Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Aloha - moving to the Islands

Originally posted by Moving to Makaha View Post
    a moog was one of the first types of electric pianos and he was one of the first users.
    Synthesizer, to be accurate - not an electric piano. Robert Moog developed the first commercially-successful synth, because it could be manufactured in a modular fashion, making them both cheaper and quicker to build. The name "Moog" became synonymous with synthesizers beginning in the late '60s, due to the runaway success of the album "Switched-On Bach."

Comment

I knew someone would correct me - I wrote that for ease not accuracy but thanks

Comment

I knew someone would correct me - I wrote that for ease not accuracy but thanks
        Uh-huh. Yeah, "electric piano" is easier than "synth," I guess...

Just teasing, MtM!

Comment

and the first pop record recording that featured a MOOG synth....

"Daily Nightly" by the Monkees. Mickey Dolenz had one of the early Moogs and used it on this song and "Star Collector" on the album "Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn and Jones ltd". You could hear how he was very excited by all the goofy space sounds he could produce, he went overboard on "Daily Nightly"...funny.

Arthur Lyman was Denny's vibes player, and then Lyman went out on his own. I would love to have seen them both playing in the 50's at Hilton Hawaiian Village in Waikiki back then.
          http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
          Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
          Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
            and the first pop record recording that featured a MOOG synth....
            "Daily Nightly" by the Monkees. Mickey Dolenz had one of the early Moogs and used it on this song and "Star Collector" on the album "Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn and Jones ltd". You could hear how he was very excited by all the goofy space sounds he could produce, he went overboard on "Daily Nightly"...funny.
            Though, in reality, Micky couldn't play fer crap (hardly anybody without an engineering degree could, in those days!); it was programmer Paul Beaver who got most of the sounds out of the Moog for that record.

Actor James Coburn was also an early Moog owner. Which has nothing to do with Arthur Lyman. Or Martin Denny. Or Makaha. Unless tutusue can find a way to bring it all together...but it is a severe case of thread drift, and those early Moogs suffered from severe pitch drift.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              [...]Actor James Coburn was also an early Moog owner. Which has nothing to do with Arthur Lyman. Or Martin Denny. Or Makaha. Unless tutusue can find a way to bring it all together...[...]
              Let's see...I live in Makaha and I used to work with celebrities. That said, I never worked with James Coburn. Hmmm...a pretty weak attempt at getting back on topic!

Comment

Well I asked the original question about Makaha and I have Moog module that I use, not very much though. So that kind of ties it together. And actually the first record recorded with one was by a band called the Zodiac.

Comment

Well I asked the original question about Makaha and I have Moog module that I use, not very much though. So that kind of ties it together. And actually the first record recorded with one was by a band called the Zodiac.
                  Zodiac huh ? Well, I did say "pop" record, so we're probably both right :-)

Pitch drift ? for sure...thread drift...definitely :-)

That being said, those tracks were my least favorite on that otherwise brilliant record.

Comment

Thanks for bringing it back around, MtM.
                    The Zodiac's "Cosmic Sounds" was long thought to be the first, but that is in dispute (see http://www.richieunterberger.com/zodiac.html for additional discussion.) It's another album that featured Paul Beaver, btw, working along with Mort Garson - who also did a synth LP called "Black Mass" under the name Lucifer. I still have both of these on vinyl.
                    Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                    That being said, those tracks were my least favorite on that otherwise brilliant record.
                    Man, the more I learn about you, tikiyaki, the more I like you. "Daily Nightly" was one of the most nonsensical things ever to come out of Nesmith's pen.

Comment

I agree you did say pop and you are right about the Monkeys.

Comment

Where did you find that - Good Find And I spelled the Monkees wrong Ok but can I use my keyboard with the moog module at Makaha Surfside or is it against the condo regs? I think we can talk about both now and stay on topic.

Comment

Tutusue did talk about Hawaiian music options in the area - MtM, would you care to describe your musical style here? (I know, can of worms and all that, but I'm curious.)

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            Thanks for bringing it back around, MtM.
                            The Zodiac's "Cosmic Sounds" was long thought to be the first, but that is in dispute (see http://www.richieunterberger.com/zodiac.html for additional discussion.) It's another album that featured Paul Beaver, btw, working along with Mort Garson - who also did a synth LP called "Black Mass" under the name Lucifer. I still have both of these on vinyl.Man, the more I learn about you, tikiyaki, the more I like you. "Daily Nightly" was one of the most nonsensical things ever to come out of Nesmith's pen.
                            Right back atcha Leo, you are a Banana Splits fan, so I know you have good taste...You're obviously are a serious record geek. next time I need to know something obscure, expect a email from me :-)

And yes, "Daily Nightly" is almost unlistenable consdering Nesmith wrote songs like "Papa Gene's Blues" and "Listen to the Band"...then again, it WAS the 60's. Beside, I think it was just a stupid vehicle for thier new toy (and almost getting back to the thread) ...The MOOG.

Comment

Let me see... I'm a singer songwriter I play guitar, piano, keys, drums, trumpet... I guess it be called pop/rock type of stuff I write and play for myself. I usually try to stay away from the whole labeling of music though. I like to let the song dictate the direction, style, and instruments for the music. I have a degree in Music, jazz and classical performance and I've been a back up singer for Kenny Rogers, lived in Nashville, and toured with some classical vocal groups. My biggest influences would be Bob Dylan and the Beatles / John Lennon. What about you Leo? And Tiki, you must play as well. We should get together and let Tutu do our publicity.

Comment

I'm not in Hawai`i (yet - many, many years in the future; until then, just the occasional visits to family on O`ahu); I play mostly Hawaiian tunes, on `ukulele & bass, for a hula halau in Seattle. But I am a music geek - my career has always been in the business (radio production and hosting, music programming, audio engineering, album production, etc.), and my home library is too damn large for any "normal" human being.

Comment

Working...
                                X