Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your Hometown: Then & Now

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
    Does anyone know if the Glass Bottom Boat still operates out of Heeia Kea Harbor? That was there for the longest time.
    The time has gotten longer, cuz the Coral Queen is still there! Cheap thrills, too; I think they're charging $10.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Of course, "back in the day", what made Hygienic store famous wasn't the store itself, but the "store" under the banyan tree next to it.
      Yeah I grew up with some of those guys but fortunately took the high road. The other "drive-thru" was Wong's Village down the road until the landowners got smart and cut the high grass between the drive thru and the highway.

Does anyone know if the Glass Bottom Boat still operates out of Heeia Kea Harbor? That was there for the longest time.
      I think it's still there. I never really noticed but one night we went to the pier to check out the fishermen...there was something in the usual spot where its moored... just assuming its the GBB.

Comment

Originally posted by woodman View Post
        Pomai,

Kin Wah might still be there, but their fried rice has gone down hill; some days good, some days it's bad.

They used to be consistent, not hit-&-miss like they are, now.
        That's what I hear. They've gone a bit downhill.

Supposedly the guy who started Kin Wah was formerly the head cook at Mui Kwai Chop Suey, which is (or was) further down Kam Highway where Tasty Treat used to be (remember them?!). Which later became L&L, and now is some unknown plate lunch stand.

Mui Kwai was our favorite chinese restaurant in Kaneohe, until Kin Wah opened. Then we were loyal to Kin Wah.

Quite honestly today, I'd probably rather eat at Masa & Joyce next door.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

The majority of my childhood was spent literally two blocks away from Auntie Lynn in Kalihi-Palama. My parents moved there when I was a week old, and we lived there until mom moved us to Aliamanu, where we still live today.

As a kid I never really was allowed to wander past the gates of our condo. Back then it was really bad because drug deals were done in the vans that used to litter the streets. I like going back and driving through the old neighborhood because I'm so proud of what that community's done.

It hasn't really changed much. Tamashiro Market, Banyan Park, and Kaumakapili Church are still there, obviously. Some of the cashier nanas at Tamashiro's are still there too, and some even remember me. I have fond memories of dad taking me to Likelike Market for Icee and Pork Hash after he'd pick me up from St. Theresa. Auntie Lynn, does the same family still run the store? We were good friends with the family's son as we were around the same age, and I had family who lived in the house in back of the store on Panalaau St.

It didn't look like much to outsiders, but Kanoa St. was indeed a great place to grow up.
          Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
          We're not here to mess around
          Boston, you know we love you madly
          Hear the crowd roar to your sound
          Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
          You know we couldn't live without you
          Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
            The majority of my childhood was spent literally two blocks away from Auntie Lynn in Kalihi-Palama. My parents moved there when I was a week old, and we lived there until mom moved us to Aliamanu, where we still live today.
            So Aliamanu is where to go when one wants to go on a "psycho-tropical vacation avoiding rehab". Cool! I'm booking my next flight there!

One thing I DO NOT miss about Kaneohe is the frequent rains. Rain is good, but a pain for a car owner trying to keep their ride clean.

It always seemed like the "Kaneohe Rain Gods" were watching down on me saying to each other (in a Godly,yet sarcastic voice), "HA! HA! HA! HA! Look at the fool washing his car again. We'll make it rain now. He he he ha haa HA HA HA!"
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

One thing I DO NOT miss about Kaneohe is the frequent rains.
              Even though that same rain is what makes it so lushly beautiful here in Kaneohe?
              And of course you just never know, year to year. Last year Oahu had that period of over 40 straight days of rain. This year, not so much. Heh. Oahu's average rainfall for the year to date is well over 11" but so far this year, just barely 3".
              This year, Kaneohe has felt more like Waianae. You would've loved it.
              BTW, don't know if you saw #16 in this thread, but the answer is yes, the glass bottom boat Coral Queen is still active.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
                Ain't dat da truth.

The island stay small even online. Neva know what relatives are lurking around the corner. *glances around*

As for the topic I was partly raised so many places that I don't feel qualified to discuss a hometown.

Back home (O'ahu) I lived in 6 different cities total and here in So Cal I've lived in 5.
                LOL, LeiKaina, I'm not afraid of any relatives lurking around and I have a lot of relatives in Hawai'i. It's my job which has very high public visibility that worries me...

That's why I hesitate to post replies, sometimes. I'm afraid of revealing too much of myself and that some people might be able to pinpoint where I work!

Comment

Well, I am originally from Bermuda. Though I have spent the better part of my "grown up" years in the U.S. I still consider Bermuda home. I have duel citizenships with both the U.K. and the U.S.of A.

I have lived in Virginia Beach, Amsterdam, Washington D.C.,Seattle, Vancouver B.C., Costa Rica, and now Hawaii.

I love having a universal trade and it has allowed me to do a lot of traveling. I still consider Bermuda home even though I only get back once a year at most. I am proud to be from Bermuda actually. I consider VA my "stomping grouds" and have a LOT of memories tied there, and my family is now there,so I know it will always be a part of my extended home.

Home is where the heart is, but my heart is in many places, so I am at a loss of where to call home. Right now, Oahu is home. Next ear, who knows, future is wide open.

I must say though, I have found a lot of parallels between Here and BDA. the first gear kinda feel is awesome, and the warmth I have felt overall is nice. I know that there are a lot of underlying political issues and what not, but it is the same in Bermuda, and that is a different story. I respect and appreciate the pride the Hawaiian people have. I am humbled to be here and have the opportunity to experience things first hand.

