Salary Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Salary Needed

That's almost a thousand dollars a week. What on earth does all that get spent on???!!!
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
      I would think you certainly could LIVE on 65K in Kona as a single person, although I may be grievously mistaken.

There is simply too little info provided here---are you coming with some money, perhaps enough for a down-payment on a home?

Do you have a job already, or are you just assuming that you will get a job that pays a wage similar to what you're getting at your present job?

I don't mean to be argumentative here...just need a bit of clarification.
      Yeah I concur, those are all valid follow-up questions. As I agree the OP
      question was a bit vague on details. I personally have my doubts that
      65K is a liveable income here in Kona.
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
        Yeah I concur, those are all valid follow-up questions. As I agree the OP
        question was a bit vague on details. I personally have my doubts that
        65K is a liveable income here in Kona.
        It's liveable here on Oahu but it doesn't allow for savings, potential for home purchase, or much more than day-to-day existence. A decent existence, possibly, but not much hope for the future.

For a single person, that is. Toss a non-working spouse and a couple of kids into the mix and you're sunk.

Come here with enough for a good down payment on a home and 65K might be enough. As you age, property taxes (which, IME, are significantly lower than in many areas of the country) are reduced. Retirement income is not subject to state taxation, IIRC.

The sales tax is lower than in many states, but you are taxed on virtually every damn thing, including doctor's visits and vegetables.

The whole "moving to Hawaii" thing is a series of trade-offs. You decide what is valuable to you and whether those things are worth the trade-off.

Comment

Susie.....Mortgage - 2600, Car - 265 + gas, Elec - 200, Groceries - 800, Insurance - 300, and on and on and on......$1000 a week is tough in Kona.
          FutureNewsNetwork.com
          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona
            Susie.....Mortgage - 2600, Car - 265 + gas, Elec - 200, Groceries - 800, Insurance - 300, and on and on and on......$1000 a week is tough in Kona.
            This illustrates why the allure of the mainland becomes so irresistible to many people here. It boils down to more bang for the buck.

And if anyone is wondering, we came here with enough for a damn good down payment on a home and also came here before the RE prices went totally berserk.

We were lucky, and we know it. For those seeking to relocate here now, however...eeeesh.

Comment

And I thought it was bad, over here...mortgage 220, insurance 93 (includes camper and mobilette, house and school), water 25, Electricity 60, Telephone and internet 50, property tax 35, food would be about 300, but I have a stock of preps that help...gas is 1.50 a liter, but nobody smokes or drinks in this household, and clothing comes from Goodwill, so we manage to drive a bit. No restaurants or eating out. Soda only on occasion, and then from the store, and not an expensive machine. Medicine is free, and so are schools. No shopping malls to tempt us. Woodstove for heating, but this winter it'll be more soup and socks, as the price of wood has gone stupid. No TV licence fee, cause no TV...we make our own entertainment...today after school we're going to the apple farm and picking our own for applesauce and dried apples.
              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

And to KonaGuy....flames come with the territory....buck up....
                Or just slowly put each of us, one by one, on your "ignore list."

Comment

Originally posted by kll1604
                  Can I live on 65000 a year on Kona? I am single and would like to buy a home.
                  If you're willing to live in Miloli'i, you can probably buy a home and live in the district of South Kona with an income of $65K per year.
                  Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                    Or just slowly put each of us, one by one, on your "ignore list."
                    Was that really necessary to say that ?
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy
                      Was that really necessary to say that ?
                      If it got a smile out of you, then it was worth it. (I thought you were ignoring me anyway?) It's a tough tool to use --- cause we really do want to see what other people have to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
                        If it got a smile out of you, then it was worth it. (I thought you were ignoring me anyway?) It's a tough tool to use --- cause we really do want to see what other people have to say.
                        Yes I took you off ignore last night
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
                          If you're willing to live in Miloli'i, you can probably buy a home and live in the district of South Kona with an income of $65K per year.
                          Have you been to Milolii recently? The prices of lots have increased dramatically in the past few years. Many new homes are being built, and the prices are reflecting the Milolii ocean views. But, still 65K should be enough. I'd also check out HOVE (Hawaiian Ocean View Estates), you might still be able to get less expensive prices there...

Comment

It's liveable here on Oahu but it doesn't allow for savings, potential for home purchase, or much more than day-to-day existence. A decent existence, possibly, but not much hope for the future.

For a single person, that is. Toss a non-working spouse and a couple of kids into the mix and you're sunk.

Come here with enough for a good down payment on a home and 65K might be enough. As you age, property taxes (which, IME, are significantly lower than in many areas of the country) are reduced. Retirement income is not subject to state taxation, IIRC.

The sales tax is lower than in many states, but you are taxed on virtually every damn thing, including doctor's visits and vegetables.

The whole "moving to Hawaii" thing is a series of trade-offs. You decide what is valuable to you and whether those things are worth the trade-off.
                            How much does someone need to live? What is considered "enough"? I'm a single female, rent a decent apt. in a good neighborhood, manage to pay my bills, buy groceries, and all the other necessities of life including movies, eating in restaurants. going to a salon for hair cuts (and its not Super Cuts!), and social activities. I even shop at Neiman Marcus once in a while and take a lot of taxi rides. All this on approx. $21,000 per year at a part-time job! Of course, I've never felt the urge to "own" something I can't pick up & take with me when I want to leave (like a house). and I do ride the bus. But still, I have a decent life on my very small salary.

So again - How much is considered "enough"?
                            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by kll1604
                              Can I live on 65000 a year on Kona? I am single and would like to buy a home.
                              You can live very comfortably in Kona on 65K a year. However, "buying a home" will be a challenging endeavor, now that our prices have gone up so much. Of course, you could always do the standby plan: "buy a house and rent out rooms to make the mortgage more manageable".

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
                                How much does someone need to live? What is considered "enough"? I'm a single female, rent a decent apt. in a good neighborhood, manage to pay my bills, buy groceries, and all the other necessities of life including movies, eating in restaurants. going to a salon for hair cuts (and its not Super Cuts!), and social activities. I even shop at Neiman Marcus once in a while and take a lot of taxi rides. All this on approx. $21,000 per year at a part-time job! Of course, I've never felt the urge to "own" something I can't pick up & take with me when I want to leave (like a house). and I do ride the bus. But still, I have a decent life on my very small salary.

So again - How much is considered "enough"?
                                Totally individual. You are fortunate to be satisfied with a lifestyle that many others would find unacceptable, even intolerable, IMHO. Apparently, what you make is "enough" to satisfy your individual needs.

But will it always be? I don't know anything about you, of course. I am guessing you are still quite young?

Most people, IME, desire "things" (thinking of the George Carlin "stuff" routine). A decent car, a vacation once in a while, granite countertops, etc.

And when a family is a factor, we want things for our family. To make our lives and their lives more comfortable, more satisfying. To provide what we consider to be a good standard of living.

"Enough" is what makes you content. That tends to change as time goes by.
                                Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; September 15, 2006, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X