Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Bush Watch - Chapter 3

Originally posted by Karen View Post
    Here we are with millions of citizens demanding a true border fence, and we don't have it, ON Bush's watch.
    Well, that's fine. (With proper shared blame on prior administrations).

However, you weaken your cause when you try to dump things that he's not responsible for. This particular law was passed by congress, sluffed by Clinton and then forced by the courts. Sorry, this particular issue doesn't land in his blame box.

Not unless you're arguing he should have gone back to congress to overturn it. If you want to blame him for not trying to overturn it, fine.

Comment

Even as haggling continues over the cross-border trucking program, some Mexican trucking company officials say it's the politicians — not they — who are interested in opening the border.

"We don't want to go to the United States, and the Americans don't want to go to Mexico," said Rolando Ortega, a delegate from the Matamoros, Mexico, chapter of the National Confederation of Mexican Carriers, which has 280,000 members. "It doesn't reflect the reality of the transportation industry."
      Original story here
      "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Gecko, I blame all incoming administrations for not having the balls, spirit and brains to go back and clean up whatever they see that a previous admin. should not have done. THIS is just another reason I can't help but feel that the leaders of both sides of the aisle are members in the same elusive, elite "club." Both are serving our country's destruction, just with different vehicles and "flavors" of the journey.
        Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

One of the latest American-Mexican dustups is over a little (but growing) Mexican pizza ( ) chain called Pizza Patron. It first started out in the border areas in Texas but is now branching out to other regions where the concentrations of Spanish-speaking people are highest. Besides having bilingual counter staff, the chain also accepts Mexican pesos as well as American dollars.

I don't understand why the anti-immigration people are so against this very smart Hispanic businessman for realizing what his market niche could be and then capitalizing on it.

I mean, if Canadian and Mexican businesses can accept the American dollar, why can't American businesses (even those not on the borders) accept pesos and loonies if they want to? Since those of Hispanic ethnicity are the fastest growing of all groups (legal and otherwise) in this country, it makes perfect sense that more businesses should be willing to accept pesos (at the prevailing exchange rates). Otherwise, that money will go straight back to Mexico, because many immigrant families send money home to their families.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Sounds like another example of pundits spinning a non-story in an attempt to buttress their hate-mongering agenda and distract from the real issues facing our country.

Neiman Marcus Ala Moana accepts payment in yen, FWIW.
            "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

to starve a mon$ter , Re: The bUSh Watch

to starve a mon$ter , Re: The bUSh Watch

Originally posted by MixedPlateBroker View Post
              Neiman Marcus Ala Moana accepts payment in yen, FWIW.
              Why not other currencies begin replacing $US currency? What does it require that the world finally realize that the U.S. Treasury, with its $US100+trillion dollars worth of debt and unfunded liabilities, is in a death spiral, irremovably attached to corporatist America's debts, unfunded liabilities and shamelessly inflated to obvioUSlie illusory, non-existent assets? The number of $US promissory bytes of today so far exceed their redeemableness the situation has an astronomical character to it: it is so huge few minds can even begin to grasp it, and fewer still can appreciate its mortal significance.

Last report worth remembering, a couple hundred billion$US in U.S. paper currency was estimated to be circulating in the United States while more than eight hundred billion$US (non-counterfeit) of such promisesorry notes was estimated to circulating outside the United States. ObvioUSlie, the 'sorry' part of the promise is yet realized. Perhaps such realization will follow U.S. citizens/taxpayers this generation, if not a following one, wherein the popular balance of reason says, then promotes: why not just let/when not otherwise help the most morally and fiscally bankrupt nation in the history of mankind peacefully dissolve, allowing for next to zero militarized, near infinitely more reasoned, steps into mankind's evolutionary identity. But U.S. citizens as a whole are well known to the rest of the world to not exactly be the most akamai citizenry, and then, as if to prove the point, the U.S. citizenry has compliantly paid for near eight year's worth of what can only be the least astute U.S. Presidency in a century or more.
              Last edited by waioli kai; September 2, 2007, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                Otherwise, that money will go straight back to Mexico, because many immigrant families send money home to their families.
                The logic is faulty. They could just as easily exchange the pesos for dollars and spend it here.

I don't have an issue with this pizza place. I do have a issue with the larger problem of immigrants not assimilating into society.

Comment

If anybody still doesn't 'get it' you should revisit the Bush-Rumsfeld connection to the Illuminati in light of this week's revelation that Henry Kissinger directly ordered Allende's overthrow in Chile.

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Intell...ger_role_in_06
                  26.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Licio_Gelli

Comment

The latest news today on the illegal immigration front is that the rate of growth of "illegal" workers from India far outpaced the rate of growth of illegals from Mexico. The only difference is most of the illegals from India are highly educated, highly sought after workers who overstayed their visas and our government won't extend their stays but also doesn't send them back to India when their visas expire because the government has no way of tracking those people.

