Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ShipToHawaii.com?

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    [...]Here's what I'm wondering. I have been wanting to give a loved one (me) one of those "wines of the month" subscriptions, but most of the providers say that can't ship to Hawaii for legal reasons. I know: I can't make sense out of it, because some WILL ship wine to Hawaii while others say they're prohibited from doing so. Will they ship it to Ship to Hawaii, and will Ship to Hawaii in turn send it here? The only relevant item in the FAQ says that you can't send flammable materials. Does that include wine?
    I read somewhere on STH that they won't ship alcohol. Maybe it was their ToS? Didya know that local shopping services (eg: Akamai Grocery Shopping and Delivery Service) are prohibited from purchasing and delivering alcohol?

Comment

Here's what I'm wondering. I have been wanting to give a loved one (me) one of those "wines of the month" subscriptions, but most of the providers say that can't ship to Hawaii for legal reasons.
      I think it's because the laws regulating shipping/ordering online/transporting wines inter-state are varied and somewhat complicated, because each state has its own rules and regulations (including being of legal age). After a hasty search, here's a link that might explain why, though there are sites that probably provide better explanations (sorry, I don't have time; I think my dinner is burning).

Comment

Alcohol seems to be OK, long as it's not more than a gallon at a time.

(I once shipped a couple of gallons of casting resin here as excess baggage on a flight. Knowing the airline wouldn't accept it, I labled the gallon jugs Zinfandel and Rose, and they sailed through just fine. Never get away with that today.)

Note that woot will charge you the California sales tax when you order on their online form. They did to me. Apparently, they're not supposed to.
        Burl Burlingame
        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Here's what I'm wondering. I have been wanting to give a loved one (me) one of those "wines of the month" subscriptions, but most of the providers say that can't ship to Hawaii for legal reasons. I know: I can't make sense out of it, because some WILL ship wine to Hawaii while others say they're prohibited from doing so. Will they ship it to Ship to Hawaii, and will Ship to Hawaii in turn send it here? The only relevant item in the FAQ says that you can't send flammable materials. Does that include wine?
          The winery that I'm a manini shareholder of (Silver Lake Winery) will ship to Hawai'i. But there are some legal limitations on the quantity that can be shipped to Hawai'i (a Hawai'i state reg). I also don't know who they use to ship their wines, but they (Silver Lake) do have a wine club and most of the wines are excellent, especially the ones from the Silver Lake Winery label (which is moderately priced) and Glen Fiona (high end, and very luscious French-style Syrahs and Bourdeaux and their Viognier is absolutely fabulous) which Silver Lake markets for the Glen Fiona Winery.

I think the laws in Washington State allow each Hawai'i customer to purchase a total of 3 cases annually. And maybe the restriction is that you can't join a wine club but can buy individual bottles, so long as the total number of bottles you send to any one address in Hawai'i does not exceed 3 cases annually.

Hmmm...I just found this "Reciprocal Shipments of Wine" form from the Hawai'i Dept. of Liquor Control (from 2001-2002) which states that wineries in reciprocal states (California*Colorado*Hawaii*Idaho*Illinois*Iowa*Mi nnesota
          Missouri*New Mexico*Oregon*Washington*West Virginia*Wisconsin) can ship up to 2 cases of wine at a time to home addresses in Hawai'i for the customer's personal use only, but it only talks about this form being valid only for the Neighbor Islands and not Oahu. Kind of odd. Maybe you can call the Honolulu Liquor Control Board and ask them if the 2 case limit also applies to Oahu addresses or if Oahu customers can get 3 cases? So if that's what the limitations are, even if a winery is in a reciprocal state, it could be that some wineries and wine clubs on CONUS don't want to hassle with registering 4x just to ship wine to a few customers in Hawai'i every year?

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post

I also don't know who they use to (,,,)
            I think the laws in Washington State allow (...)
            And maybe the restriction is (...)
            Maybe you can (...)
            So if that's what the limitations are (...)
            even if a winery (...)
            it could be that some wineries (...)
            While that post may have looked impressive at first glance, a second reading of it showed the seven vague and evasive items above. Seven, in just one post.
            Now, don't go accusing me of "stalking" you, Miulang. I'm starting to believe that maybe you simply don't realize how often you use those vague and evasive terms.
            Carry on.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
              maybe you simply don't realize how often you use those vague and evasive terms.
              Maybe, but I found it helpful. It gives me somewhere to begin looking for answers.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Maybe, but I found it helpful. It gives me somewhere to begin looking for answers.
                I just checked on the Volcano Winery website (wines from the Big Island) and it says the State limit is 3 cases of wine per year per customer address, so it sounds like the State changed the upper limits of their regulations sometime between 2001 and now. If you want to avoid the hassle with out of state regs, you can also get local wine from Tedeschi Winery on Maui. Some of their red wines are surprisingly tasty (they're only bottling one variety right now---Ulupalakua Red), although I don't like their whites too much. Too fruity for me. The Maui Brut (sparkling wine) is good, too. You can usually find their stuff at Longs (I think some of the local supermarket chains might carry a few bottles). ABC Stores also carries some varieties every now and then, too. And when Whole Foods Market finally opens in Honolulu, they should have a very impressive selection of French, Italian and domestic wines available by the bottle.

