Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Student Riots In England

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
    If the draft ever gets reinstated while the US is still involved in Afghanistan, then you better believe that you'll start seeing draft card burnings and other forms of protests mushroom.

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    Not if we get another 9-11 hit. And again, many won't care who we bomb/invade as long as we bomb/invade somebody they don't like in retaliation.
    Bomb/invade first, ask questions/hear denials/learn the sad/infuriating truths later.
    I totally disagree. Someone would have had to be living under a stone to have missed the revelation about Bush/Cheney lies about WMDs in Iraq. Americans are significantly more skeptical now than they were seven years ago when it comes to how our govt. is conducting the War on Terror. I know many people (civilians) who say they would be willing to sacrifice their lives serving in the armed forces if it meant fighting against Bin Laden and every other party responsible for 9-11. But at the same time, they weren't willing to risk themselves in some absured wild goose chase concocted by govt. misinformation.

After the WMD fiasco, to think that Americans are willing to be led like sheep into another war with no questions asked,... that kind of arrogance would make Cheney and Rove blush.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Someone would have had to be living under a stone to have missed the revelation about Bush/Cheney lies about WMDs in Iraq. Americans are significantly more skeptical now than they were seven years ago when it comes to how our govt. is conducting the War on Terror. After the WMD fiasco, to think that Americans are willing to be led like sheep into another war with no questions asked,... that kind of arrogance would make Cheney and Rove blush.
      No way.
      The same percentage that cared about the unAmerican crap B&C pulled is about the same today, significant, but so is the bunch that have always supported the lowest of the low and now that they see them getting away scott free for all they did (that we know of yet...) they'll be even more brasen to expect that and more from their guys in the future, but if Obama were to try anything legit they'd be all partisan in unity against him no matter how neccessary. To most of that ilk, B&C are angelic heros for their 8 years of putrid actions. Arrogant Ugly America on the whole simply refuses to learn from it's past/immediate history and grievous mistakes, more than happy to repeat into infinity towards everybody's doom.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

The same percentage that cared about the unAmerican crap B&C pulled is about the same today, significant, but so is the bunch that have always supported the lowest of the low and now that they see them getting away scott free for all they did (that we know of yet...) they'll be even more brasen to expect that and more from their guys in the future, but if Obama were to try anything legit they'd be all partisan in unity against him no matter how neccessary. To most of that ilk, B&C are angelic heros for their 8 years of putrid actions.
        Ummmm, I was talking specifically talking about how people would react if they were forcibly drafted into a war against an enemy (Iraq) for which no evidence existed of them possessing WMDs or any definitive connection with the 9-11 attacks.

You now seem to be talking about any ole' Dick and Jane who was a diehard Bush/Cheney supporter.

That we don't see eye-to-eye on this matter is not surprising, since you're clearly not grasping what I am talking about.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

The amount and degree of draft dodging/protest would depend what political party was in and what the specific war was about, could be minor or major. Nam was a loser from the start and soon became known for it. 9-11 had high emotions attached to it and BushCo took advantage of it to stage us in Afghanistan while ignoring getting bin Laden to hit a neutered Iran. Most Americans have nearly forgotten about 9-11 and the sham pulled, they'll fall for it again like a shooting star.

Comment

The amount and degree of draft dodging/protest would depend what political party was in and what the specific war was about, could be minor or major.
            AND.... it would depend greatly on whether that person was personally being affected by the draft or not. At the height of the Iraq War, I knew a couple of people who were Republican supporters and who strongly backed the US invasion whenever this topic came up in conversation. But when I asked them if they wouldn't mind sending their own children into this war,.... whoa! All of a sudden, they clammed up. One of them said that she couldn't imagine her son going since he just got married. Well, HELLO!!! If our country still had the draft, then his newlywed status wouldn't matter. If his number gets picked and he's physically/mentally fit to serve, then off to battle he goes.

See, that's what I was talking about. There are a lot of people who were either verbal supporters of the Iraq War, or who were indifferent on the matter.... just as long as they personally weren't affected and someone else's son and daughter were going off to fight the war. But if there was a draft and suddenly, they and/or someone in their family is being forced to fight in a war that appears questionable, you don't think that at least some of those very same people are going to have a different viewpoint towards the war?

If your answer is no, then I wonder if you ever understood the meaning of the song, "Fortunate Son." Maybe you've heard it many times. But that doesn't necessarily mean you understand it.

Most Americans have nearly forgotten about 9-11 and the sham pulled, they'll fall for it again like a shooting star.
            I think it is safe to say that the family members and friends of each of the 4,200 soldiers killed in Iraq have not forgotten.

Comment

oh oh, we're nearing agreement!

AND.... it would depend greatly on whether that person was personally being affected by the draft or not. At the height of the Iraq War, I knew a couple of people who were Republican supporters and who strongly backed the US invasion whenever this topic came up in conversation. But when I asked them if they wouldn't mind sending their own children into this war,.... whoa! All of a sudden, they clammed up. One of them said that she couldn't imagine her son going since he just got married. Well, HELLO!!! If our country still had the draft, then his newlywed status wouldn't matter. If his number gets picked and he's physically/mentally fit to serve, then off to battle he goes.

See, that's what I was talking about. There are a lot of people who were either verbal supporters of the Iraq War, or who were indifferent on the matter.... just as long as they personally weren't affected and someone else's son and daughter were going off to fight the war. But if there was a draft and suddenly, they and/or someone in their family is being forced to fight in a war that appears questionable, you don't think that at least some of those very same people are going to have a different viewpoint towards the war? If your answer is no, then I wonder if you ever understood the meaning of the song, "Fortunate Son." Maybe you've heard it many times. But that doesn't necessarily mean you understand it.

I think it is safe to say that the family members and friends of each of the 4,200 soldiers killed in Iraq have not forgotten.
              Of course, plenty in fact, and I've understood 'Son' from day 1.

Hence, the word - most.

Comment

Working...
              X