Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why to vote Republican this time.......

Originally posted by mcnabbmcnow
    If the Republicans are using fear to get peoples votes over terrorism, the Democrats are doing the same thing with fear over losing your social security or a draft.
    The Democrats are pushing hope and not fear this year. The hope is that if the Dems win, things will get better for this country, not stay the same or get worse.

And just for the record, most Americans think the flu vaccine shortage is a joke. This only matters for people over 75, and even if you get a flu shot, you could end up getting an entirely different strand of flu. Doctors on the news said that the risk of anyone dying from this is incredibly, incredibly small, and usually it is elderly people who have other problems. The average American doesn't even think about flu shots.
    . Yeah, and that's why thousands of people wait for hours and hours and hours (at least one woman has died from fainting and hitting her head on the pavement, and others have suffered from heat stroke). That's why up here, people are paying to go on "flu shot cruises" to Victoria, BC because they have stood in line for hours here in the US and have been unable to get a shot.

The only people who don't think it's a crisis are the young people and people who have been brainwashed by the Administration into a false sense of security. And for your information, the CDC recommends flu shots for young children, 6-24 months, women who will be pregnant during the flu season, people of any age with chronic health conditions and those over 65. That's a whole lot more people than just those over 75.

Epidemiologists are predicting that another flu pandemic can occur anytime. The death toll from the last one in 1918 would make the death toll from the last 3 wars (including Iraq) look inconsequential. I'm sorry you're only worried about yourself and not the health of the entire nation. I am worried that if we don't have the ability to protect our citizens against something as "trivial" (in your estimation) as influenza, which we know happens every year, how will we be able to protect our citizens against bioterrorism, which could happen at any time???

Miulang

BTW: I don't know if this is true, but there is speculation that the "contamination" found in the botched batches of flu vaccine in Liverpool might have been some attempt at bioterrorism. Even if that isn't the case, why are we allowing medicines that are meant to protect our citizens, to be manufactured overseas? Why can't we manufacture those things---give the pharmaceutical companies incentives--to produce public health vaccines here in this country and have the government subsidize the cost? Certainly the pharmaceutical companies make enough profit from their other drugs which are advertised all over the place.
    Last edited by Miulang; October 25, 2004, 07:18 AM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by mcnabbmcnow
      I'd look at different reasons.
      Care to elaborate ?
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

Regarding the flu, in a "normal" year 36,000 people die from it, according to the CDC. So in a year when many millions of people will not be able to get the shot, that number could rise dramatically.
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

First off we changed parties during Vietnam from LBJ to Nixon so you cant say that its essential that we remain with the same administration during a War.

Also I would be shaking in my boots if I was a Republican and read some of these posts by Republicans who say they are voting for Kerry this time.

People always say a incumbent has a good shot at winning re-election and
          while that may be true, I can guarantee that Bush has lost a ton of votes this time around based on voters knowing what they get from him, not being happy with the Iraq War, stem-cell research, gay rights, the loss of jobs, recession, etc.

He could potentially have lost several million votes based on people who voted for him in 2000 and cant stand him now and in a close election it could make the difference.

While I see Republicans for Kerry websites, Bush relatives for Kerry websites,
          tons of anti-Bush websites and I know for a fact many Republican friends and family members are voting for Kerry this year all makes it that much difficult for Bush to pull out a victory.

KalihiBoy

Comment

If this election is not clearly a landslide, we've got a nation of soulless, clueless morons!

Osama admitted for the first time he took down the towers, maiming & killing so many of our people.

Osama WANTS Kerry as president. Sure, I have issues with Bush, but I know that no man is alive today that walks on water, nor that I would agree totally with.

Bottom line which should be the bottom line with EVERyone, is that...

A vote for Kerry IS a vote for Bin laden. Not an exaggeration, nor is it anything but the horrible truth.
            Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Originally posted by Karen
              Osama WANTS Kerry as president... A vote for Kerry IS a vote for Bin laden.
              Or you could say Osama bin Laden wanted to fan the terrorism flames to bolster Bush's fearmongering and ensure the landslide you're hoping for. After all, Bush is the best thing that ever happened to Bin Laden -- from his global recruitment efforts to... well, his continued survival.

Fact is, Osama's declarations benefit neither side. He made no explicit endorsement simply because it's broad American policy, not any particular candidate, that he continues to rail against. At best the tape polarizes things even more (as your post proves) - Bush supporters will go, "See, this is why we need someone strong on terror!" Kerry supporters will go, "Because of Bush's diversion in Iraq, this guy is still out there sticking his tongue out at us."

Comment

If this election is not clearly a landslide, we've got a nation of soulless, clueless morons!
                Well consider you one of the village idiots because all polls indicate it will be a close election and not a landslide for either candidate.

Osama admitted for the first time he took down the towers, maiming & killing so many of our people.
                As if we didnt know that already, what is new?

A vote for Kerry IS a vote for Bin laden. Not an exaggeration, nor is it anything but the horrible truth.
                Seems like you are no better than Osama and are into scare tactics to convince people to vote for your man.

