This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 2008 Presidential Elections - Chapter 2

There always is. Sadly, doesn't mean there is always someone to get excited about and actually "believe in" and work for.

Do you have a favorite candidate this coming election? and if so, mind sharing that that person stands for and wants to fight for or against that is making you look forward to using your valuable time and vote for them?
    Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
      But with that said, there's more to this year's election other than the Presidential race.
      Who's running in the local election here?
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
        Who's running in the local election here?
        Honolulu mayor, for one thing. And why shouldn't that election be important, seeing as how many people have strong opinions about rail transit?
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Frankie, I've been too busy to pay attention to anyone that is running for mayor. Do you have a favorite? please share the name and a synopsis of why you believe in this person so I can take a look. Mufi has turned out to be a bit like a dictator on this rail, and I'm against it all the way and thrilled that we have a chance to put it to a VOTE!

See?! if we vote on rail then I can have something to believe in and a reason to vote. I of course will leave the presidential election empty but can be at the polls if we vote on rail, as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Karen View Post
            Frankie, I've been too busy to pay attention to anyone that is running for mayor. Do you have a favorite? please share the name and a synopsis of why you believe in this person so I can take a look. Mufi has turned out to be a bit like a dictator on this rail, and I'm against it all the way and thrilled that we have a chance to put it to a VOTE!
            So, when will the progressive Honolulu be ready for rail (not necessarily steel-on-steel)? When it looks like Judge Dredd's Mega-City One? Star Wars's Coruscant?

Of course, and I mean this with much aloha in my heart for anyone reading this, I don't want you guys start thinking of moving residency into underdeveloped places like Moloka'i.

Are you willing to give up your cars, regardless of how big your family is?

Comment

When? I have a better question.

Will Honolulu ever be ready for rail?

Nope, I will not be giving up my car, or our truck.

Comment

You wouldn't have to. You could use rail mass transit during rush hour commuting times, and use a car for every other situation, just like most people do in cities with railways.

Comment

Vanguard, I won't even be stopping, getting out of my car and using my time to get onto rail, stand in any line, or anything. As most of the people I talk to, my neighbors, dentist, physician, etc....I won't use rail except maybe once in some touristy, goofy whim when showing the island to visitors or something. Once, sure...just to see what I paid for, IF...

we don't defeat the thing. I suspect if we get it on the ballot, it's history and thank the Lord, if so.

Comment

I think the problem with rail is because you can't do anything once you're at work?

Some commuters send their kids to schools in town so how do you drop off and pick up your kids using rail? Too bad the HSF cannot be used for this commute. Pick up 500 cars per ferry and haul them to Honolulu Harbor and back. Run three ferrys doing three runs and that's a lot of cars off the freeway.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                      Too bad the HSF cannot be used for this commute. Pick up 500 cars per ferry and haul them to Honolulu Harbor and back. Run three ferrys doing three runs and that's a lot of cars off the freeway.
                      Well, if the knock against rail is that it will be underutilized, I can imagine the same, nay greater, problem with a car ferry. Everybody will hope that the "other guy" will use the ferry while they stick to the road. And you'll have the fear that putting your car on the ferry often will over expose your car to salt air and its corrosive effects.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

OMG y'all, how did we do this?? A mention of cars and are we ready to give them up and we got off on the rail, as if we were on that thread. Maybe one of the mods will move our few posts that inadvertently did this, over to the rail thread cuz hey! there's big news for this thread, tonight.

Hillary won PA. Gag me with a spoon, LOL so....no, this doesn't call the nomination or election, but it sure did give her unworthy self a lot of smiles and yet Obama continues to exude honor and respect, unlike her.

So! back to basics so far as I am concerned and for me and this thread that means....will I/we be saying, in the fall....

"President Clinton with Obama as her VP" or...

"President Obama" with her as his VP?

Your Dem's convention can bring anything, and surprises may be in the mix.

Comment

When the dust settles, Clinton's win in PA will net her how many elected delegates? 15-16? A rather small dent in Obama's lead at this point in the game. With yet another big population state having completed its primary, Obama has just about locked up the lead in pledged delegates. Hillary's only chance at this point is to sway the superdelegates. It won't be an easy task.

But I think Hillary's double-digit win in the PA's popular vote count is important, as it will re-inject her nearly depleted campaign coffers with sorely needed funds that will be needed for yet another do-or-die day on May 6. Obama's got North Carolina in the bag, so much of the speculation will center around how Indiana votes. Hoosier land will be a must-win state for Hillary.

As far as the possibility of an Obama/Clinton ticket, I've said it before and I say it again. With a lead in pledged delegates, hell will freeze over first before Obama accepts a V-P slot under Clinton. So if the two ever get together, it will be Obama/Clinton, not the other way around.

The two senators and their respective staffs don't have much love for each other, now and even if they are pressured into running on the same ticket. I wouldn't bet on it happening at this point. But an Obama/Clinton ticket wouldn't be the strangest pairing I've seen. I still remember Kennedy/Johnson and Reagan/Bush.

Comment

Yeah, Kennedy was too good for Johnson, and Reagan was too good for Bush.

However, when you have two candidates that are this popular in a party, and the common sense thing would be to unite them for the good of the party, I see it as a no-brainer. I don't like either of them personally. I simply see that together they are a fantastic, history-making, winning ticket and this has been what I have expected for over a year.

How can they not do it...."for the good of the party" and so they will claim, same for the country.

Comment

You make it sound like you're from Moloka'i. No (city) bus.

Comment

re hillary's win in PA:

the bitch just won't effin' die, will she??!!!

which suits this bitch *points to self* just perfectly fine.

as eric would say, "cheeeee huuuuuu!"

carry on...all the way to the convention if need be. oh, and let me remind you that ted kennedy did as he chided hillary not to do, back when he ran for president, and with a race that was nowhere near as tight as the obama-clinton one is now.
                                superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Working...
                                X