Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Unsettled Economy & The Bailout

Originally posted by timkona View Post
    The price of labor in America is way out of sync with the rest of the planet.
    So is the cost of goods and services, especially medical care. Since the majority of American workers get their care and goods in America, it's rather ridiculous to compare their salaries with the rest of the world.

Comment

http://money.cnn.com/2008/11/09/news...ion=2008110922

"/snip
      DHL's parent company, German-based Deutsche Post World Net, will announce plans for its U.S. operations to investors Monday, said spokesman Jonathan Baker. He did not respond to published reports that Deutsche Post has ordered roughly 8,000 layoffs at DHL's Wilmington hub.
      /snip"

CNN on tv just said that they expect 10,000 layoffs in Wilmington. My sympathies to the people who will be affected by the layoff if there is one. The government in Ohio is scrambling for emergency aid in anticipation of the layoff.

Comment

While everyone's been focused on the $700B bailout plan, the Treasury Department has pulled a ninja move by removing a 20+ year old law which prevented companies from dodging taxes. Apparently this is the cornerstone to some of the recent bank mergers. Banks are giddy and plan to use the expected bailout money to buy failing banks and use them as tax shelters. Some law makers are furious, some think it's illegal, but they're afraid public exposure will ruin the economy.

"It's just like after September 11. Back then no one wanted to be seen as not patriotic, and now no one wants to be seen as not doing all they can to save the financial system,"
        http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...110902155.html
        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
        "
        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
          "/snip
          DHL's parent company, German-based Deutsche Post World Net, will announce plans for its U.S. operations to investors Monday, said spokesman Jonathan Baker. He did not respond to published reports that Deutsche Post has ordered roughly 8,000 layoffs at DHL's Wilmington hub.
          /snip"

CNN on tv just said that they expect 10,000 layoffs in Wilmington. My sympathies to the people who will be affected by the layoff if there is one. The government in Ohio is scrambling for emergency aid in anticipation of the layoff.
          Last week, Circuit City announced plans to close 20% of its stores and lay off more than 3,000 workers. Today, they declare for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, with plans to lay off more employees.

Well, for anyone who thought that the stock market crash's impact would be confined to Wall Street and would not impact the folks on Main Street (and y'all know who you are), here's reality hitting ya,..... right in the face.

This is going to be a deeper and longer laster recession than the ones Reagan and Clinton had to deal with.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

And it's all Obama's fault!
            https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Yeah, I heard Rush Limbaugh is already calling it "Obama's Recession".

Comment

2 years ago Congress went Democrat.
                A Little after that, the economy started tanking.

Did you ever wonder if, maybe, it's not Obama nor Bush's fault?
                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

The economy started tanking when Reagan took office 28 years ago. All these years we have been living in false prosperity by living on credit both personally and nationally. Let's not re-write history.
                  Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Yeah but what about the Clinton Surplus?

FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                      Let's not re-write history.
                      In my re-written history, Freddie Mercury lives, performs nightly concerts at the Waikiki Shell, and destroys Asteroid 2002 MN while singing the Flash Gordon theme song.

And I somehow invest in Google right before it goes public.

Comment

like it or not, yachts, vacation homes, extravagant parties, private jets, etc. all equal jobs. the wealthy pay the lions share of taxes and provide the lions share of jobs in our country. when they outsource they contribute to tax bases elsewhere and put food on the table of people that are not american.
                        In kona, if it were not for the wealthy we would all be farming or fishing or starving, honorable trades, but i'm just saying.
                        the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

America Discovers That Bailout Will Be Used To Pay Wall Street Bonuses

I am positively shocked and beside myself!

Comment

Yeah but what about the Clinton Surplus?
                            Yes, I didn't bring it up,....... I wanted you to bring it up.....which you did. Thank you! Yes, Clinton was able to balance the budget and pass a surplus on to W. Yes, 20 years under republican leadership and the economy goes into the tank. 8 years under democrat leadership and the economy shows improvement. And you Tim voted for more of that 20 year pattern with McCain. The economy has been under assault from the time that Reaganomics was initiated in 1980 with the exception of 8 years under Clinton. Tim are you seeing a pattern here?

So far Obama appears to be indicating a return to Clinton era economics. But I will be watching him closely. No free ride for Obama from me. Conceptually I am opposed to a bailout for the Detroit automakers, but he devil is in the details, so we shall wait and see exactly what Obama does. I do not want to reward 50 years of bad decisions and mismanagement by Detroit. In my opinion, Detroit automakers are worth salvaging if they are committed to producing small energy efficient autos using alternative forms of energy. No more Hummers and Escalades! Detroit is cabable of producing cars that meet the demands of the future and will make us virtually independent from foreign oil. If we can put a man on the moon within 3 years of starting a program, we can build and mass produce a hybrid/electric car that will get in excess of 100 mpg for under $20K within 3 years. And that would just be the first step toward reclaiming our position as the premier automaker in the world!

YES WE CAN!
                            Last edited by matapule; November 11, 2008, 10:37 AM.

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Yup, I'm totally with ya on the MPG thing. '01 Echo been gettin 38 solid for years. That sucker has 120k miles already. Who says Hawaii ain't the Big Island.

The '06 Corolla gets 44 with a few tricks up my sleeve. And a lot of coasting downhill with the engine off.

I will be honest. At one point in my life, I actually cast a vote for Ross Perot. Talk about wasting a vote. Too bad he never won. Maybe all this could be averted.

Or maybe it's an unavoidable reality due to the demographic impacts of such a large number of folks in the same age group. And you know who you are.
                              FutureNewsNetwork.com

Comment

And a lot of coasting downhill with the engine off.
                                Careful with the steering wheel lock! I would hate to lose my number 1 punching bag on HT!

I will be honest. At one point in my life, I actually cast a vote for Ross Perot. Talk about wasting a vote.
                                I can do you one better, once I actually wrote in Mickey Mouse.

Or maybe it's an unavoidable reality due to the demographic impacts of such a large number of folks in the same age group. And you know who you are.
                                Tutu and I are going to have a bake sale to rescue the economy.

Hang on! Help is on the way! YES WE CAN!

Comment

Working...
                                X