Despite what this administration says terrorism, Osama, 911, etc. isnt on the minds of Americans each and every second but you guys sure want to keep talking about it because its the only record you can stand on.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Hi Kalihiboy,

It isn't the only leg I stand on. I continue to stand on the leg of platform issues. The Dems favor gay rights, abortion, big unions, trial lawyers, & all of the things I am against. I have a lot of issues that keep me from ever voting for any Democrat, from the getgo.

Terrorism is the biggest issue in most voters' minds this election. We have a lot of Dems. voting for Bush in hawaii. They may be voting against Kerry, or for Bush, either way it speaks volumes.

Bin Laden wants Kerry. No, he isn't doing it to keep Bush, but you can claim that as often as you wish. Kerry supporters should be embarassed that terrorists prefer their man. It's a no brainer, but I also understand why many must deny it.
                  Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

It isn't the only leg I stand on. I continue to stand on the leg of platform issues. The Dems favor gay rights, abortion, big unions, trial lawyers, & all of the things I am against. I have a lot of issues that keep me from ever voting for any Democrat, from the getgo.
                    Well we obviously disagree on those major platform issues and that is what seperates us and many Americans. I'm glad that terrorism isnt the only issue you care about for I believe the GOP wants to only run on that platform which I think is wrong. I agree fighting terrorism is a strong part of Bush's platform and its a record he should be proud of, but I think there are other things the voters care about.

Terrorism is the biggest issue in most voters' minds this election. We have a lot of Dems. voting for Bush in hawaii. They may be voting against Kerry, or for Bush, either way it speaks volumes.

I respectfully disagree that Terrorism is the biggest issue on voter's mind this election. I'll admit it's factor is in play much more in 2004 than it was in 2000, when neither Vice President Gore or Governor Bush mentioned national security.

People care about their jobs, their salary, their healthcare, the environment things that surround them on a daily basis. I'm sorry but its far more important to balance your checkbook than it is to think about terrorism on your mind 24-7 as if it encompasses your life. That is being paranoid and buying into the GOP propoganda.

9-11 is done and over with, nothing has happened since and I credit Bush for making the NATION safer, but you have to think voters think of 911 as out of sight, out of mind.

If the election were held in 2002, when the GOP did so well during the mid-term elections, Bush was riding the 911 coat-tails, there was no war in Iraq, the world still felt sympathy to the United States for what happened and we were still respected in the world. About the only negative thing Bush had going in 2002 was the poor economy and recession, but I think despite all of that he would have won in a landslide had there been a election in 2002.

Its now 2004 and Bush lost all his 90% popularity (similiar to his father), we're fighting a war in Iraq that hasnt gone good as planned, the wordld doesnt respect us anymore and his administration presided over the worst jobless recovery since the Great Depression.

If I were Bush I would be sweating bullets on election night as there isnt too many good things going for him and he has lost millions of votes I guarantee from people in 2000 who wanted to give him a chance and now know what they get. You see Bush has had 4 years and people know what they can expect, Kerry hasnt had that chance yet and I think the American people are willing to give him that chance and will vote him in on Tuesday, November 2nd.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Cheeky bugger, that Osama. His "speech to the American people" was masterful, in its way.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
                        I'm voting for Kerry. I'm 28 and frankly deathly afraid of the path
                        "W" is taking us down.

1. He has cut taxes for the wealthy

He cuts taxes for EVERYONE. The reason you can't put the weathly in a high tax bracket is that puts small businesses in that SAME high tax bracket, costing jobs, which doesn't help the lower and middle classes.

2. But instead of reducing the size of government, he has expanded it

In response to terrorism, yes.

3. Thus leaving us with a huge federal deficit

Security at this point is more important than the deficit.

4. His No Child Left Behind is poor excuse to make our schools better.
                        Actually in my opinion it is making things worse, irrepairably.

Is that why test scores have gone up and the achievement gap for minorities has gotten significantly less? Not saying it is perfect, but it is better.

5. He lead us into a no win situation in Iraq. Basing his reasoning on
                        invading Iraq on false pretenses, where are all those WMD's

Iraq is important and the Middle East is important for the future of our country. Saddam killed 2 million plus people and tried to obtain WMD's. We can't expect to change their way of thinking overnight, but eventually, hopefully they see how a democracy works.

6. His policies on fighting terrorism are isolating the United States from
                        the rest of the world.

Wrong. Countries like Russia and France were already taking secret bribes from Saddam behind our back of oil, for cheap prices. The UN was more corrupt than even us.

7. His domestic anti-terrorism policies are slowly turning the United States
                        into a police state
                        8. Bush's trickle down economics policy has been a failure. The economy
                        is still stuck in mud. While the exportation of Amerian jobs is still happening
                        at a furious pace.

9-11 cost us a million jobs and Clinton left us with a 6 month recession. The economy in the US performed at a better rate than economies in other countries in comparison...

