Gab Gone Guam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Guam v. Hawaii

^^^ i totally agree islanboi.... to think what we thought about hawai'ians and have them say negative remarks is just plain stupidity!!!!!

Comment

Yah ... sucks to be "ingorant."

Comment

Well, I've lived in Hawaii almost all my life, and have never heard anyone think that Hawaii is way better than Guam. One or two posters saying that they think it's better is by no means a general consensus of how the people of Hawaii feel about Guam and their residents.

I know a few people from Guam, and am proud to have them as friends.

ps. I'll bet our surf is better than yours, though

Comment

well....i lived on guahan, hawaii, california, north carolina, and panama (republic of...) and ALL of these places had the same thing in common....corrupted governments, high crime, bad schools, people who rode the welfare system as a way of life (not sure about panama really), people who looked down their noses at the locals, and people who didnt like people from across their state/town/country/provence/county. i think the reason why these five places have the same thing in common is because its populated by the HUMAN RACE!!!
          everybody has a place they consider to be "heaven on earth". for some its hawaii...for others its guahan...for others, its where they hang their beret....for others its wherever their children are. so many places...so many different reasons.
          i choose guahan over hawaii. my family is there....my mom's cooking is there....my brother, his wonderful wife, and their 2 children that i want to spoil on a regular bases are there...as well as my aunties, uncles, cousins etc. what isnt there is a job for me or my husband to pay da mortgage. BUT WAIT....that's not here in hawaii either!!! this is why my hubby "commutes" to the mainland to work. to commute from guahan to the mainland is even more ridiculous.
          i go home when i can...and at the first hint of family dramas....i like hawaii better!! LOL...............well..........when i started to type, i had a point that i wanted to drive home....but....i lost it.....so.....all this babbling for nothing. very typical of ME!!

oh...aaannnndddd........my husband (who's hawaiian) likes to surf guahan and hawaii. but winter time...he prefers guahan. brada just cant (and i wont let him try) to surf a 30 foot wave...and he no mo' da time to sit in haleiwa winter traffic to surf a wave he cant ride. he claims its easier to get into the line up on guahan than anywhere in hawaii....but he'll surf wherever...even israel...where he claimed the water looked gross.

Comment

Re: Howzit from Guahan!!

Originally posted by newroots View Post
            i talu.. basta man dagi dagi che'lu .. . but except for the government.. i think guams government is more messed up than the usual. and as for the ''beauty''... its long gone.. beauty was a thing of yestercentury. guam is begining to be very crowded and polluted. and were making all the hawaiians get angry.. IS THIS GUAM THREADS??? haha
            A few administrations ago, goverment officials had their selfish ways and the people didn't learn of it until after the fact. Now all governors and their officials will be labeled just as guilty until that day comes when all is well and stable and there is no deficit. That day is nowhere near. The current Governor and his officials are doing the people right and the next administration should do just as good, if not better.

The island is long from crowded and polluted. If you spend your time down in Tumon, you may get that impression but that is just the small "Hotel Row" we know as the tourist section. The north is far from over-developed and the south is still considered the country-side.

newroots, you are so far off but consistant with your generation "Laguna Beach."

The younger generations clown those not in tuned to the fashions and fads that television promote. Those truer to their roots or less concerned with FHM's guidelines to be hip are labelled "CHAUD." Funny thing is that those issuing this lable out are the ones we recognize as "Haole-Wanabees" or if you perfer, "Stateside-Wanabees." Of course their rebutal to that would be something to the affect of "nothing wrong in taking pride in how I present myself." In return, THERE'S NOTHING WRONG IN TAKING PRIDE IN OUR CULTURE. I where the lable of "CHAUD" as a badge of honor. I am proud of my house on Red Dirt Road Street and my children love it. Member TinaV and her family love it as well and TinaV always have a hard time getting her children back to HI when they do come to Guam. BTW, I'm from the north (Dededo) and there are no "gangsters" in the north.

The south is known to be "GANSTA." They proudly acknowledge themselves this way and I don't know why. I don't know anyone that cares anything about a seperation of the north and south other than those in the south. The southerns seperate themselves. The villages are less developed so yes, they have retained more natural beauty. That's no secret and I (a "Northerner") am not jealose. I'm proud.

Bottom line is that where ever you have television and newstands, you will have a cultural disconnect in the generations up and coming. It doesn't matter if it's Guam, Hawaii, Bali, etc. Guam has simular beauties Hawaii has but they still are different places with different cultures, thus different people. Don't compare them. Value them for what they offer.

Comment

Member MadAzza has pointed out that Guam is nothing like the US Mainland. Another member says Guam is too "Haolified" thus a turn-off. I guess we can conclude via MadAzza that Guam has very little reflection of the US Mainland and that little reflection is a turn-off. I guess to be a little "Haolified" isn't a good thing for most genuine pacific islanders. That's fine by me. I feel the same way.

