Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Presidential debates

Originally posted by timkona View Post
    Obama, with a Punahou/Harvard pedigree, could prolly be fairly called uppity, regardless of color.
    Both my brother and sister as well as my childhood best friend graduated from Punahou. I don’t consider any of them “uppity.”

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

Take out the racist ref in uppity, and BO is indeed uppity. So what? He's not a prick.
      But when the term is used by a republican about a black person, it certainly smells really bad.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

'Uppity woman' - usually meant she was gonna catch a fist
        'Uppity n*****' - usually meant someone was gonna catch a noose.

from the Etymology dictionary...

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=uppity

uppity

1880, from up; originally used by blacks of other blacks felt to be too self-assertive (first recorded use is in "Uncle Remus"). The parallel British variant uppish (1678) originally meant "lavish;" the sense of "conceited, arrogant" being first recorded 1734.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
          Obama, with a Punahou/Harvard pedigree, could prolly be fairly called uppity, regardless of color.
          On what basis would Obama be called "uppity," if not for his race? Just the fact that he graduated from Punahou and Harvard? Does that make everyone who graduated from those schools uppity? (JFK graduated from Harvard. I've never heard about him ever being referred to as being uppity.) Is Obama uppity for managing to graduate from an Ivy League school, despite coming from a background where his father was never around and was raised for many years by his grandparents?

I don't buy into the thinking that uppity is simply another word for "overachiever." Even if you take race out of the equation, it is never a word that is used in a complimentary sense. If a wealthy/prominent person called you uppity, it would imply that person thinks you don't belong in his social class. If a poor person called you uppity, that person is implying that you are stuck up and acting above your station in life. Either way it is used, uppity is an insult and it casts a person as being an outsider.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
            Take out the racist ref in uppity, and BO is indeed uppity.
            In what sense is he uppity? I've never thought of him that way. He seems to me to be a nice guy (perhaps too nice to be President), intelligent, thoughtful, decent, and a dedicated family man. He appears to me to be a guy I'd like to sit down and have a beer with and talk about stuff. I can't say the same about McCain.
            Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

When I was growing up "uppity" meant snobbish; someone who looked down his/her nose at others; someone who felt superior to others. It had no racial connotation whatsoever. I see BO as classy; someone who would never lower himself by referring to his wife as the "C" word.

Good grief...even I'm getting tired of referring to the "C" bomb. All of you must be tired of reading about it!

Comment

I use the term in BO's case in the least intense manner posible. But he does have an aire of aloofness, but not to a degree that I have a problem with, and I believe it comes from a sense that is protectionist, not condesending. A black in the position he has put himself, would probably need a certain amount to counter, at least within themselves, a lot of the negative nay bombs that will certainly come their way. Using it kinda like water off a ducks back. I give him credit for the classy manner in which he carries himself thru all this silliness.
                https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Why do I have to work tomorrow? I know the debate will rerun (perhaps ad nauseum) but still...

Comment

Tuesday's debate is going to be a town meeting format, moderated by NBC's Tom Brokaw.

One topic that will be talked about for sure: health care. McCain's senior policy advisor (the same clown who earlier said McCain invented the Blackberry) admits that his boss plans to pay for his proposed health care plan by cutting Medicare and Medicaid funding by $1.3 trillion.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1223...gn2008_mostpop

I thought that McCain's Herbert Hooveresque "The fundamentals of the economy are strong" was the most boneheaded gaffe of this presidential campaign, but announcing such drastic cuts to Medicare/Medicaid comes awfully close to topping it. I swear. McCain shooting himself in the foot like this does infinitely more damage than does two weeks worth of negative ads from Obama's campaign.
                    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I would be interested in hearing how he is going to cut more about Medicare and Medicaid. As of October 1, 2008, pursuant to the Deficit Reduction Act of 2005, Medicare will no longer cover "reasonably preventable events" ~ conditions acquired while in a hospital that Medicare deems should not happen such as bedsores, urinary tract infections, wrong blood transfusions, staph infections. In a parallel, Medicaid does not cover "never events" ~ things that Medicaid deems should never happen in a hospital. The administration says that the elimination of payments to the hospitals for these illnesses or conditions will encourage the hospitals to be more careful and to avoid these illness or conditions occurring. Also per the DRA, there is supposed to be a tightening of the requirements to qualify for Medicaid. All jurisidictions had one complete legislative cycle to meet the federal requirements of the DRA and we missed our deadline. However, it *is* coming because federal law trumps state law. Right now, if someone who wants to apply for Medicaid long term care owns one home and reasonably expects to return home (assuming the person meets the other qualifications for Medicaid), the home is an exempt asset for purposes of qualifying for Medicaid. Once the DRA kicks in, if the home, even if it's just one home, is worth more than $500,000 or $750,000 (the state gets to pick which level and we haven't officially picked yet), the home will no longer be exempt. Given the property values in Hawaii, it's entirely possible not to be rich but to still have a home worth more than $500,000 or $750,000.

eta: I guess my point is that the DRA has already made cuts into Medicaid and Medicare much beyond what I am describing here. I'm not saying that government programs should never tighten up but I am honestly wondering how McCain plans to do that with these two programs.
                      Last edited by Adri; October 6, 2008, 11:31 PM.

Comment

I will be tuning in tonight. I have made up a McCain Bingo card with, Vietnam, POW, maverick, Rev. Wright, campaign on hold, Ayers, he's not one of us, fundamentals of economy are strong, gotcha journalism, lipstick on a pig, 26 years in the Senate, mud slinging, raise taxes, and an automatic card blackout for the "C" word!

Actually, I want to see if McCain starts winking at the camera. Seriously, those of you who are supporting Palin/McCain, how would you feel if McCain (or Obama for that matter) started winking seductively at the camera? Would you say that person was a serious contender for President or Vice President?

This should be good, worth another bottle of wine I guess that the conservative pundits will say tomorrow morning, if McCain didn't implode in the debate, then he "won."
                        Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Presidential Debate Games!!!

I know of two....First we have Presidential Debate Bingo. That's the one I'll be playing. And here's another version of bingo.

Here's the NPR's recommendations for Debate watching fun.

Also, the ever classic drinking games...Here's one! My favorite part of that one says - "Every time John McCain says "my friends", spit out your drink and shout "I am not your friend" at the television."

Here's Comedy Central's version of the PDDG.

Those drinking games are way beyond my liquor cabinet means, by the way, so I'll be drinking beer like all the other Joe Six Packs of America. And playing bingo.

Maverick.
                          ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                            This should be good, worth another bottle of wine I guess that the conservative pundits will say tomorrow morning, if McCain didn't implode in the debate, then he "won."
                            I hope to see John McCain red-faced, spluttering, raging and ranting, cursing and complaining, looking like an infant whose bottle was taken away before the end of the debate. That's a win in my book.
                            ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

I expect him to pull a 'Renfield' with his creepy snicker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9lyp...eature=related

Comment

Thanks for the game links, TG! Dang, I have a dr. appt. after the debate. Guess I'll be sticking to bingo!

Comment

Working...
                                X