Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pray for the citizens of New Orleans

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
    Errr... because we're mostly rich and they're mostly not? And I would point out that when we have problems, other countries do help. If I recall there were several countries who sent rescue teams for the 9/11 World Trade Center recovery, for example.
    I guess helping the poor and unfortunate in third world countries make Celebrities feel good about speading thier wealth, but to waste thier money and time to help U.S. refugees will not get noticed.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Comment

Or could it be that the U.S. has progams in place, like those of FEMA, to help Americans who are affected by natural disasters?

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
        Or could it be that the U.S. has progams in place, like those of FEMA, to help Americans who are affected by natural disasters?
        Make that, "the U.S. used to have programs in place like those of FEMA". Apparently, the Department of Homeland Security is busily gutting FEMA:

In the days to come, as the nation and the people along the Gulf Coast work to cope with the disastrous aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, we will be reminded anew, how important it is to have a federal agency capable of dealing with natural catastrophes of this sort. This is an immense human tragedy, one that will work hardship on millions of people. It is beyond the capabilities of state and local government to deal with. It requires a national response.

Which makes it all the more difficult to understand why, at this moment, the country's premier agency for dealing with such events -- FEMA -- is being, in effect, systematically downgraded and all but dismantled by the Department of Homeland Security.

Apparently homeland security now consists almost entirely of protection against terrorist acts. How else to explain why the Federal Emergency Management Agency will no longer be responsible for disaster preparedness? Given our country's long record of natural disasters, how much sense does this make?

Comment

Not used to have, if they're being gutted and not dismantled. The programs might suck, but they will still be there.

My point was that there aren't any "safety net"-type programs in third world countries. That's why the rich donate money to them and not people in the U.S.

Comment

I agree, PJ. Got a little distracted by the impending Homeland Security rant building in my head. Sorry.

Comment

No worries... reading that WP story is starting to get my blood boiling too.

Comment

Errr... because we're mostly rich and they're mostly not? And I would point out that when we have problems, other countries do help. If I recall there were several countries who sent rescue teams for the 9/11 World Trade Center recovery, for example.
                Thank you, Glen. This is by far the richest country in the world. Who in Bangladesh thinks we need financial help?

And because people in Washington would rather spend money on tax cuts and bridges in Alaska, FEMA resources, Medicare, Medicaid, food stamps, and educational help are all being cut back.
                Last edited by Linkmeister; August 30, 2005, 12:56 PM.
                http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

unbelievable... heartrending...
                  reading the Times-Picayune blog, basically what newspaper can do anything in those conditions but post as a blog, updated every few minutes...

incredible devastation.

Comment

It just gets worse and worse. I spoke way too soon.

How in the world are they going to plug up 200 feet of busted concrete floodwall?

Comment

Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez is offering food and oil to the USA to help with hurricane relief.

There you go, alohabear; them foreigners do care. Even if they've been targeted for assassination by U.S. preachers.

Comment

The devastation is horrendous. Looting and survival of the fittist is being taped as it is being seen live. Food are being taken on whole racks and not wanting to be shared by others. The count of victims lost and being found is growing by the minute. The Superdome has no electricity, no ice, no toilets that are useable, 30,000+ are in there and more are on there way.

This is America! These are fellow Americans who need our help. It makes me wonder with the fact that the authorities knew many years in advance what could happen if they were hit with a hurricane as Katrina in NO...why did they not evacuate and get their citizens okoles out of there!

Also, In Hawai'i are there plans in place in case such a devastating event occurs? Hmmm...perhaps, a hurricane, tornado, tidal wave or God forbid a Terrorist Attack -- to protect us regular citizens? I hope and pray so.

In New Orleans, at least they had the chance to move inland. In Hawai'i...we will not have that. Who will disguinish who gets to go and who stays?

Watching the news tonight was like watching something out of a horror End of The World Movie Drama. Only thing it wasn't. It's happening as I type this entry...it's happening in New Orleans!

Auntie Lynn
                        Last edited by 1stwahine; August 30, 2005, 07:52 PM.
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Irony department:

Emergency Medical Services conference wrapped up on Saturday in NOLA.

Honolulu attendees couldn't get flight out, offer services. Link

My farm - Kona Mist Coffee

Comment

Originally posted by DaveNSoKona
                            Irony department:

Emergency Medical Services conference wrapped up on Saturday in NOLA.

Honolulu attendees couldn't get flight out, offer services. Link
                            I am a very proud and hard Tita. I don't easily CRY. DaveNSoKona, mahalo for sharing this article with us. I cry because our own are there amongst the craziness that is going on in New Orleans. I pray from deep within that the God I believe there is, will get them out of there and stop this madness soon. My heart aches and my tears fall. I have never been touched like this since the war started in Iraq and my kids were deployed.

Auntie Lynn
                            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

It just gets worse and worse. I spoke way too soon.

How in the world are they going to plug up 200 feet of busted concrete floodwall?
                              If they'd gotten the funding they should have over the past three years, it wouldn't have broken.

http://www.pnionline.com/dnblog/atty...es/002331.html

This is criminal negligence on the part of the Bush budgeters.
                              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

If you feel moved to do something to help the people of the Gulf Coast, please consider either contributing some money (every little bit helps) to the American Red Cross or to the Baton Rouge Area Foundation, which has 2 funds: 1 for the immediate needs of all the people from NO who evacuated to Baton Rouge and a second one for the long-term rebuilding efforts, which is where the help will really be needed, because once the Red Cross and the feds move out of the area, there will still be months or even years of assistance that will be required for the people who lost everything in the hurricane.

"The Hurricane Katrina Displaced Residents Fund will benefit those individuals evacuated to Baton Rouge from the hurricane impacted areas in Greater New Orleans, who are now unable to return for what may be an extended period. Early official estimates suggest that as many as 500,000 individuals may be required to remain in our area for up to six months, and they will face numerous challenges related to housing, food, education, healthcare and basic survival necessities. This fund will support those entities and programs in our area that endeavor to meet these critical needs, as well as address the impact this influx of residents will have on our community.

The Hurricane Katrina New Orleans Recovery Fund will focus on the rebuilding of infrastructure to provide basic human services to residents of these devastated areas. The Baton Rouge Area Foundation will coordinate closely with federal, state and local officials in an attempt to provide resources to programs and efforts that positively and immediately impact the quality of life of these individuals, and contribute to the overall rebuilding of critical service delivery mechanisms in the New Orleans area."

Miulang
                                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X