replied
    Re: Korea may fire missile toward Hawai'i

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
    The New York Times checks in (today 6/22):

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/23/us...i.html?_r=1&hp
    Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    As does today's Wall Street Journal:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124562763599235725.html
    Yep, they pretty much sums up my attitude.

"If can, can. If no can, no can."

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
    As does today's Wall Street Journal:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124562763599235725.html

Leave a comment:

• Kimo
    replied

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/23/us...i.html?_r=1&hp

Leave a comment:

• Random
    replied
    Re: Just My Two Cents.

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
    I look forward to the day (though I will not live to see it) when we have spent our carbon and nuclear fuels, and MUST rely on solar, wind and wave. Let them make bombs from that.
    I also look forward to that day too ... so I can contact the mothership hiding behind your moon to invade.

Humans make good slaves when pacified.

Leave a comment:

• matapule
    replied

Planned North Korea Missile Launch Has Hawaii Residents On Edge

Leave a comment:

• Adri
    replied

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
    While Pakistan's leader may be less stable, would a country with the Taliban running amuck in its hinterland be considered "stable"? Just a thought. /snip

Heh, no, not the whole country. I meant specifically the leader. I've seen a lot of speculation/opinion that Kim Jong-il is a mad man or mentally unstable (assuming he's really still alive *g*) in a way that I haven't seen applied towards Yousaf Raza Gilani or Manmohan Singh.

Leave a comment:

• joshuatree
    replied

Originally posted by Adri View Post
    There was some condemnation of India and Pakistan when they said they were going nuclear; however, neither India nor Pakistan were threatening to bomb the US or any country other than each other I believe. and, my own supposition without any real support, I think that the leaders of India and Pakistan weren't seen as unstable as the leader of N. Korea.
    While Pakistan's leader may be less stable, would a country with the Taliban running amuck in its hinterland be considered "stable"? Just a thought.

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
    Once, coal was our power source, then oil. In order to make our way into civilization, we needed power. Power to light lights, to power factories. But coal is dirty, and oil is getting scarce.
    Not highly advertised, but coal is still a major power source for our country. Hawaii with it's 90%+ dependence on oil is more of an exception. But coal supplied 52% of the baseload electricity generated in the US as recently as 2001. In regards to total power capacity, coal contributed 37%. So is coal considered "was" a power source or still "is"?

Leave a comment:

• Walkoff Balk
    replied

Kim Jong might be upset that his man love the Korean pop star Rain had a court appearance in Hawaii. As Stephen Colbert would shout, "RAIN" with his fist shaking up towards the heavens. Stephen Colbert and Rain had a dance off on the show.
    Last edited by Walkoff Balk; June 20, 2009, 10:30 PM. Reason: add

Leave a comment:

• Leo Lakio
    replied

Originally posted by matapule View Post
    Be prepared to put on your asbestos suit.
    Not in my presence. Very thoughtful (and thought-provoking) post, Braddah K.

Leave a comment:

• Kaonohi
    replied

Originally posted by matapule View Post
    Wow, Kaonohi, lots to ponder there! Be prepared to put on your asbestos suit. Matapule has your backside!
    You my kinda people!
    You watch my six, I'll watch yours! All this in addition to covering our own fronts, of course.
    I'm as prepared as is reasonably possible - we all die, it's just a matter of time - in the meantime I will do all I can to prevent it happening in an unjustified manner....

Leave a comment:

• matapule
    replied

Wow, Kaonohi, lots to ponder there! Be prepared to put on your asbestos suit. Matapule has your backside!

Leave a comment:

• Kaonohi
    replied
    Just My Two Cents.

Once, a hundred years ago or less, the USA had a two cent piece. No longer.
    Now all we have is the penny, the cent, the one-hundredth of a dollar, a dollar that bought what 10¢ bought 40 years ago.

Once, coal was our power source, then oil. In order to make our way into civilization, we needed power. Power to light lights, to power factories. But coal is dirty, and oil is getting scarce.

Although green energies are developing (solar, wind and wave/tide) they are developing more slowly than the needs are growing.

Developing countries want nuclear energy, and they want the side-effect of weapons to make themselves less vulnerable.

Can't blame them for that.

The alternative to letting nations develop their own nuclear facilities is to centralize the nuclear facilities and distribute the power 'at cost.' Right. Not from any capitalist country I know.

In the mid-1800's, the Colt 6-shooter was known as the "Peacemaker" or the "Equalizer." No king of the hill, everyone stood on the same ground, crazy OR NOT.

So, nuclear energy? Missiles? Shall they stay in the hands of the few or be equally distributed? Certainly it is frightening when a rogue country (as we view NK) has nukes and delivery systems.

We can hardly beat our nukes into plowshares, and disposal of spent fuel is still a problem, though it all came from the Earth anyway.

I look forward to the day (though I will not live to see it) when we have spent our carbon and nuclear fuels, and MUST rely on solar, wind and wave. Let them make bombs from that.

In the meantime, if we believe in Liberty, it should extend to ALL.

LIBERTY

Leave a comment:

• anapuni808
    replied
    Re: Korea may fire missle toward Hawai'i

Originally posted by musubi View Post
    I'll even sign a non-aggression pact with you if you want. Aloha and peace out...
    I can do that. Good idea!

Leave a comment:

• anapuni808
    replied

Interesting point, the international community did little to punish India or Pakistan when they went nuclear. Therefore, in NK's eyes, there is only one course and one to take, going nuclear.
    Originally posted by Adri View Post
    There was some condemnation of India and Pakistan when they said they were going nuclear; however, neither India nor Pakistan were threatening to bomb the US or any country other than each other I believe. and, my own supposition without any real support, I think that the leaders of India and Pakistan weren't seen as unstable as the leader of N. Korea.
    Both of these are very valid points.

Leave a comment:

• Adri
    replied
    Re: Korea may fire missle toward Hawai'i

Interesting point, the international community did little to punish India or Pakistan when they went nuclear. Therefore, in NK's eyes, there is only one course and one to take, going nuclear.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X