These are my reasons why I will be voting for John Kerry. I urge people still
                        on the fence to look closely at the issues above and think if you really
                        want another four years of Bush.
                        You have the right to vote how you want.

Comment

Bin Laden wants Kerry. No, he isn't doing it to keep Bush, but you can claim that as often as you wish. Kerry supporters should be embarassed that terrorists prefer their man. It's a no brainer, but I also understand why many must deny it.
                          Thanks Karen.

The vocal liberals and others with a liberal slant on this board love to tear down all conservative values, social morals, American traditions, a strong military, fiscal discipline, our nation's aggresive posture to preserve national security to advance their immoral and liberal agenda.

Liberals want more government and more taxes to build and fund their liberal agenda of perpetuating gay marriages, abortion, partial birth abortions, stripping second amendment rights, building transportation systems that hardly anyone uses, among a sad liteny of stuff that is harmful to conservative American tradition, incomes and values.

Why do we continually stick our necks out to offer ourselves as targets for the left wing liberals here? Probably the best thing conservatives can do is to stay away from the politically charged topics of this board. Let the vocal liberals rant and rave without us and play within their mutual admiration society until they are bored silly.

They don't need us because all they want to do is sling vocal arrows in every post that we make that stands up for conservative, traditional American values and principles.

Hopefully this nation will wake up on Tuesday and offer American tradition and values the mandate it so surely deserves. If not, at least a squeaky win for our Presidential team and other Republicans all over the nation and maybe even in Hawaii.

If not we are surely going down the road to hell in a handbasket.

God Bless You Karen. God Bless America!

Last edited by mel; October 30, 2004, 08:47 PM. Reason: hotlink
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Mel,
                            I have to laugh on your posting. You want fiscal discipline and no new taxes.
                            But low and behold "W" has expanded the federal government while cutting
                            taxes for the wealthy. Hmmm I see something wrong here, when you cut
                            taxes if you used fiscal prudence you would cut government services. As the
                            revenue will not meet the expenses. This is exactly what has transpired here.
                            "W" has wiped out a budget surplus to a large deficit.Mel you portray the Republicans as leaders of fiscal discipline. I'm still waiting to see evidence of that.

I also see a troubling path in your arguments. Whoever disagrees with you
                            you characterize them as liberals.Typical Republican tactic when you don't
                            have a solid record to stand on, you play dirty. I'll give you an example,
                            Republican Paul Whalen mentioned homophobic comments about his democratic
                            challenger, that he was gay. Now really if Paul Whalen had a solid record
                            this mudslinging would be not necessary. Talk about
                            the real issues like infrastructure, the schools etc, not their sexual orientation.
                            Last edited by Aaron S; October 31, 2004, 01:51 AM.
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

That is almost as laughable as Bill Mahers book titled " When you drive a
                              car you are driving with bin laden'
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

You want fiscal discipline and no new taxes. But low and behold "W" has expanded the federal government while cutting taxes for the wealthy. Hmmm I see something wrong here, when you cut taxes if you used fiscal prudence you would cut government services.
                                Don't forget it is the so called wealthy, the business owners who provide many jobs in the private sector. Without the wealthy and a healthy private sector there are no jobs for many of the people. You also forget the tax cuts were across the board. My Dad who is a die hard Democrat was very happy when he got his tax break a few years ago. And he ain't rich, just average and happy as a clam to get anything back.

Money that is returned or left in taxpayer wallets benefit us all... you, your friends, relatives and everyone. We have more buying power to do as we please with the money we earn.

And yes, I do believe government services need to be cut in order to help balance the budget. The sad thing in this case is that we are in a war situation and the cost for our homeland security department is immense which we never had before 9-11. Those were unanticipated costs. If the previous president, Willam J. did his job and dealt directly with the same terrorists we are fighting against today, perhaps things would have been different.

Mel you portray the Republicans as leaders of fiscal discipline. I'm still waiting to see evidence of that.
                                My basis for this lies mostly in local politics. I've been to the legislature and seen the Democrats vote for most of the tax increase bills while Republicans have been the pillar against wasteful spending and tax increases for many years locally.

Whoever disagrees with you you characterize them as liberals.
                                On a per post basis, the viewpoint opposing whatever I say is liberal. Very simple. On a larger basis, if you count the posts within most of the political topics on this board you will find those with a liberal bias in the overwhelming majority as several of you bear down and pound the conservative posts made here by people such as Karen among others or create topics just to pound away at conservative values. I remember Adri got pounded very hard by the liberal leftists here after he brought up a topic about what was it now... same sex marriage. He learned very quickly not to do this.

That is why I don't start topics in this American Asylum (which should be renamed the Liberal Haven) about the President, Republicans, etc. because all would be invitations for the vocal liberals here to pound the conservatives.

The posts left by the vocal liberals here are very cruel too against conservatives and traditional values... calling the president "Dubya" and all that.

Last edited by mel; October 31, 2004, 06:51 AM. Reason: fix typo
                                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X