Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Salary Needed

Originally posted by SouthKona
    Have you been to Milolii recently? The prices of lots have increased dramatically in the past few years. Many new homes are being built, and the prices are reflecting the Milolii ocean views. But, still 65K should be enough. I'd also check out HOVE (Hawaiian Ocean View Estates), you might still be able to get less expensive prices there...
    I've seen a few small "fixers" on 7,500 sq. ft. lots in Miloli'i that someone with an income of $65K/year could afford. Of course, the real housing bargains on the Big Island are in Hilo and Puna.
    Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Konguy, Jonah K....
      Does much of Miloli'i still look like the moon ? With those amazing ocean views there, how long can it stay desolate and undeveloped ? Eventually it would have to start seriously start building up, unless there is still the danger of lava flow covering there again. What's the situation with that ?
      http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
      Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
      Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

OK...I found THIS to answer my own question...
        http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/hazards/maps.html

Looks like it's in a zone 2. I know of the H.O.V.E (Hawaiian Ocean View Estates)...any other neighborhoods there besides this one ?

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN
          Totally individual. You are fortunate to be satisfied with a lifestyle that many others would find unacceptable, even intolerable, IMHO. Apparently, what you make is "enough" to satisfy your individual needs.

But will it always be? I don't know anything about you, of course. I am guessing you are still quite young?

Most people, IME, desire "things" (thinking of the George Carlin "stuff" routine). A decent car, a vacation once in a while, granite countertops, etc.

And when a family is a factor, we want things for our family. To make our lives and their lives more comfortable, more satisfying. To provide what we consider to be a good standard of living.

"Enough" is what makes you content. That tends to change as time goes by.
          Actually, I'm nearing "senior citizen" status I read a book quite a few years ago called "Your Money or Your Life", written by Joe Dominguez & Vicki Robin. It teaches you to learn the difference between want (wow, those granite countertops are really pretty - and they are so trendy & everyone is getting them) and need (what I really need is just a good, solid, easy to clean & maintain, work surface). and how many hours am I going to have to work to pay for the granite countertops and am I willing to make that much contribution to consumerism? Thats pretty much how I live my life - want vs. need. It makes life much simpler & easier.

I often have the feeling that if more people would learn what is "enough", there would be a lot more satisfied and productive people in the world. Of course, I would love to have more "stuff", a big fancy investment house, a bright shiny new car - but I have enough to get by and thats really all I ask from life.
          Last edited by anapuni808; September 15, 2006, 07:39 AM.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

and I just realized, I'm justifiying my lifestyle to strangers. Thats really stupid on my part - I only have to justify it to myself. Sorry for intruding my thoughts on the rest of you. I guess it was just an effort to encourage some introspection on this thread. My bad. Won't happen again.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
              Actually, I'm nearing "senior citizen" status I read a book quite a few years ago called "Your Money or Your Life", written by Joe Dominguez & Vicki Robin. It teaches you to learn the difference between want (wow, those granite countertops are really pretty - and they are so trendy & everyone is getting them) and need (what I really need is just a good, solid, easy to clean & maintain, work surface). and how many hours am I going to have to work to pay for the granite countertops and am I willing to make that much contribution to consumerism? Thats pretty much how I live my life - want vs. need. It makes life much simpler & easier.

I often have the feeling that if more people would learn what is "enough", there would be a lot more satisfied and productive people in the world. Of course, I would love to have more "stuff", a big fancy investment house, a bright shiny new car - but I have enough to get by and thats really all I ask from life.
              Right on anapuni. There is definietly something to be said for minimalism. It's something alot of people, myself included struggle with. Your stuff just sneaks up on you. Reminds me of the George Carlin bit about "Stuff" WindwardOahuRN mentioned. That's such a great bit, and SO true.

I hate those granite countertops. In 10-15 years you'll be watching HGTV House Hunters and the people will be saying "Eww...these dated granite countertops and stainless steel appliances need to go".

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808
                and I just realized, I'm justifiying my lifestyle to strangers. Thats really stupid on my part - I only have to justify it to myself. Sorry for intruding my thoughts on the rest of you. I guess it was just an effort to encourage some introspection on this thread. My bad. Won't happen again.
                Actually, I agree with you Anapuni.... you are truly correct. If we all just learn to live with just having enough of what we need... surely this world would be a better place for all. We are alllllll so buggggged down with "wanting" all the material things that sooner or later.... the material things will soon take over the human race...... I watch something on TV last week that talked about computers getting too smart by our design and if sooner or later computers will be able to take over.... this by our own creation to make life easy for us.

My Dad thought me while I was younger to learn the difference between need and want. I try my best to live by this principle... thanks Dad. You need water and food to live.... you don't need granite countertop to live or to cook in the kitchen.

This is why when people ask me.... so you are just going to sell all your things and move to HI.... I said... "YES"... those things don't make who I am and I surely can buy things at the other end as I need them. All pictures and keepsakes will be kept in a safe place. You need a roof over your head.. and as long as I have that... soon enough everything I "want" under that room will find it's way there one by one...

The more advance we get... the more complicated life gets....

So YES, on $65k are year.... I can live anywhere..... why don't you give me the job that is paying you that money and let me show you that you can live well with that income.

Mahalo... just the Queen's 2 cent
                Tayo

FINALLY HOME IN HAWAI'I!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
                Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki
                  Konguy, Jonah K....
                  Does much of Miloli'i still look like the moon ? With those amazing ocean views there, how long can it stay desolate and undeveloped ? Eventually it would have to start seriously start building up, unless there is still the danger of lava flow covering there again. What's the situation with that ?
                  The day has already come - Milolii has already started to build up. Yes, it might be revisited by lava. But, heck, the same can be said for Kailua-Kona, the volcano that sits above Kona (Hualalai) is overdue for an eruption. In general, the Big Island has lava, earthquakes, floods, and all sorts of the things that come with living on a growing (literally) island. But, that's the trade off for the beauty, wildness, and open spaces that Hawaii Island offers.
                  Last edited by SouthKona; September 15, 2006, 09:38 AM.

Comment

How is this for a salary:
                    Forbes estimates Adelson earned about $1 million an hour over the past two years.
                    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060921/...i_ge/forbes400

Yes.... that was per hour...!

Comment

Working...
                    X