Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: wretchedly sorry political state , Re: Sinator Larry Craig

Originally posted by waioli kai View Post
    What does it say about this corporatist democracy that such people so easily make careers out of elected high office in the United States?
    I'm afraid it's the other way around. To get elected requires promising something to everyone. As a result, it requires someone who is or at least has tendencies to be an hypocrite to get elected. That's how we end up having to choose between the lessor of who evils instead of the better of two greats.

It shows very clearly just how wretchedly sorry is the political state of the nation.
    Yup.

Comment

It shows very clearly just how wretchedly sorry is the political state of the nation.
      Double yup!

What I don't get is this whole going into a public bathroom and picking up some stranger. Ewwww (shudder). Maybe I'm a prude but, man, that gives me the creeps. Then there is the whole hypocrasy thing. I mean, my biggest hypocrsy is being into the whole natural health thing and being a smoker. But, I am up front about it. I can't for the life of me, imagine devoting my life to a cause and secretly doing the opposite. For me it would be like standing up for physics & science and secretly being a born again christian who believes the earth was formed as is 10,000 yrs ago. It just doesn't compute in my head.

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
        For me it would be like standing up for physics & science and secretly being a born again christian who believes the earth was formed as is 10,000 yrs ago. It just doesn't compute in my head.
        Sure it does - the question is - formed out of what?

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
          Double yup!

What I don't get is this whole going into a public bathroom and picking up some stranger. Ewwww (shudder). Maybe I'm a prude but, man, that gives me the creeps. Then there is the whole hypocrasy thing. I mean, my biggest hypocrsy is being into the whole natural health thing and being a smoker. But, I am up front about it. I can't for the life of me, imagine devoting my life to a cause and secretly doing the opposite. For me it would be like standing up for physics & science and secretly being a born again christian who believes the earth was formed as is 10,000 yrs ago. It just doesn't compute in my head.
          I think the difference is, you and I are mere citizens. Elected officials are and should be held to higher standards. If more people running for public office realized how much under the microscope their lives would come under, do you think many of them would run for office?

The politicians who ultimately are uncovered as hypocrites are the ones who will do/say anything to get elected. I don't want my elected officials to be "yes" men/women. I expect them to represent me honestly and ethically and to consider the opinions of the people who elected them into office and not always act out of political expediency.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Re: Senator Larry Craig

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
            So, den....how can you guys make sure that you have 'safe shishi's'?
            just don't gesture in the manner sen. craig allegedly did. if this is accurate, then the signals indicating you're there for more than a crapper are way out of the norm of what anyone NOT looking for a little bathroom love would do.

here's a rather entertaining reenactment from countdown with keith olbermann.

another funny one from a cbs affilliate.

slate.com's explainer does a factual, if amusing, breakdown of certain questions already asked here.

allegedly.

superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Exactly. Pretty similar to what happened to George Michael. Arrested for lewd conduct in a public restroom. Wasn't anything serious enough to warrant jail time and the whole incident wasn't newsworthy at all, EXCEPT that it involved George Michael.

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
              I don't think money entered into it at all. I mean, I don't think these particular anonymous encouters end with an exchange of cash for the most part. He was arrested for "lewd conduct," and pled guilty to the lesser charge of "disorderly conduct," presumably the same charge a heterosexual couple would get for getting it on in a public restroom.

Which is to say, there wasn't anything particularly illegal about what he was doing as far as paperwork is concerned. And for me, the problem wasn't really the specific act, either.

I guess there's some degree of homophobia or double-standard at work in fanning this controversy, but what really upsets me and a lot of people, I think, isn't that he was looking for sex in a bathroom. It's that he did what he did being who he is (a longtime "family values" politician who has backed anti-gay policies), and mostly, how he handled himself after getting caught.
              This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Sorry the man needs to bow OUT definately....

Ok he plead GUILTY to what he did and CLAIMS he's not gay

SAYS he will finish out his term and bow out due to this incident with the run in of the security cop at the airport has taken a toll on his job and making his party look bad and yiddi yiddi yadda

And now recently is re-considering his decision in keeping his job?

TIT FOR FOR TAT ANYONE?

Comment

Re: bathroom encounters

Taking things local, remember ex-Bishop Estate trustee Gerard Jervis and his tryst with his B. E. attorney girl friend at the Hawaii Prince Hotel? Were they too cheap to get a room to conduct their "private business?"

