Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ShipToHawaii.com?

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
    Too bad somebody has no aloha. But then, everybody who's been on this board for any length of time already knew that. Put me on ignore, Joe, because this is getting boring.
    I have no aloha for someone who shows no aloha to me. And don't try to tell a Hawaiian how to "act" Hawaiian, especially if you have no koko of your own.

Don't act like you're a little angel, because you're not. And don't whine about people "attacking" you while you take passive-agressive swings of your own.

Again, my point: There are lots of options for local residents to buy wine locally, without the need to pay tariffs or shipping charges.

For you to suggest that folks wait for Whole Foods to open is silly.

If this is getting boring for you, feel free to move along. I don't utilize the ignore button.
    Last edited by Palolo Joe; July 22, 2007, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Both of you, grow up. Any more pointless snarking and you're taking a month-long vacation.

Comment

Local wine merchants have been very, very helpful, and I enjoy shopping at their stores. The problem is that I live alone and opening up a good bottle of wine when one typically dines alone is sort of a losing proposition, kinda like those five-pound bags of broccoli florets one gets at Costco.

I am thinking of the wine-of-the-month thing because it would be a fun gift to give three friends, a kind of split-subscription. Then once a month, we'd have a great reason to get together and have a few glasses of a few different wines. Getting wine delivered every month means that my gift goes all year long, which also appeals to me.

I know that individual wineries have their own wines-of-the-month deals, but I'm not as interested in that because I'm looking for a wide variety of wines recommended by someone else. My own wine log is going to get boring if I'm writing about the same vintners every day.

My guess is that the three-case limit is the reason some subscriptions will ship to Hawaii and others won't, but that doesn't make sense for those short-term subscriptions (you can often get them in three- or four-month terms).
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          Local wine merchants have been very, very helpful, and I enjoy shopping at their stores. The problem is that I live alone and opening up a good bottle of wine when one typically dines alone is sort of a losing proposition, kinda like those five-pound bags of broccoli florets one gets at Costco.

I am thinking of the wine-of-the-month thing because it would be a fun gift to give three friends, a kind of split-subscription. Then once a month, we'd have a great reason to get together and have a few glasses of a few different wines. Getting wine delivered every month means that my gift goes all year long, which also appeals to me.

I know that individual wineries have their own wines-of-the-month deals, but I'm not as interested in that because I'm looking for a wide variety of wines recommended by someone else. My own wine log is going to get boring if I'm writing about the same vintners every day.

My guess is that the three-case limit is the reason some subscriptions will ship to Hawaii and others won't, but that doesn't make sense for those short-term subscriptions (you can often get them in three- or four-month terms).
          Are you looking for any particular appellations, or just a variety of different wines from all over the place? I know for sure this "aggregate" wine club from the Walla Walla appellation does ship to Hawai'i. The wines from this region are being compared favorably to those from Oregon and California now. Or were you thinking more on the order of international wines? The Walla Walla Wine Club is modeled very similarly after the California Wine Club, which is one of the grand daddies in the industry. You could write to them and find out if they have registered with the State to ship wines to individual consumers in Hawai'i. I bet they are. And they even have a subscription for foreign wines, if those are your preference. I'd probably go that route (the international one) if I was considering joining one of these clubs; the downside is if you find a wine that you really like, replacement bottles might not be available due to the small quantities that are being produced. And I know plastic corks and screw tops that some domestic wineries are now starting to use actually are better for wine preservation, but I still like those natural Portuguese corks on the imported bottles. Plastic corks and screw tops on good wine just seems sooooo wrong, you know?

Miulang
          Last edited by Miulang; July 22, 2007, 04:50 PM.
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Local wine merchants have been very, very helpful, and I enjoy shopping at their stores. The problem is that I live alone and opening up a good bottle of wine when one typically dines alone is sort of a losing proposition, kinda like those five-pound bags of broccoli florets one gets at Costco.[...]
            Scriv...this is a handy-dandy wine preserver. Works great. And, to get more mileage out of it, it works with these canisters to help extend the shelf life of food. I use this system both in town and Makaha. Love it!

