pleasure to share the water with them. Hammerheads are even cooler, especially when they are looking for stuff under the sand.

If you are worried about being bit, you have a greater chance of getting hit by a car on the way to the water or having you car broken into while you are getting wet.
                  You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

True that.

Originally posted by nachodaddy
                    If you are worried about being bit, you have a greater chance of getting hit by a car on the way to the water or having you car broken into while you are getting wet.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                      not so sotto: Mark Twain.
                      damn thass rite! and the two don't even took alike.

Comment

It's funny that lots of folks claim hammerheads aren't dangerous unless 'cornered', yet there was a recent special on sharks on the Discovery channel about The 10 Most Dangerous Sharks and, yep, hammerheads were one of 'em.
                        Just a little Fyi, I think the main hammerhead shark that poses an actual threat to humans is the Great Hammerhead, but I don't know if they are common in Hawai'ian waters. I believe the ones found in Kane'ohe Bay are Scalloped Hammerheads and they are reported to be fairly harmless (or so I've read!).

Comment

I believe you're right Kekaha roots. I wouldn't worry too much about the hammerhead sharks in Hawaii. It's the Tigers that you have to worry about. Although an encounter with a tiger shark is rare. I've dived with galapagas and sandbar sharks, but I haven't encountered a tiger shark yet. Has anyone out there had an encounter with a tiger shark?

It's funny how these threads veer off in all directions.

Comment

I believe you're right Kekaha roots. I wouldn't worry too much about the hammerhead sharks in Hawaii. It's the Tigers that you have to worry about. Although an encounter with a tiger shark is rare. I've dived with galapagas and sandbar sharks, but I haven't encountered a tiger shark yet. Has anyone out there had an encounter with a tiger shark?

luv2dive,

You are right about Tigers. They seem to be pretty indiscriminate when it comes to what they eat and they are very dangerous!

Back on topic: I love Kane'ohe for many of the reasons that others have already posted on this thread. Everytime I go to O'ahu, I make it a point to always go there.

Comment

I LOVE KANEOHE because the hammerheads don't bite.

Comment

How much more does it rain in the Kaneohe area as compared to other areas (such as Kailua, Manoa, Waikik, or Leeward)? Obviously, I know it rains more, except for Manoa, but is it always raining? Is it heavy continuous rain or semi-frequent rain showers?

Comment

Working...
                                X