The tragedy was the girl friend committing suicide by carbon monoxide poisoning in her closed garage at home.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyWilliams View Post
                    Sorry the man needs to bow OUT definately....

Ok he plead GUILTY to what he did and CLAIMS he's not gay

SAYS he will finish out his term and bow out due to this incident with the run in of the security cop at the airport has taken a toll on his job and making his party look bad and yiddi yiddi yadda

And now recently is re-considering his decision in keeping his job?

TIT FOR FOR TAT ANYONE?
                    "I'm guilty."

"No, I'm not guilty."

"Okay, I'll resign."

"No, I'll fight the charge (to which I pled guilty, even though I say I'm not), and stay in office."

Politicians in a nutshell. Or a bathroom stall. Whichever.

Comment

First he wasn't resigning, then he was (he even made an announcement about it), then he was going to try to hold on to his seat, now his aides say he won't. Sheesh. Nothing like a wishy washy politician caught with his hand under the bathroom stall. I guess he realized the writing was on the wall when his cronies in Congress on the Senate Ethics Committee denied his request to stop the investigation of his misdemeanor arrest today and his colleagues started working on finding replacements for his committee seats.

Friends say he is more interested in defending his reputation and honor than in continuing to represent the people who put him in office almost 30 years ago. Hmmm...methinks he doth protesteth too much.

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Setting aside on what he did :rollseye:

His constant changing of his mind just makes ppl in his state move into the OTHER direction and vote for the other one come election time.

Comment

Did anyone see THIS shocking eyewitness account?

NSFW!

...and yes, I know it is a joke.
                          flickr

An email from God:
                          To: People of Earth
                          Date: 9/04/2007
                          Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                          God

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                            What is kind of ironic, though, is the seeming double standard the people in his party are using as far as what is "acceptable" illegal behavior v. what is not.Miulang
                            Actually what is far far more ironic and hypocritical is the Democrat behavior. I am glad the Craig pervert got caught and he should resign today. Republicans have been far better at getting rid of their waste. Democrats seem proud or oblivious to it.

These are just a few of the Democrat scandals I recall. The difference is that with these DEMOCRATS, they all CONTINUED to serve or were reelected after being outed. Talk about hypocrisy.

Democrat Rep. William Jefferson was caught on tape accepting 100,000 in bribes. All but $10,000 was recovered when the FBI searched Jefferson’s home in Washington. The money was stuffed in his freezer, wrapped in $10,000 packs and concealed in food containers and aluminum foil.

Democrat Robert Byrd - US Senator from West Virginia was a member of the Ku Klux Klan (KKK), whose parades in Matoaka, West Virginia, he had witnessed in his childhood. He was unanimously elected Exalted Cyclops, or leader, of his local chapter.

Democrat Sandy Berger — National Security Adviser during the Clinton Administration. sentenced for unlawfully stuffing classified documents from the National Archives into his pants and intentionally destroying some of them.

Democrat Bill Clinton - Having sex with a White House INTERN the age of his daughter and then lying about it.

Democrat Barney Frank — U.S. Representative from Massachusetts admitted to having paid Stephen L. Gobie, a male prostitute, for sex and subsequently hiring Gobie as his personal assistant. Gobie used the congressman's Washington apartment for prostitution.

Democrat Ted Kennedy — The senior United States Senator from Massachusetts. In 1969, Ted Kennedy drove his mother's car off of Dike bridge and into a channel after a party at Chappaquiddick Island, Martha's Vineyard. Mary Jo Kopechne, a campaign worker for Senator Kennedy, was killed in the accident. He did not notify authorities for HOURS after the incident.

Democrat Gerry Studds (1937-2006)- Democrat - U.S. Representative from Massachusetts from 1973 to 1997. The first openly gay member of Congress. Censured by the House of Representatives for having sexual relations with a teenage House page.

Democrat Marion Barry — Mayor of Washington, D.C., convicted of cocaine possession after being caught on videotape smoking crack cocaine. Sentenced to six months in prison.

All serve or continued to serve with no outcry from Democrats.

Craig should be gone tomorrow but so should all of these clowns.
                            Last edited by kamuelakea; September 6, 2007, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
                              A cop does not have to have sex with a prostitute in order to bust her for prostitution.
                              This is the very argument used in the Mayflower Madam case in New York, and it worked.

Comment

I hope Craig continues to fight this thing. Ellen Goodman's column, appearing in today's Advertiser, says a lot of what I'm thinking. I hope that link works.
                                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X