Miulang
                Last edited by Miulang; July 22, 2007, 09:10 AM.
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  I read somewhere on STH that they won't ship alcohol. [...]
                  Found it! From STH's "shipping agreement":
                  1. The following items shall NOT constitute any part or all of any Shipment:

a. Alcoholic beverages and tobacco;
                  This is just a snippet from a lengthy list.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                    Found it! From STH's "shipping agreement":

This is just a snippet from a lengthy list.
                    Interesting. Not listed in their FAQ, which does mention tobacco.
                    Burl Burlingame
                    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
                      Interesting. Not listed in their FAQ, which does mention tobacco.
                      That's interesting, too!!! Maybe a personal clarification from the owner is in order.

Comment

Scriv:
                        Looking at the tariffs for UPS, they will accept shipments of alcoholic beverages (beer and wine only), but it appears that it has to come directly from "licensed shippers":

ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES
                        The only alcoholic beverages that UPS accepts for transportation are wine and beer. Packages containing wine and beer are accepted for transportation only from shippers who are licensed and authorized under applicable laws to ship alcohol and only on a contractual basis. To receive service for packages containing wine or beer, the shipper must sign a contract and agree to the provisions set forth in the applicable approved UPS agreement for the transportation of wine or beer. ..
                        So again, the "hassle factor" may be why some wineries and wine clubs in states that have reciprocity agreements with Hawai'i refuse to ship wine to customers there. The tariff also states that UPS can destroy any contents which violate the tariffs, so I wonder if they let their workers sample the contraband material if it gets confiscated????

Miulang

Comment

You can usually find their stuff at Longs (I think some of the local supermarket chains might carry a few bottles). ABC Stores also carries some varieties every now and then, too. And when Whole Foods Market finally opens in Honolulu, they should have a very impressive selection of French, Italian and domestic wines available by the bottle.
                          Shopping for wine at Longs and ABC Stores? Wait for Whole Foods to get here, then us ignorant Hawaii residents will know what "real" wine tastes like?

Please.

There's already plenty of choice for wine drinkers in Honolulu who wish to support LOCAL business. And there are no tariffs or shipping charges to worry about.

The Wine Stop

Tamura's

Fujioka's Wine Times

Liquor Collection

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                            Shopping for wine at Longs and ABC Stores? Wait for Whole Foods to get here, then us ignorant Hawaii residents will know what "real" wine tastes like?

Please.

There's already plenty of choice for wine drinkers in Honolulu who wish to support LOCAL business. And there are no tariffs or shipping charges to worry about.

The Wine Stop

Tamura's

Fujioka's Wine Times

Liquor Collection
                            Hmmm...Volcano Winery and Tedeschi ARE local, unless the Big Island and Maui have ceceded from the state while no one was looking.

Miulang
                            Last edited by Miulang; July 22, 2007, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Hmmm...Volcano Winery and Tedeschi ARE local, unless the Big Island and Maui have ceceded from the state while no one was looking.
                              Are you high-fiving yourself because you came up with a snarky comment?

My point is that local residents don't need to go to Longs, ABC Stores or wait for Whole Foods to come riding in on a white horse.

There are lots of options for residents to buy quality wine without having to worry about tariffs or shipping charges.

Oh, and you need to work on your spelling. It's seceded.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
                                Are you high-fiving yourself because you came up with a snarky comment?

My point is that local residents don't need to go to Longs, ABC Stores or wait for Whole Foods to come riding in on a white horse.

There are lots of options for residents to buy quality wine without having to worry about tariffs or shipping charges.

Oh, and you need to work on your spelling. It's seceded.
                                Too bad somebody has no aloha. But then, everybody who's been on this board for any length of time already knew that. Put me on ignore, Joe, because this is getting boring. The people who want to go to Whole Foods will go there. The people who want to go to Tamura's will go there. Nobody is putting a gun to their heads either way.

Comment

Working...
                                X