Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your Hometown: Then & Now

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post

I guess I still consider Des Moines as my original "hometown." But if I didn't have a daughter in Iowa, I'd probably have no reason to go back.

I've never been to Des Moines (or any part of Iowa), but I wouldn't mind going there. One of my insurance carriers is situated there and I send them a huge box of Hawaii treats (macadamia nuts, local chocolate-covered shortbread cookies, Kona coffee, etc.) for Christmas.

I was born in Hilo, but spent my first seven years in Pahala. Sugar in no more, replaced by macadamia nuts. Hilo has changed with 40,000 residents compared with 25,000 in my time, but remains a "sleepy small town." The people are the same, but 40 years older. But, it's a peaceful, laid-back place, but the night gets interrupted by those damned coqui frogs!

Comment

Re: Your Hometown: Then & Now

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
      I've never been to Des Moines (or any part of Iowa), but I wouldn't mind going there. One of my insurance carriers is situated there and I send them a huge box of Hawaii treats (macadamia nuts, local chocolate-covered shortbread cookies, Kona coffee, etc.) for Christmas.
      Des Moines is the #2 city in the US for insurance companies to be based, following Hartford, CT. There's not a lot of reasons to go to Iowa, BUT if you ever do, please let me know, and I can offer suggestions of things to see and do. I will say that, if you can handle the high-humidity (from Hilo, you just might be okay with it) combined with heat in the 90-degree range, go to Des Moines in late August and spend a day at the Iowa State Fair. It's huge, it's a unique Midwestern cultural experience, it's a feast of food and activities.

Comment

Working...
      X