• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Pray for the citizens of New Orleans

"You're doing great, Brownie. Don't let the door hit you in the ass."

Comment

thanks miulang for that story on kenyon. s%$#, even in death those b*&%$#@& are looking for ways to profit from it. absolutely sickening.
      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Not only is the fix in, but guess who will have oversight over who gets the next round of contracts to rebuild the Gulf States?

"...The 30 Homeland Security Department investigators and auditors are part of what officials call an unprecedented effort to ensure federal funds are properly distributed in a rescue, relief and rebuilding process expected to exceed $100 billion.

The team is being dispatched to monitor government contractors' work in Alabama, Louisiana and Mississippi as critics call the spending deluge a disaster in waiting if not properly controlled....

"...Yet many of the normal safeguards have been temporarily suspended in Katrina's wake to ensure emergency federal aid gets to victims as soon as possible. So far, Congress has approved spending $62 billion in Katrina-related relief efforts. Of $50 billion directed to the Federal Emergency Management Agency, an arm of Homeland Security, just over $9 billion has so far been spent, FEMA spokeswoman Natalie Rule said.

"It is entirely appropriate that the money go out just as quickly as possible to people whom we think need it, and to worthy contractors on a competitive basis," said former Homeland Security inspector general Clark Kent Ervin. "But in the rush to do it, there is real potential for waste and certainly for fraud as well."

Some contracts, including five with emergency housing and construction companies, were awarded hurriedly without undergoing normal competitive bidding processes. Meanwhile, the Bush administration has waived prevailing wage requirements that ensure government-contracted workers in disaster areas are fairly compensated...."

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

This FEMA debacle is getting reeeeallly interesting now. No sooner did "You're doing a good job, Brownie" ex-Director Mike Brown hand in his resignation, than the Prez ups and names his replacement:

"...In another gesture symbolizing the continued confusion of the federal response, the man President Bush immediately named to succeed “Brownie,” proves to have been the same FEMA official who, two-and-a-half years ago, suggested that Americans stock up on duct tape to protect against a biological or chemical terrorist attack....

"...David Paulison, then the government's Fire Administrator, joined with the then-head of Homeland Security Tom Ridge, on February 10th, 2003, to say that duct tape and plastic sheeting should be part of any home's "survival kit" in preparation for a terrorist attack. That set off a run on duct tape at stores, and widespread criticism of the administration. It might have been the first time after 9/11 that a large number of Americans wondered if the government really knew what it was talking about when it came to disaster preparedness...."

What kind of recommendation is he going to make about what to put into your survival kit for hurricanes? Hip waders and Hurricane cocktails?

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I will be heading out to Baton Rouge tomorrow evening to assist with FEMA. The assignment period is anywhere from 30 days to 60 days. At first we will be at a tent city until they can process us in and send us to a hotel/motel nearby. I will probably be out of the net for the most part, however, if I am able to get online, I'll try to post updates on what's happening in the area I'm in. Take care everyone and keep it clean (at least keep it interesting).

P.S. Kahalabrah if you're still monitoring our posts, on our team alone they got three asian males to go, so I guess we're represented in the FEMA aid.
            Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Originally posted by Moto
              I will be heading out to Baton Rouge tomorrow evening to assist with FEMA. The assignment period is anywhere from 30 days to 60 days. At first we will be at a tent city until they can process us in and send us to a hotel/motel nearby. I will probably be out of the net for the most part, however, if I am able to get online, I'll try to post updates on what's happening in the area I'm in. Take care everyone and keep it clean (at least keep it interesting).

P.S. Kahalabrah if you're still monitoring our posts, on our team alone they got three asian males to go, so I guess we're represented in the FEMA aid.
              E Moto! You'll be an hour away from me! How cool! I'm afraid I don't know where you can get local kine grinds in Baton Rouge, but I wish you the best! Drop me a line if I can help with anything. I'm not a South Louisiana expert, but I know people who are!

Mâlama pono...
              ~'Ailina

Comment

I will definately do that, Ailina. Looking at our work schedule, we're supposed to be working 12 hour days 7 days a week. How are things with you up there? Did your area survive the hurricane well? Talk to you later. Thanks.

Comment

This is a second day of down time due to Rita and her associated weather problems (tornado warnings) here in Baton Rouge. Actually, it does not appear that Rita did as much damage as Katrina Did, but it is not over yet. Hopefully we can resume soon.

Ailina, we're working out of a town called Bogalusa, near the Mississippi boarder. We commute about 2.5 hours a day each way from Baton Rouge. We're on a barge right now due to Rita, but I believe they are planning to send us back to Tent City once they reconstruct it.

Hope everything in Hawaii is fine with the Hurricanes that were approaching on Monday when I left there.

Computer time is scarce, so my entries will be few and far between.

Comment

Whoa, Moto:
                    Bogalusa was the site of race riots in the 1960s. Hopefully the people today are more civil to each other.

Stay safe. Looks like Rita is planning to hang around for awhile, just like Ophelia did off the East Coast.

Miulang

Comment

So far the people there have treated us well. They are just grateful that we're up there to help them. Thanks for the information though, it's good to know, I'll be a little more careful and observent now.

Comment

Bogalusa is an old logging/lumber town. There are trees everywhere. Apparently, strong winds came in from the north as there are numerous trees that fell (shallow root system) or snapped in the middle and it all fell south. Wind did a lot of damage to the roof of many establishments and homes. But fallen trees did major and extensive damage to the roofs here in Bogalusa. Still meeting people that are happy that we are here to help. Hope that does not change. Aloha everyone.

Comment

P.S. if anyone has connections in getting us in a hotel or motel in the Covington area or near here, let me know. This drive is killing us. Thanks.

Comment

Let's keep up those benefits concerts and fund drives for katrina victims, folks!
                            There may be a chance they may slip out of their comfort level!

http://www.individual.com/story.php?story=36072145

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                              Let's keep up those benefits concerts and fund drives for katrina victims, folks!
                              There may be a chance they may slip out of their comfort level!

http://www.individual.com/story.php?story=36072145
                              In a related development:

http://starbulletin.com/2005/10/18/e...cratchpad.html

Comment

A sign that NO is returning to some semblance of normalcy: the Cafe du Monde opened its doors this morning at 6 a.m. The smell of fresh beignets and chicory coffee fills the St. Louis Sq. area again.

A sign that NO could become the new LA: reports of many illegal aliens from outside the state being hired to help rebuild NO rather than hiring evacuees who lived in the city, and the private contractors not wanting to talk to anyone about it. IF FEMA would get off its butt and send in the temporary trailers it has promised the NO city government for weeks, more residents could return to find jobs that would help them stay in NO. The city government of NO is broke; it had to lay off 3,000 employees. Sociologists are pointing out that if the undocumented aliens decide to stay in NO, the color of the town will turn from predominantly black to brown. The sound of jazz will be replaced by mariachi and salsa music.

Miulang
                                Last edited by Miulang; October 19, 2005, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X