Pray for the citizens of New Orleans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Pray for the citizens of New Orleans

Laissez les bontemps roulez! Slowly but surely, life returns to normal amidst the despair and devastation that is still New Orleans.

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; February 18, 2006, 07:13 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Well, apparently the jig is up. There are now tapes of a final Katrina briefing prior to the hurricane hitting in which both the Prez and Michael Chertoff were warned AHEAD of time that the levees in New Orleans could be breached and widespread devastation could be expected. And the President didn't ask one single question about any of the issues that were discussed. Knock, knock...is anyone home at the White House? Was the President preoccupied with thoughts of heading to his ranch the next day? This tape more than ever makes it very apparent that when it comes to caring about the average citizen and his safety, this President is asleep at the wheel. No wonder his approval rating is now at the lowest it's ever been. Of course, NOTHING can beat Cheney's approval rating, which when last measured was a dismal 18%

I think both Bush and Cheney should thank their lucky stars that the Presidency isn't a popularity contest.

Miulang
      Last edited by Miulang; March 1, 2006, 03:30 PM.
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Leno's opening joke last night was that Cheney's popularity was down to eighteen...people!

So I thought about it, and I came up with his wife, his daughters, maybe George and Laura, Scooter Libby (maybe), David Addington, and I'm still eleven short of eighteen.
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

and yet, they appear to still do what they wish to with impunity! i'm still amazed that they were re-elected. unbelievable....
          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

A report on Mardi Gras from a New Orleans inhabitant...it appears that even though her clothes are tattered, that great city's heart is still beating strongly.

Miulang

Comment

I feel bad for all those persons affected by this tragedy... I hope the government is still supporting them and find some alternative solution for this incident. it is very hard to wake up one day not seeing all of your hardships..

Comment

Another sign that New Orleans is coming back with a vengeance. Their annual Jazz and Heritage Festival, which will be held the last weekend of April and the first weekend in May, just announced that Bruce Springsteen will be there to celebrate the release of his new album of Pete Seeger music. Other headliners are:

"...Etta James, Herbie Hancock, Dave Bartholomew and Warren Haynes were among the new additions announced Wednesday.

Most of the more than 350 acts consist of Louisiana artists, and Davis has said this year's festival is being billed as a homecoming for many musicians, some of whom were displaced after Katrina.

Among the big-name performers, Dr. John, Bob Dylan and Cowboy Mouth will be performing on opening day, April 28. Galactic, the Dave Matthews Band and Clarence "Frogman" Henry will perform April 29, and joining Springsteen on April 30 are The Meters, Yolanda Adams and Allen Toussaint.

Kicking off the second festival weekend on May 5 are Doug Kershaw, Keith Urban, Little Feat, Marcia Ball and Koko Taylor and Her Blues Machine. Jimmy Buffet, The Radiators, Buckwheat Zydeco and the Dirty Dozen Brass Band perform on May 6, and Fats Domino, Paul Simon, Lionel Richie, Irma Thomas and Pete Fountain close out the festival on May 7...."

Man, what a lineup! Tickets are $40/weekend so it's a real bargain to see all those big name performers. I hope a good number of people are able to attend;the Jazz Fest historically has welcomed more than 500,000 music afficionados annually over the 2 weekends.

Miulang
                Last edited by Miulang; March 8, 2006, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Hindsight is usually 20:20, so I'm glad someone is raising the issue of the FEMA trailers that are being sent to the Gulf Coast for hurricane victims that are being placed in harm's way on a flood plain in Mississippi. This tragedy in the making was discovered using GPS mapping. The strange thing is FEMA is unwilling to cooperate with scientists to map where other trailers are located on the Gulf Coast on the grounds that it is trying to protect inhabitants' identities.

People already impacted by last year's devastation might be getting set up for tragedy again this year. Hurricane season is only months away.

Miulang

P.S. If you're interested in seeing the path of Hurricane Katrina, here is a map with linked photos provided by NOAA.
                  Last edited by Miulang; March 15, 2006, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X