Earth Facts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Earth Facts...

It seems that we've been getting alot more ocean water up on land lately.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

hey buddy.
      No bad jokes!
      c'mon.
      show some sensitivity.

Comment

It's not a joke at all. The recent big tsunami and now this. I donated to a fund for a sister church in Sri Lanka and will find a way to help in my little way now. Sure makes me appreciate what I do have at this time in my life and to realize that I could lose even that in a moments notice.

Comment

I once saw a science documentary (don't remember where) that described the moon's role in keeping the earth spinning smoothly on its axis. Without the moon's gravity, earth would just wobble off into space. Woe!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveNSoKona
            My wife pointed out that NO mountains in the rest of the world are measured this way. RE: The Island of Hawaii has the tallest mountains in the world.
            While it's true that the height of mountains are measured from sea level, That's because their base is continental. The base of any island in any sea is the sea floor. There's a brand new exhibit in the Planetarium Lobby of the Bishop Museum called "Science on a Sphere". Part of the monologue in that exhibit pronounces Mauna Kea to be the tallest mountain in the world. So some respected scientist concurs with little ol' me.

Comment

The Ocean's deepest point is believed to be the Mariana Trench. Thought to be 36,200 Feet. Here's a LINK

Comment

I watched a TV show last night called "Last days on Earth".
                http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=2319986

Many different scientists and respected professionals in their fields spoke on what they believe to be the eight most possible ways for the annihilation of the Earth or at least the extinction of humans to come about.

1) Gamma Ray Burst
                This could happen at the death of a nearby star (or our sun).
                First our Ozone layer would be burned off, leaving all plants and animals alike to die of Radiation.

2) Black Holes
                Scientists have discovered that they(Black Holes) move around, actually wander so if one came towards us, there'd be no escape. First change would be massive tides, then colder winters and hotter summers, our atmosphere would be sucked off the earth then our planet itself devoured.

3) Intelligent Machines
                I was presupposed that the "artificial intelligence" that we create in to computer systems and robotics may one day be our downfall.

4) Super Volcanic Eruption
                There are at least 40 very large calderas around the world. They each on their own would send enough poisonous ash into the atmosphere to block out the sun and as it fell back to Earth the oceans would become desolate acid pools. All would starve. Yellowstone Park is one of these calderas and I've been there. The whole place is gurgling, bubbling and spewing up.

5) Asteroid
                The thing here is we know that the Earth has been hit many times and asteroids are one possible explanation for the extinction of the dinosaurs. Scientists believe that on April 13, 2029 an asteroid will pass so closely that it'll actually dip below some of our satellites!

6) Self Destruction
                By nuclear or biological warfare.

7) Pandemic - Plague
                Some microbe or virus could come along that we can't figure out how to combat and be taken out.

8) Climate change
                From Carbon Dioxide. What had been dubbed as "Global Warming" is now called climate change to reflect all the different aspects attributed to it. Yes to temperature rise, sea levels also, more large and stronger storms, less fresh water so harder to grow food or drink.

The only real good out of any of these scenarios happening is that we just might realize that we truly are "one people, one planet". But probably not still.

Love your fellow brother and sister too!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
                  Asteroid
                  The thing here is we know that the Earth has been hit many times and asteroids are one possible explanation for the extinction of the dinosaurs. Scientists believe that on April 13, 2029 an asteroid will pass so closely that it'll actually dip below some of our satellites!
                  Here's a link to info on the Asteroid.
                  http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2...ay_2004mn4.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Fondoo2 View Post
                    I hope some day science will not be driven by profit and can instead work towards bringing back our balance with nature.
                    Gawed I'm such a hippie!
                    I wish so too. Hippies unite!

Comment

I get a headache everytime I think "where does the universe end?"

Comment

Originally posted by speedtek View Post
                        I get a headache everytime I think "where does the universe end?"
                        On Kapiolani BLVD next to McKinley Car Wash.
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                          On Kapiolani BLVD next to McKinley Car Wash.
                          Gee, I thought it was Charley Young Beach!

Comment

double, sorry
                            Last edited by DKP; July 14, 2007, 06:50 AM.
                            Sing with me, everyone!
                            "Some folk'll never eat a skunk, but then again, some folk'll..."
                            like your mama, the slack-jawed yok'll.
                            --------------------------------------------------------------
                            http://www.haleakalatimes.com/ <--- better than MTV
                            The Nettle Caterpillar Must DIE!!!
                            http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/IP-22.pdf

Comment

It's cool how plants communicate w/one another. Example. Grow male and female plants from seed, in separate pots. Put a fan on one side, and arrange, say, 4 pots into a square. Most of the time, the plants upwind will become male...downwind, female. Pollen has the best chance of reaching it's target that way. How do they (plants themselves), know if they are up wind or downwind from one another?

Plants can also warn one another of possible danger.

Hermaphrodite plants. They can start as strictly male or female, but can sense when their environment is threatening (or possibly if there aren't others around to oof), then they grow the best of both worlds and oof-off.

Other trippish phenoms (some proven, some not...hopefully soon, if fact):

- Synchronicity

- Our sense of presence. Ex. Say I'm surfing at a break, alone. I am facing the ocean. I can't hear a thing from shore because the wind is coming from the direction of the sea. I get the feeling of human presence, turn around, and 30 feet towards shore is someone else paddling out. I haven't looked back that way for 2 hours, then right after the feeling...bam...another human...just like my senses told me. Everyone has experiences with this same underlying concept. Ususally if it happens in a room, you are simply sensing the air displacement, but in other scenarios...???

- Deja Vu

- Genetic Memory/Racial Memory

- It trips me out that Bush doesn't simply use a public speaker. Who'd lose respect for him (if you have any for him to begin with), as the ideas will be the same, just not the vocal chords. We live in a representative democracy, why can't he use a representative to talk for him? He should.

- Ancient knowledge (of many cultures) of plant/animal behavior, all gained through observation/spiritual journey/balls. Ex. My grandpa used to feed his neighborhood tiger/hammerhead sharks by hand. Never in his 80+ years of doing this have the sharks displayed aggressive behavior. He told me the key is not only to not show/feel fear, but not to exhibit what I can only describe as 'predatory vibes', whether you're on land or on sea (as they will be carried with you to the sea). Whether it is true or not, who knows, but the effect is the same, no? Never attacked. I've seen other people successful at this...I wonder if they all have 'cool' personalities, or if they're just very calm during the feedings. Gramps was probably just trying to keep me out of prison.

- Everything is pretty much made of the same lego blocks, and when disassembled, new everythings are made of the old everythings. They say I'm full of s*it and they are correct. So are you :P J/k.
                              Last edited by DKP; July 14, 2007, 07:03 AM.
                              Sing with me, everyone!

Comment

Also, how each successive generation is much more brilliant than the one before. I think this is a combo of 'standing on the shoulders of giants' + genetic/racial memory (not proven), amongst other things.

It kind of scares me sometimes.

(Gangsta rap influenced teens x peer pressure + brilliance + motive) - (giving a f*ck x 10) = a successful Mercedes auto theft committed by a lone 10 year old...who NEVER GOT CAUGHT. True story...not a biography.
                                Sing with me, everyone!

Comment

Working...
                                X