For anyone listening and thinking they are learning something new here about Guam, let it be known that MadAzza's veiws are so very distorted and I think member Glossyp has noted some discrepancies in her ranting.

The people of Guam are very big hearted as well as hard working people with pride and integrity. We do have a generation that is lazy and spoiled but this generation is consistant in Hawaii, US Mainland and everywhere else. The kids of today are not expected to suceed their parents becuase we have spoiled them.

I am a 35 year old Director of a multi-million dollar company working for a "Haole" from the states. My stateside-hired predecessors all failed to do the job. As a matter of fact, all the company's state-side hires all have been fired and local hires have suceeded their roles and cleaned up all the mess they created. I'v just past my 5yr anniversary with this company since I started on the floor level.

My 35 year old wife is the Vice President of a multi-million dollar company and the "Haole" President (Owner) resides in Hawaii but is originally from TX. Let me add that she started with this company 6 years ago as a part timer so to spend time with our first child. 5 years later she is the VP.

Did I mention that she is from Agat(dad's side)/Asan (mom's side) and I am from Dededo. Surprisingly we are locals. Sorry to disappoint you guys.

Initiative, Incentive and Work Ethic not a trait of the locals? I am safe to assume that my wife and I are not the only success stories on island. Before it is suggested that we got here via "hook-up" program, I made sure to include that the owner's for both our company's are "Haoles" not having any history in Guam. We both started in on the very bottom entry level and have found success minus the owner's position.

Let's get back to the subject:

Guam vs Hawaii- You say Tomatoe. I say Potatoe. The same but different.
              (Gotta be island to understand that and it doesn't matter what FCKN island either)
              Last edited by udontno; October 3, 2006, 08:59 PM.

Comment

I grew up in Guam and have only visited Hawaii, so I don't feel I have the authority to really compare the two since my knowledge of Hawaii isn't comparable to my knowledge of Guam. I would only say that both are beautiful in their uniqueness, and one's beauty is different--though no less valuable--than the other's beauty.

Oh, and what snakes? That Discovery channel special was like fifteen years ago and even then it was chronicling events from years prior. In my entire life, I'd only seen four of them there and two of them were in the crappy zoo. I love Guam, but I will concede our zoo needs work, but that's okay. And can't our mutual love for Spam be a uniting factor?!

Comment

Originally posted by MochaDuchess View Post
                  And can't our mutual love for Spam be a uniting factor?!
                  YES MOCHA!!!!!!!!! we can...we can!!! i like my spam sliced thin, fried crispy with cold rice, ketchup, tabasco and pickled daigo/daikon.

SPAMLOVERSUNITE!!!!!

man, can we please put this subject to rest already. its so utterly ridiculous. every place on the face of this earth has positive and negative aspects to it. there will be lovers and haters.....there will be complainers and do-ers. God bless the whole world. No exceptions!!

Be the change you wish to see in the world. Ghandi

Comment

Originally posted by tinav View Post
                    man, can we please put this subject to rest already. its so utterly ridiculous. every place on the face of this earth has positive and negative aspects to it. there will be lovers and haters.....there will be complainers and do-ers. God bless the whole world. No exceptions!!
                    That's probably the only option because the comparison does nothing but stir each side up as has already been evidenced. I was born and raised on Guam, left when I was 18. I've lived in Honolulu for 21 years. I make a lot of comparisons but the better/worse evaluations serve no purpose. The subject line of this thread itself is senseless. What for?

Comment

they have guam vs. hawai'i in the pxc.... we had corey daneils vs. chris brub

i think corey daniels really should've won that match up ...a few other guys ... albert ''always bad'' manners , lost to joe taimanglo ... as far as guam vs. hawai'i which one is better .. i'd have to say hawai'i even though i never been there.
                      Ebb And Flow

Comment

why should we be proud of our roots??? ... we should be ashamed of ourselves ... we bicker with each other ... we rip each other off ... we make friends with the enemy , for personal gain ... the only way to truly succeed , is to unite as together , as one people , one blood , with one aim... i bet our ancestors are ashamed of us ... our health is poor , our island is poor .... and our situation is only getting worse.. just in the last 6 years .. islan guahan has went through significant changes. and their all bad.. its alot more crowded. alot more polluted. alot more chaotic. and alot more UGLY. guam is looking more and more like the motherf*ckin philipines..

if you want proof of what i'm saying. just look at the situation our government is in. the manamko our working to death. the kids are being mis-educated , and the school system is super bad. were stealing money from the people. the only way to change this , is to work as one.

we are the true tao tao tano! ... and its been 500 years too long that we've been held down. its not racist if we try to correct the unjustices that has been commited against us .. and still are being commited. and if it is racist , that my racism is justified.. becuase certain races have commited genocide to my ancestors.

