To Spank Or Not To Spank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: To Spank Or Not To Spank?

Whose parents didnt spank their kids? Humans are animals just like dogs. You smack your dog on the nose while they are young and they are trained with no need to punish them corporally anymore after the first month or so. Kids are the same. They learn authority and right/wrong when they are young through spanking when appropriate. Limit it to the bottom and we all know with common sense the difference between spank and beating. By the time your child is 7 you most likely wont ever have to spank em again. By that time they know who the boss is, and they are old enough to discipline with the spoken word and limitation of privileges.

Comment

A "light pat on the 'okole" (where there is natural padding anyway) is waaaaay different than a bashing on the head or other body part. Shaking a child is also considered abuse.

The same adults who abuse kids by beating them or shaking them so violently that the kids suffer brain damage are probably also the ones who show road rage, too. They have an adult body with a childlike immaturity about how to deal with their frustration.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by makalika
        Whose parents didnt spank their kids? Humans are animals just like dogs. You smack your dog on the nose while they are young and they are trained with no need to punish them corporally anymore after the first month or so. Kids are the same. They learn authority and right/wrong when they are young through spanking when appropriate. Limit it to the bottom and we all know with common sense the difference between spank and beating. By the time your child is 7 you most likely wont ever have to spank em again. By that time they know who the boss is, and they are old enough to discipline with the spoken word and limitation of privileges.
        I'm a parent and I didn't spank my kids. I would raise my voice and give one stink eye that every local madda does and they would listen. No question asked or giving me problems. Then again, my late husband was the one who handled things if and only when it was needed without me around. Reason, anything that would make my kids cry, would make me cry too.

My newborn grandson will get the same upbringing from me as I gave to his mother. No spanking. Babies and children are precious and lttle angels.
        K, i'm tired. not feeling good today too. i'll check back laters!

love, auntie lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I say spank the auction spammer.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

nah...spank the monkey and let's get our quarter's worth!!!
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I say spank, everyone needs it sometimes....

-Will
              Just a guy from Mississippi trying to find out what life is all about

Comment

Originally posted by tarzan
                I say spank, everyone needs it sometimes....

-Will

Huh???????

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                  So lets see if there's a direct correlation between those of us who got spanked and our political affilation. I got spanked and I turned out a Republican.

Next...
                  Nope. My mom never failed to spank me whenever my behavior crossed the line. Don't blame me--I voted for Kerry. And Gore. And Clinton.
                  http://www.pineapplejuice.net/freshly-squeezed

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                    lets see if there's a direct correlation between those of us who got spanked and our political affilation. I got spanked and I turned out a Republican.

Next...

I was spanked when it was appropriate and required.

I HATE politics.

Comment

I was spoiled, spanked and then some. Raised, not in a normal sense of a childhood ( would never change it). Parents were involved with cadidates running for office (big money donors), Neil Blaisdell and John a Burns. So, I guess I became like them. I vote for the candidate not the party. Although when I was a mere teenager, I was President for TARS (Teenage Republicans) of Hawaii. Hmmm...I wonder if that's why I became NUTS?
                      Last edited by 1stwahine; April 10, 2005, 08:23 AM.

Comment

That's interesting because I was born and raised a Democrat simply because my parents were and that Dan Inouye's sister-in-law was my Den Mother when I was a cub scout. We had to pass out re-election flyers in our Cub Scout uniforms for then State Senator Inouye in our neighborhood. Kinda seems unethical in these days, but it was 1969 then.

I stayed a staunch Democrat until the fall of 1984 when I took a Politcal Science class at UH Manoa and because it was an election year (Reagan vs Mondale) two people were picked to do a mock presidential debate. I lost and had to be Ronald Reagan. I protested but to no avail. Participation in this debate as a candidate covered my mid-term exam.

Not only did I have to represent a party I hated but I had to do a good job for a good grade. So I bit the bullet and became Ronald Reagan.

After numerous interviews with party officials at their HQ and reading as much as possible on Reagan to understand his persona (and it was a great one) as well as understanding the Republican's positions I was ready for the debate.

I spoke of our nation's need to build up our Navy's armada to a 600-fleet flotilla to tell the then Soviet Union we will deter a Soviet attack on their shores with our fleet. My professor told me that President Reagan would never say such a politically incorrect statement to our cold war enemy much less in a debate.

I told him I think he would, so we agreed that if he did mention what I said in his actual debate, I would pass with an A for accurately reading the president's mindset and behaviour.

Well Reagan said exactly that and I passed. But it was during the note-taking when I was fishing for information about the Republican party that I realized my beliefs followed the Republican party. I was a Christian, I was against abortion (but not for the nation), I believed the welfare system needed a major revamping, I believed in a market driven economy and I believed in a strong military. I still believe in these principles and quite frankly, a lot of people do too. Remember Democrats go to church too.

So I realized I was a Republican much to my surprize. I don't consider myself an extremist as I did vote for Inouye as he brings in the money to our local economy and I'm not blind to that. Abercrombie...when he cut his ponytail I lost my confidence in him (I voted for him when he first ran).

But as a child, I was paddled to the point where the word koa paddle brings shudders to me...drilled koa paddle sends a shiver up my spine when it get's mentioned. So do the words: Belt, Belt buckle, Rice paddle, yard stick, or anything my mom could get her hands on for my dirty lickings. And now look at me...a Republican!! Friggin Warmonger...and yes I'm a U.S. Veteran to boot!
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Craig, first of all, thank you for your service in the Armed Forces. I never really did appreciate anything concerning War Vets. I learned alot when my own children went to War.

Second, our generation took the spankings and the paddlings. Most of us came out pretty good. The generation of today lacks something. I don't believe in spanking...but yesterday, after chuch my 8 year old nephew couldn't stop touching everything in sight. Needless to say, he does it purposely and my sister asked me to take care of the problem. I didn't even say one word or raise my hand, the kid started screaming as if someone was killing him. People started to stare. I did what I used to do for my own kids. I started to scream like he was. I no shame. I'm crazy!

He shut his mouth and behaved like a little boy should. I called this morning and he went to school without the usual acting up and giving problems. He was told Aunty Lynn coming.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                            I didn't even say one word or raise my hand, the kid started screaming as if someone was killing him. People started to stare. I did what I used to do for my own kids. I started to scream like he was. I no shame. I'm crazy!

He shut his mouth and behaved like a little boy should. I called this morning and he went to school without the usual acting up and giving problems. He was told Aunty Lynn coming.
                            Too much!! Awesome, Auntieeee!! I goin' call you up when my kid ack up!!! Mahalo for the great idea!

Blaine
                            Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                              I did what I used to do for my own kids. I started to scream like he was. I no shame. I'm crazy!
                              Hmm. Well, this might work with screaming, but the "backatcha treatment" doesn't work with all bad kid behavior. Like, say, biting. Not that anyone here would know anything about that, no sir.

Gotta admit, though, seeing Lynn or any grown adult throw a toddler-like tantrum would probably scare me straight. At least for a while...

Comment

You're welcome ZZType. It works. The best one I did was when my son wanted one of the toys they sell in 7/11 by the doors. He gave a tantrum screaming, crying & kicking on the ground. Told my husband to hold my purse and walk out. He did. I threw myself on the ground and gave my son a tantrum too. He looked at me and wen shut up so fast. Never did give me any more tantrums! Must have told my daughters too. They never did try it on me.

Comment

Working...
                                X