Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

demilitarUSination of Archipelago Hawai'i ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving Stryker Unit ? , JF Lehman's Superfairy

"Army Considers Moving Stryker Unit Out Of Hawaii

WAHIAWA, Hawaii - The Army is looking into the possibility of moving thousands of Hawaii soldiers to mainland bases, KITV has learned. The study of new homes for the Stryker Brigade was ordered by the courts because of an environmental lawsuit.
    .... "

"Hawaii soldiers" ? What's the point of such spin? They are not Hawaii soldiers. Are soldiers at Ft. Hood, Texas called Texas soldiers? Of course not!
    " ' For the first time you have the Army coming forward and saying there are locations outside Hawaii where we can accomplish our goals that don't involve destroying Hawaii's culture and environment, ' Earthjustice attorney David Henkin said . "

Even were the Stryker Brigade the fastest, most efficient militarist unit on the planet it hardly makes sense to station them on the opposite side of the planet from the regions where they are most likely to be deployed, but then apparently (on reading the following excerpt) it is clear that militarist expansion in Hawaii is not dependent on future plans of the Stryker Brigade.
    " Wahiawa businesses can take comfort from something new the Army said on Friday, that if the Stryker brigade is sent to another state, another traditional infantry brigade could be sent to Hawaii to take its place. "

If neither the Stryker Brigade nor another military unit has significant interests in the coming operation of the superferry, where does that leave Former Secretary of the Navy John Lehman and his gang of 'investors/directors' except trying to secure more financial and operational concessions from the State of Hawaii.
    Last edited by waioli kai; January 6, 2007, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Re: Moving Stryker Unit ? , JF Lehman's Superfairy

Originally posted by waioli kai View Post
      If neither the Stryker Brigade nor another military unit has significant interests in the coming operation of the superferry, where does that leave Former Secretary of the Navy John Lehman and his gang of 'investors/directors' except trying to secure more financial and operational concessions from the State of Hawaii.
      I agree with you that if the DoD doesn't require the services of Superferry to the extent that the investors thought they could count on having the military use the boats to ferry troops between Honolulu and the Big Island, that they would be hard pressed to launch the service to begin with. And if they did follow through and start service this July as planned, the fares would have to be substantially higher than originally published because much of the subsidy that SF was counting on would dry up. But I'm not certain that SF will begin its Maui run in July anyway, because the County is doing an EIS for Kahului Harbor to prepare for its 2030 Master Plan (I don't know whether they actually have started on this yet, but I assume the EIS itself would have to take at least a few months to complete). Plus, as long as there is an airfare war, it's way cheaper and more convenient to fly interisland.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

re: Robert Gates, post Wilhelm Casey, US Director Central Inteligence Agency

re: Robert Gates, post Wm.Casey, US Director Central Inteligence Agency

The challenges facing him, of course, involve far more than simply damage control (as if he were back at Texas A & M dealing, as he did, with the unfortunate aftermath of a traditional bonfire that got out of hand and killed some of the faithful). After Rumsfeld, but also after nearly half-a-century of high-tech decadence, America's cannibalized military may well be at its lowest point ever; while, in Gabriel Kolko's simple, if memorable, observation, the United States now faces the "most dangerous period in mankind's entire history."

It is not a predicament that can be escaped simply by staving off some further bonfire -- like a mad attack on Iranian nuclear facilities; nor will Gates, even if successful, be capable of taking more than the initial steps in a rescue in the 18 months that are likely (though hardly destined) to be the extent of his Pentagon rule. But in none of it -- neither the apparently encouraging contrast to Rumsfeld, nor the simple avoidance of disaster in Iran -- does his record, his life story, give us grounds for more than the frailest of hopes. Yet, it is a mark of our time, an era he helped make, that, for the moment, Bob Gates, of all people, may be the last and best hope we have. http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/174814/roger_morris_the_cia_and_the_gates_legacy

And such have We descended.
        Last edited by waioli kai; June 25, 2007, 08:13 PM.

Comment

EIS , increasing militarization of Archipelago Hawai'i

Today, September 17, 2007, is the last chance to submit comments on the draft and overseas environmental impact statements related to the U.S. Navy’s plan to increase training operations on land, sea and in the air and to increase research, development, test and evaluation of operations at the Hawai‘i Range Complex and Pacific Missile Range Facility.
          Comments may be faxed to 808-335-4520, e-mailed to deis_hrc@govsupport.us or submitted in writing to Public Affairs Officer, Pacific Missile Range Facility, P.O. Box 128, Kekaha, Kaua‘i, Hawai‘i, 96752-0128, ATTN: HRC EIS/OEIS.

Comment

EIS re: increasing militarization of Archipelago Hawai'i

quote===Today, September 17, 2007, is the last chance to submit comments on the draft and overseas environmental impact statements related to the U.S. Navy’s plan to increase training operations on land, sea and in the air and to increase research, development, test and evaluation of operations at the Hawai‘i Range Complex and Pacific Missile Range Facility.
            Comments may be faxed to 808-335-4520, e-mailed to deis_hrc@govsupport.us or submitted in writing to Public Affairs Officer, Pacific Missile Range Facility, P.O. Box 128, Kekaha, Kaua‘i, Hawai‘i, 96752-0128, ATTN: HRC EIS/OEIS. =quote=

On environmental, moral, political, economic, social and militarist basis I am opposed to the U.S. Navy’s plan to increase training operations on land, sea and in the air.

I am opposed to existing and increased research, development, test and evaluation of operations at the Hawaii Range Complex and Pacific Missile Range Facility.

I do not support existing or increased U.S., or anyone else's, militaristic enterprises in the Hawai`i Archipeligo within at least a 500 mile exclusion zone of said islands.
            _ _ Hawai`i inhabitant
            Last edited by waioli kai; September 17, 2007, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X