Young adults: DRAFT!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Young adults: DRAFT!!!

If the draft does return in some form at a time in the future, then I am scared. I was part of HPD's Law Enformcement Explorers Program a few months ago, and the PT they had was beyond what I expected (heck, most of the Explorers couldn't finish it also). But that'll pale in comparison to the military's PT (which I also tasted while under another advisor for the same program a few years ago, and that wasn't pretty either, but I liked his style).

Yes, I'm scared of the draft. I rather die in a house fire, be murdered in a dark alley, or be shocked to death by my computer while upgrading it, than go to the military, whether or not if its going to iraq or some other hostile country.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Re: Young adults: DRAFT!!!

Don't panic, Adrian. If Kerry gets elected, there will probably be some kind of alternative service that you could do for which you would get paid. Kinda like the VISTA program today. Not everyone who goes into national service would have to go fight in a war. There are lots of other ways you could help. If you like kids, maybe you could go help at a HeadStart program. If you like being outdoors, maybe you could go work for the Forestry Service. There's more than one way to serve your country. Since you like computers, maybe there will be "internships" working in data communications in the private sector. That way you could get on-the-job training for a career.

Now if Bush, on the other hand, gets re-elected and continues to follow his "stay the course" agenda, we will probably be engaged in a conflict in the Middle East well after the January elections, because even the temporary Prime Minister of Iraq Allawi is saying that maybe the election will only be available to about 90% of the Iraqi people because of the political instability in the country, which means that a group of people (probably the Turks or one of the minority religious groups in Iraq) will be excluded, which will create further civil unrest and require our extended engagement there.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
      X