deskata i natibu
                        Ebb And Flow

Comment

Guahan is so terrible with issues not common to any every other place in the world. People of Guahan are terrible. They are dishonest shameful criminals. The land is trashed. The area is over developed and over crowed with useless people and buildings. The people are unhealthy, poor and dumb with no ambition. Within the last 6 years, things have progressively gotten worse and the fate of the island is already secured to the undesireable/untolerable. The land and people have been held down for 500 years plus and today the people are still directly suffering a quality of life common to other war-filled third world countries where the chapter in their history books of civil war can not conclude as the was has been going on for many, many years and no end in sight. Where their bodies doomed from the war or disease or starvation litter the streets. Where death is accepted and expected every sunrise. Guahan is ranked in together with them. People of Guahan can not better themselves nor their island. They have no choice in the matter. The youth's future has been decided by those not their own. By those still holding the people down.

newroots, I obviously feel your pain and shame. You are a very educated fair judge. Guahan with its people is definitely the cess pool of the world and your shame in your land and blood is justified. Allow me to help you pack your belongings, bleach your skin and hair and book you immediate flight out to the greener grass where none of this sickening actions are not found. Do we need to consider a blood transfussion to rid the Guahan that pumps through you? I have even attempted to find a destination for you to root into but I'm having a hard time. Please do suggest where this fairy tale land can be found. Searching the net, I only found Neverland on the Disney page but no flights going that way. Should I call Peter Pan and Tinkerbell to pick you up? What can I do to help you relocate and to change your identity to something you can be proud of?

May I suggest to you before you continue bad mouthing Guahan, do some research and find out how the problems you identified are common where ever there is man. I have lived in 5 different states and many more different counties. I have many many more extended visits to many other states and counties. I have lived in two other countries out side of the US and visited too many more to count since my career has me traveling the globe. Political corruption and other crimes are always common where ever I have traveled. All of these places have history of some other foreign entity coming in and conquering their people and land. Many of them are still fighting today with weapons in hand and bodies at their feet. Most of these places are far from rich. FAR!

Before you go screaming how terrible Guahan and its people are so loud and proud, analyze how green that grass on the other side really is. It might surprise you how misrepresenting YOU REALLY ARE. You sad attempt to support your activist clan is very destructive and disruptive. I do hope that you are not singing the cries of a activist clan since your message is actually counter-productive to their cause. As bad as you made Guahan and its people out to me, the most accurate description I have for you is "IGNORANT." Move elsewhere and claim a different root because as ashamed as you are of Guahan, we are more ashamed of you FOR REALZ. Go back and slap the dog sh!t out of the person who has lead you down the wrong path because you truely are embarrassing.

I know I first said that you are educated and a fair judge. Well, I lied and you can add that to the list of traits Chamorrus have. We are also liars.

Comment

for someone who claims a widely-travelled resume, how is it that you fail to spark some economic and social ideas (and ideals) with which to combat Newsroots' claims and concerns? Why did you focus instead on a direct and personal bashing?

So after the two of you finish off your pissing contest, and after some other disaffected HT junkie yammers "take it to the ChammoroThreads board!", why not engage in tossing out ideas aimed to address the concerns of over-crowding, finite resource management, immigration policies, and how we Pacific Island people can unite in our shared responsibilities of keeping our isles happy and healthy in the Y2K?

I would love to do comparatives of US state vs territory, particularly what your international relations are like (e.g. tarrifs; do they apply when you want to buy a Toyota? What are your tax situations like? What is the population demographic like? Of all those problems "like anywhere else in the world", what unique ones do you have?)

Grumbling is the easy part. Let's take advantage of this medium and come up with good ideas. Please.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                              I would love to do comparatives of US state vs territory, particularly what your international relations are like (e.g. tarrifs; do they apply when you want to buy a Toyota? What are your tax situations like? What is the population demographic like? Of all those problems "like anywhere else in the world", what unique ones do you have?)
                              I will always consider Guahan home though I am not Chamoru. I will try to answer some of these questions. Guam is a duty free port but also subject to The Jones Act which really sucks and adds thousands to the annual cost of living for average people. Individual and corporate federal income taxes are paid but are returned to the coffers of GovGuam. There is a gross receipts tax (GRT) of 4% added to all goods.

The indigenous people (Chamoru) are not stupid or lazy and constitute the largest ethnic group. Next are Filipinos, then other Pacific Islanders. Caucasians and Asian represent less than 7% (each) of the population. There are lots of mixed race people as well. The Chamoru language is spoken widely after nearly dying out. Chamoru and English are both official languages and at the unicameral legislature debates and speeches are regularly heard in either language.

For those who don't know what a beautiful island Guahan is, I recommend this Flickr page of photos taken by my very talented friend. Guam is Beautiful

Comment

i lived in Guam for a year and a half...i hated it when i first got there...but it grew on me and i started to enjoy it..i left there in 91, and its good memories that i remember in that short time i was there. i miss Tarague beach

Comment

Working...
                                X