Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another School Shooting

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
    I personally suspect media tempests like we're seeing right now are similar to the whole "shark attacks!" mess a few years back. The numbers are down or stable, but one or two high-profile incidents on a slow news day suddenly make for an epidemic.
    I think it is also possible that an unstable person sees this type of event happen elsewhere and it gives them that little 'push' over the edge to violence. It may look to them like, "Hey, that person did something about their problem and I can to." It's sick, but then again, anyone who would do this is sick to begin with. I have no data/research to back this up but it certainly does seem like these events cluster.

Comment

2 Las Vegas schools were also on lockdown earlier today because a nonstudent young adult was seen cruising the halls with a gun. There were no reports of the student threatening anyone with that gun, but authorities were nonetheless still searching for him (the gun was found nearby).

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

There was another school shooting at a Amish school too. What is this world coming to?
        Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Originally posted by achow View Post
          There was another school shooting at a Amish school too. What is this world coming to?
          It is the same incident.

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
          and this latest Pennsylvania incident -- were both the acts of adults. ... and Charles Roberts, 32, a truck driver.

Comment

The Amish Community

My heart goes out to you that may be part of the Amish community... for the recent school shooting at the school yesterday.

I'm not too familiar with religion... however, what I'm reading and watching on TV... they describe your choice of lifestyle as a "Pioneer" lifestyle. (ABC NEWS at 6) I just heard on TV that you folks don't watch TV, Listen to the Radio, or have a desire to deal with present day technology.

Is there anyone Amish here that would like to enlighten me more on this? Or for that matter...anyone that knows religion well enough to enlighten me on their chosen lifestyle?

Thanks In Advance (TIA) for new users that wonder what some acronyms might mean!

Comment

This might provide some insight into the Amish community .

Just a note: most Amish families DO NOT have insurance, so I can imagine what the medical bills will be like. I know "outsiders" have offered to help, but no one's sure at this point if the affected families withh accept outside assistance.

I'm going out on a limb and say that the perp was more than "troubled". He was a coward. No matter what his problems were, he chose to invade a community that is non-violent by definition. Then he chose a school - so that the people involved would be mostly under 14. Then he let the boys go free. Then he used a form of handcuffs on these little girls - very non-street smart little girls. Then when he heard the state police, he shot those little girls execution style, then shot himself. That is NOT the work of a sophisticated killer, it's the work of a coward.

Of the little girls who are dead, there were two sets of sisters. Another little girl was shot in the upper back, instead of head - we can only pray that she won't be paralyzed.

And this coward left a family who will have to live with this the rest of their lives.
              Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
              We're not here to mess around
              Boston, you know we love you madly
              Hear the crowd roar to your sound
              Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
              You know we couldn't live without you
              Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Thanks lei

Gee... from what the wikipedia article explains... I'm amazed one of the teachers was able to find a phone as fast as he/she did.

Comment

The Amish friends I have do not use hospitals or any governement services. They have in-house medical care and generally not hospitals.
                  I have been in a couple communities (visiting) but they were small and used only their own resources.
                  Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                  Sharing withother survivors...
                  www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Re: The Amish Community

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
                    Is there anyone Amish here that would like to enlighten me more on this? Or for that matter...anyone that knows religion well enough to enlighten me on their chosen lifestyle?
                    Manoa ... Amish folks don't use computers!

You are so funny sometimes!

"We don't use buttons, zippers, cars or electricity ... but Brother Jacob, I got me a MySpace!"

Haaaaa!

Comment

Re: The Amish Community

Originally posted by MadAzza View Post
                      Manoa ... Amish folks don't use computers!

You are so funny sometimes!

"We don't use buttons, zippers, cars or electricity ... but Brother Jacob, I got me a MySpace!"

Haaaaa!
                      Ah gee... freaking Maddie... you ruin it for me... I thought there might be some amish people amongst HT!

Ok... peoples opinion in general... I mean... it sounds so... I dunno... weird...

I mean... Everyone practices something... but this amish thing is something that I'm not familiar with.

And as I should have realized...duh...I don't think anyone here on HT is amish...however, I did ask for others that knew about religion to inform me more about the practice....

To tell you the truth... a break from society sounds good...!

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                        A 50 yr old, a ninth grader, a drifter, a trucker, ..............

Yup, that settles it. Guns kill people.

Criminals love gun control laws.
                        If you're going to shoot people, a school is the place to do it. They're "gun-free zones," dontcha know, even the non-Amish ones. Heck, kids can't even take penknives to school anymore! So the predators know they can go to any such school and do whatever violence they want, and no one will be able to retaliate.

And you're absolutely right, Lei Liko, the guy was a total, bottom-feeding, worthless, piece-of-excrement coward.

Comment

About a month or two ago I also was ignorant about the Amish. Den Kimo55 told me to view a Music Video. I laughed and enjoyed the Video. Although it is inappropriate at this time...it did give me a chance to google up more information about the Amish and their way of life.

Amazing people who just want to live a Simple Life in their beliefs. They don't ask for Government handouts yet pay everything what is expected of them.

What happen to them and their precious children is totally insane.

Auntie Lynn
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza View Post
                            If you're going to shoot people, a school is the place to do it. They're "gun-free zones," dontcha know, even the non-Amish ones. Heck, kids can't even take penknives to school anymore! So the predators know they can go to any such school and do whatever violence they want, and no one will be able to retaliate.

And you're absolutely right, Lei Liko, the guy was a total, bottom-feeding, worthless, piece-of-excrement coward.
                            Maddie... it depends on what schools you want to shoot things up at...

Many inner urban schools now have metal detectors...(guarded by unarmed school hired security guards that are going to do what against a kid with a gun pointing it in there face?)

However, I still love the way you put things at times.!

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                              Amazing people who just want to live a Simple Life in their beliefs. They don't ask for Government handouts yet pay everything what is expected of them.

What happen to them and their precious children is totally insane.

Auntie Lynn
                              It is amazing the way they adhere to the rules of government taxing and what not. I have always respected that because they follow the "give unto Ceaser" rule to a T.
                              I am sure there are the odd ones but everyone I have met has been extremely honest and kind.
                              Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                              Sharing withother survivors...
                              www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

For a Information on The Amish: http://pittsburgh.about.com/cs/pennsylvania/a/amish.htm

History of the Amish in America
                                "The Amish people in America are an old religious sect, direct descendants of the Anabaptists of sixteenth-century Europe. Not to be confused with the term anti-Baptist, these Anabaptist Christians challenged the reforms of Martin Luther and others during the Protestant Reformation, rejecting infant baptism in favor of baptism (or re-baptism) as believing adults. They also taught separation of church and state, something unheard of in the 16th century. Later known as the Mennonites, after the Dutch Anabaptist leader Menno Simons (1496-1561), a large group of Anabaptists fled to Switzerland and other remote areas of Europe to escape religious persecution."

It's an interesting read and there's a section of the Amish Culture & Lifestyle.

Auntie Lynn
                                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                                X