Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Moving to Oahu

Originally posted by dostoy View Post
    I found craigslist and the advertiser to be the most helpful getting a place. As for the car, I left mine at home and haven't needed it yet. Though I may think about getting on for while I am here, I have a parking space with my apartment. It wasn't worth it for me to ship my car from the eastcoast as it was pretty old allready and would be more trouble than it was worth.
    Aloha, Dostov. Sounds like things went well. Where are you living? Have you started work yet? Any questions?
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

WElCOME TO THE 50TH STATE, HAWAII NO PLACE LIKE IT IN THE WORLD...
      Best of luck to you and your girlfriend..........

OGGBOY
      bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Its been great! We settled in ok, living in Waikiki for now. I have been getting use to work, I am contracting at two different offices so it has been alot to get used to. We have started exploring the island and have decided we need to get surfboards and snorkeling gear. It is a very beautiful place, the people have been wonderful and the weather is incredible. Over all we are having a wonderful time.

Comment

Originally posted by dostoy View Post
          Its been great! We settled in ok, living in Waikiki for now. I have been getting use to work, I am contracting at two different offices so it has been alot to get used to. We have started exploring the island and have decided we need to get surfboards and snorkeling gear. It is a very beautiful place, the people have been wonderful and the weather is incredible. Over all we are having a wonderful time.
          Waikiki is a good place to first live when in Hawaii. I moved from Hickam to Kapahulu, to Kahalu'u, to Waikiki, to Foster Village, to Nuuanu, to Makiki, to Palolo, to Downtown to Hawaii Kai, since 1981 when I first got here.
          Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Waikiki is actually a pretty nice neighborhood. All the major Bus lines run through there, and you can get to major transfer points at Ala Moana, etc. in order to get to work or whatever. People think of it as tourist only, but that’s a bit of a misconception. The people there are a mixture of retired, working people, tourists, whatever. Senator Obama grew up there, and he wasn’t a tourist! Watch the Waikiki neighborhood meetings on ‘Olelo TV once. Not as much talk of tourists as one would expect, just mundane everyday issues. You’ll love Honolulu a lot as you get to know more of it.

A personal word of advice – do without a car, if you can. As long as most of the things you do are “in town” (as Honolulu is called by locals), The Bus can be just about all the transportation you need. What it really takes is determining to live without a car. My wife and I were surprised when we made the necessary adjustment to the pedestrian and Bus life. With the standard of living in Hawaii as high as it is, living the car-less life will save you a ton of money for other things.

Aloha!

Comment

Working...
            X