North Korea Practice????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: North Korea Practice????

CNN story here on the Kauai test, which involved the cooperation of a Japanese warship. Says that sea-based intercept system tests have succeeded seven out of eight times... compared to the five-out-of-ten record of land-based systems. So perhaps it's not as bad as I thought. Though at this point, National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley says only that the $11 billion system has "some limited operational capability."

The U.S. test was scheduled long before all this brouhaha with North Korea, but it's lovely timing nonetheless. "Don't you dare conduct missle tests, Pyongyang," Uncle Sam says. "Now, everybody, check this out!"

I still think the possibility that we could knock down a N. Korean test missile doesn't mean that actually doing so (or trying to do so) would be the best response.

All countries, the U.S. included, test their military capabilities all the time. Our tests span oceans and involve several allies. But another country taking direct action to disrupt such tests (drills, wargames, etc.) would probably be interpreted as an unequivocably hostile act... and grounds for a response, which would prompt another response...

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
      Says that sea-based intercept system tests have succeeded seven out of eight times... compared to the five-out-of-ten record of land-based systems.
      I think the land based interceptors were some time ago. So whatever pitfalls they experince they put to use in these series of test.

Besides the sea based interceptors were meant to protect Navy warships against missile attacks, not for the Navy warships to go against missiles that are aimed at far away targets. As an example a Navy ship with this system couldn't be deployed off the coast of Washington state to protect against missiles aimed at cities in the State of Iowa, whose flight path is coming from the North Pole.

Comment

Looks like they launched possibly 4 missles today...(2 for sure were reported in this article)

anyone think it's ironic that it's our independence day as well as the lift off of the space shuttle?

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/world/north_korea

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
          Looks like they launched possibly 4 missles today...(2 for sure were reported in this article)

anyone think it's ironic that it's our independence day as well as the lift off of the space shuttle?

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/world/north_korea
          Update: Apparently they DID attempt to launch that long-range Taepodong-2 missile but it failed 30-40 seconds after liftoff. Here's a list of the North Korean missile arsenal...they got missiles for Japan, S. Korea and the US.

It'll be interesting to see what Japan does in light of the latest test of the Taepodong.

Miulang

P.S. as with the timing of the recorded exhortations of Osama bin Ladin, there is no such thing as a "coincidence". This is all being carefully choreographed to exploit each ideology's attempt to flex its muscles.
          Last edited by Miulang; July 4, 2006, 11:58 AM.
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

It seems that Kim has a sense of humour.
            http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
            http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

failed 30-40 seconds after liftoff

Remember when the funding for "Star Wars" was cut off. Congress stated they could no longer pay for it. The leftist media celebrated the failed Reagan idea.

Did you ever wonder if the reason funding was cut is because the system was finished?

Then the Korean missile blows up in 40 seconds..........

Those with a misunderstanding of technology will never believe how far things have truly come.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon
                It seems that Kim has a sense of humour.
                I hope footage of the failed launch surfaces, and the world finds the missle exploded into a cascade of red, white and blue... or maybe formed a happy face or something.

Comment

Uh.....thought you might wanna know where that missile was headed.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectID=10390199

You can kinda be assured that the testing off of Kauai recently should prevent this from ever hitting land.

Still scary.
                  You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

We hearing it on the news...

So many people of Korean descent here... sad they would go after us.

However, it was just aimed at us... and you see what happened...

bachi...when backfire! no mess w/ us!

maybe they were thinking they can send their military trash to the waters off Hawaii...

I mean our own military did

Comment

There is no such thing as "coincidence" just good intel.

The recent activity off the Hawaiian coast should help you see that.

http://www.voanews.com/english/2006-06-21-voa56.cfm

Plus, a AEGIS equipped Japanese destroyer, the Kirishima, was standing by.

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Japa...risis_999.html

Coincidence???

Sleep well tonight. Someone thinks you are worth protecting.
                      You Look Like I Need A Drink

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
                        We hearing it on the news...

So many people of Korean descent here... sad they would go after us.
                        Since when does the Kim Jong-il care about *any* Koreans — North, South or elsewhere?

And if Hawaii had no people of Korean ancestry, would an attack by North Korea be OK, then?

What's really sad is that the people of North Korea have to live under that megalomaniac.

Comment

Thank goodness his missile technology is so old!
                          * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                          - Anna Quindlen

Comment

In today's StarBulletin http://starbulletin.com/2006/07/07/news/story02.html
                            "Report: N. Korea targeted Hawaii"

"North Korea targeted waters near Hawaii when it fired a long-range missile this week, according to a Japanese newspaper report that isle military officials immediately downplayed."

"The U.S. Pacific Command could not verify the report," said Navy Capt. Jeff Alderson, spokesman for the Commander in Chief of the Pacific. "The U.S. Pacific Command continues to pay attention to the situation."

I slept good last night...I know somebody is watching over us!

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

If the missile hits the south coast of Maui, then it's pau Hana.

Anywhere, and we're in deep Kim-chee.

Comment

Hawaii is rife with pacifists, liberals, and anti-military feelings. Here in South Kona, it's practically a religion.

If I was a brutal, crazed dictator, I can think of no better place to aim my weapons for practice.
                                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Working...
                                X