More than half of Indian immigrants who came to the U.S. in fiscal year 2005 — about 102,000 — arrived on the H-1B visa for the highly skilled. So, typically, they aren't going to be busted by immigration agents during raids at meat-processing plants such as those owned by Swift & Co., the site of high-profile investigations last year.
                    Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

rate of growth
                      Uh, nice statistic - but:

Illegal immigrants from India grew to 270,000 in 2006 from 120,000 in 2000 ... Undocumented Indians, however, remain a small segment of the total estimated population of 11.6 million illegal immigrants in the U.S. Mexico tops the list with 6.6 million — up from 4.7 million in 2000 — followed by El Salvador and Guatemala, according to the Homeland Security report.

The only difference is most of the illegals from India are highly educated, highly sought after workers who overstayed their visas.
                      Which means that they've passed clearance before. They're not likely to be hardened criminals like MS-13.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post

Which means that they've passed clearance before. They're not likely to be hardened criminals like MS-13.
                        But it just goes to show how uneven our immigration policies are. If these people already had visas approved before, and if they are trying to renew their visas legally, why not just extend their stays legally instead of letting them slip through the cracks? It would be harder to extricate them if they stayed here illegally and had American kids.

And the majority of illegal Mexicans are not hardened criminals, either. All they want are jobs to support their families.

Miulang

Comment

Whoa, wait a minute Miulang. It says, and I don't even know the source of "it" yet...shall I trust it, or not? Then....it says more than half of the immigrants from India came here on Visas...some type I haven't googled and learned about yet but doesn't matter to my point.

OH! how I wish a ton of Mexicans came here on Visas.

I must say I haven't researched the reported "illegal" immigrants from India, but this is fascinating if we honestly DO have a ton of illegals from India since common sense dictates that to illegally enter from Mexico is way too easy. From India, how do they illegally enter? and so many, supposedly? Please give me your elementary explanation of it, and again, I admit I'm on the phone and doing a bit of business here, so do know I will come back and read more slowly after while, or when I can.

PS....something is VERY WRONG in our country when we start having any presidential debates IN SPANISH!!! We need a true, heavy border all around our country, even a five year old can see that, and the fact that we still don't have it to the south makes BUSH and every prez before him suspect for this, but mostly the more recent presidents cuz this issue finally has gotten raised in our collective consciousness, as it should be.
                          Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

Whoa, wait a minute Miulang. It says, and I don't even know the source of "it" yet...shall I trust it, or not? Then....it says more than half of the immigrants from India came here on Visas...some type I haven't googled and learned about yet but doesn't matter to my point.

OH! how I wish a ton of Mexicans came here on Visas.

I must say I haven't researched the reported "illegal" immigrants from India, but this is fascinating if we honestly DO have a ton of illegals from India since common sense dictates that to illegally enter from Mexico is way too easy. From India, how do they illegally enter? and so many, supposedly? Please give me your elementary explanation of it, and again, I admit I'm on the phone and doing a bit of business here, so do know I will come back and read more slowly after while, or when I can.

PS....something is VERY WRONG in our country when we start having any presidential debates IN SPANISH!!! We need a true, heavy border all around our country, even a five year old can see that, and the fact that we still don't have it to the south makes BUSH and every prez before him suspect for this, but mostly the more recent presidents cuz this issue finally has gotten raised in our collective consciousness, as it should be.
                            Most of the "illegal" Indians become illegal when they overstay their visas. They enter the US legally as students or on H1B visas. H1B visas are the ones that highly educated technology workers and other professional people (like doctors and nurses) can come to work in this country for 6 years at a time. The problem is that the US government is lax about enforcing that 6-year stay rule. And when permitted immigrants try to re-validate their visas, they aren't being allowed to. But they also aren't forced to leave the country, either, so they kind of blend into the scenery. They usually aren't busted because they are professional people or small business owners and don't work in sweat shops, and the feds are all about making big busts, not onesy-twoseys that would never make the news.

Some of the people who overstay their visas will try to get into "marriages of convenience" by marrying an American citizen. I know of at least 2 people who have done this, one very recently. You're supposed to prove that you share the same domicile and are legally married, but in the most recent case I personally know of, the "wife" lives in California and the "husband" lives in Seattle. If they get caught, he could get thrown in jail and/or fined and she for sure will get deported.

One other way illegal immigrants have tried to plead their cases is to have children born in this country. The tactic is, you can't separate a mother from her American-born chiildren, and her American children can't be deported...

If you're concerned about the "browning of America", you can blame the politicians and corporations who advocate free trade agreements (like NAFTA and CAFTA) and open markets for the blurring of the borders.

Miulang

Comment

...something is VERY WRONG in our country when we start having any presidential debates IN SPANISH!!!
                              Yeah! And all governmental business in the Islands ought to be conducted in `olelo Hawai`i! Darned immigrants...

Comment

If you're concerned about the "browning of America",
                                I'm not worried about immigrants. I am worried about criminals and other undesirables slipping in with them. The lack of assimilation is a big issue. Ultimately that will come back to bite us and divide the country.

In Hawaii, people have immigrated from many countries. They remain proud of their heritage. And yet they have assimilated into one society.

Comment

Working...
                                X