Main difference is a skyline, but when we got into the country side, it really felt great. Bermuda has reached a point where they are not allowing new construction, I think it is a great idea and very good for preservation of things. There comes a point where enough IS enough. Bermuda is small in comparison to Hawaii. At 21 square miles, there isn't much to it. The beaches are beautiful, the shopping is cool, it can be pricey, fresh meat is rare(no pun intended), seafood is everywhere, gas is costly, people are warm and inviting, tourists are everywhere, scooters are everywhere(though in Bermuda you are only allowed 1 car per household, so everyone has a scoot)and it is drivin by tourist and off shore banking, as there are no taxes in BDA. Only Bermudians, of Bermuda lineage, are allowed to own property though that is in question as money talks and well, we know the rest.Tuckertown is full of million+ dollar properties that are own by people like the modern Ross Perot, and the late Denslow(author of the Wonderful Wizard Of Oz)have been able to buy there way in.

Another HUGE difference is the mountains, they are AWESOME! The climate here is way different too. BDA is HOT HOT HOT and even more humid. Take a shower in the morning and you never dry off.

At any rate, I now call Hawaii home. I gues I have rubber tree roots that have streched all over the place.
                  flickr

An email from God:
                  To: People of Earth
                  Date: 9/04/2007
                  Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                  God

Comment

Kailua has become "Satellite Waikiki".

Kailua Shopping Center & vicinity resemble a mini-Beachwalk environment with all of the cookie-cutter commercial outlets. You half expect to turn a corner and find Planet Hollywood, Nike Town, or Hard Rock Cafe (though I would guess those are not too far off in the future).

Tourists come for the beach, so the only thing missing are the Armani's, Coach, L/V, Cartier, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                      BTW, don't know if you saw #16 in this thread, but the answer is yes, the glass bottom boat Coral Queen is still active.
                      I seen that. $10? What a steal! Forget Navatek, I'm booking my next boat ride on the Coral Queen!
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

The closest "town" for me was Kailua. I don't get that way very often since my family moved out. When I've been there, it's been like - same, but different. Most of the old buildings are there, but they've been remodeled, changed colors and most of the business have shifted around so it's no longer the old Kailua. I sit there and I know exactly where I am, but I have trouble remembering how it was to identify all the changes.

The biggest change is the trees in the middle of Kailua Road. But bigger changes is in store as they redevelop a bunch of cheap apartments on Kailua road. That's going to be quite a change the landscape.

The home I lived in was demolished and replaced with a box. The new owners must have felt the old home didn't take enough advantage of the view and instead of blending in like the old building did, the new box, "stuck up" to see better. They also took out the large bayon tree in the back yard. Too much liability, I guess. I haven't been by there in very long time. I could see enough to recognize the lot, but too much was missing to feel like home.

Comment

I'm pretty much an East Honolulu kid. Kalaha (the low-rent townhouse part by Wilson Elem), Niu Valley and Hawaii Kai. I identify most with Niu Valley, as that's where I "came up" with my homies, skating Wallows (now unridable as far as I know), surfing those killer mysto spots that only hard heads surfed and smoking Gadangs at Niu Valley Intermediate. Car-egging allegations can never be proved. We hiked Hawaii Loa Ridge all the way to the Ko'olau ridgeline (no trail) at a time when 80% of the houses of the money birds that now roost there weren't there.

I don't think Niu has changed all that much, excepting the widening of Kalanianaole Hwy and the cluster of luxury beachfront homes between Kawaikui Park (where my first band practiced on City juice) and West Halemaumau. Hawaii Kai is a much different story. Costco and condos now sit on land my friends and I used to ride bike. And it seems like there are a whole lot more old people out there now. Good or bad, change is change. I'm not wistful or resentful, just sometimes amazed at how many more people are out there now.
                          Don't be mean,
                          try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub View Post
                            I don't think Niu has changed all that much.
                            How do you feel about a CHURCH occupying the former Times Supermarket ANCHOR TENANT space in Niu Valley Shopping Center?

Nothing against the church organization themselves, but I'm sure the neighboring business tenants (KFC, Le Bistro & Lung Fung) aren't too thrilled. Considering the demographic of the area, that'd be a great spot for a TRADER JOE'S!

At least there's a new Seven-Eleven there. Something the community as a whole must appreciate for the convenience. I make good use of it.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Considering the demographic of the area, that'd be a great spot for a TRADER JOE'S!
                              Sorry, Pomai, but I keep telling you - Hawai`i isn't getting a TJ's. You can't. It's the best place for us Mainlanders to get omiyage to bring to the Islands. Neeners.

Home. Born in a suburb of St. Louis, but grew up in Des Moines and Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Been back a few times since moving to Seattle 23 years ago - don't have any desire to see CR again, though DM still has a few charms for me; the Art Museum, the State Fair, my old neighborhood (which has changed little.)

I guess I still consider Des Moines as my original "hometown." But if I didn't have a daughter in Iowa, I'd probably have no reason to go back.

Comment

How do you feel about a CHURCH occupying the former Times Supermarket ANCHOR TENANT space in Niu Valley Shopping Center?
                                Well, I got used to the church that replaced the old Ranch House in Aina Haina. And I LOVED that place. My folks took me there after my baseball games at Aina Haina Elementary.
                                Don't be mean,
                                try to help.

Comment

Working...
                                X