Comment

has no aloha.
              Not to step into the snark-fest, but this came up in a conversation today. It seems anymore it's a code phrase meaning "you're not allowed to complain". As in "driving with aloha" - not allowed to complain about other drivers.

Anyway, carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                has no aloha
                It means, "I'm more Hawaiian, and therefore better, than you are."
                Burl Burlingame
                "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

For Scriv and anybody else who's interested in wine and wine clubs, in the mail today I just got some information from HAL about a Hawaiian Wine Club. Looks interesting; you can get from 2-4 bottles of wine approximately monthly for about $12-15/bottle plus shipping PLUS Hawaiian frequent flier miles and you also get recipes and a newsletter. The wines are both domestic and international and you can choose red, white or mixed selections. The company that actually is shipping the wines is based in California, but I guess Hawaiian wanted to get in on the recent wine craze. So you can sip and also earn some Hawaiian miles at the same time.

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

A case of Dr. Pepper that's sweetened with only 100% cane sugar, for example, only costs eight bucks or so, but with UPS shipping to Hawaii, the cost goes through the ceiling. I'm foodie enough to order lots of things this way if I find the ShipToHawaii price cost-efficient; the thing is, I have to do a little more research first to see if it is: How many of these cases of Dr. Pepper plus how many orders of blood-orange olive oil plus how many blocks of New York cheddar would make it worth my while? Or, if the beer-of-the-month club and ship through this service, what's my actual yearly cost going to be?

I am thinking of getting together a group of locals who are interested in placing larger orders of these specialty items and then splitting the cost of shipping; I wonder how ethical that would be. For example, I'd say that in June, I'm placing an order with X company in Sonoma. I post the URL and others who want to jump in send me their money. We ship it here through ShipToHawaii, one of us picks up the entire stash and we split it up.
                    Hey.....where do you get this blood orange olive oil?? I love to cook and I've been looking for something like that, but not sure where to find it! And how good is the Dr. Pepper with cane sugar? It must be super duper good!!! Anything with cane suger instead of processed sugar is so much better..

And I think that creating a group shipping order is a good idea because all of you aren't paying as much, I suppose because it is a larger order, rather than paying X amount for maybe even 3 or 4 cases of your DP, when it could be cheeper for you & everyone else included! I suppose it wouldn't be too unethical?

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      [...]I just signed up based on this discussion. I found an item on Overstock.com that they wouldn't ship to Hawaii...a mattress pad of all things; a special size that, at other sites, is grossly expensive. What's up with that?!!! They've shipped other, bulkier items in the past. Then I stumbled on a couple of other items, one a baker's rack! The shipping for the 4 items, including the piece of furniture, is $2.95 from Overstock to STF in California. God only knows what it's going to be from Cali to Oahu! [...]
                      , indeed. And an expensive lesson.

The baker's rack shipped by weight as I expected. So, no surprises. What I didn't thoroughly understand was "dimensional weight", which is how 2 of the remaining 3 items were shipped.

Altho' an order was placed for 4 items, the 4 were shipped separately. Aside from the baker's rack, I also received a set of sheets, the mattress pad and a replacement to my beloved George Foreman Grill!!!

The latter 2 were each shipped in boxes 2-3 times the size of the merchandise. The bigger size switched the shipping rate from weight to dimensions. OMG! Shipping for these items cost more than the items themselves. I wonder if vendors will be willing or even able to provide box dimensions and weight PRIOR to ordering. Without that info it's not possible to estimate STH charges.

Another issue involves insurance. Since I wasn't aware everything in one order would be sent separately, I chose to insure the *entire* order thru STH. Turned out the insurance applied to only the first item received, in this case, the sheets!!!

The other thing I found disconcerting about STH is it's lack of email notification of shipping charges once known. I found a debit memo online in my checking account for which I had no receipt. I had to contact the bank for information. After that I navigated thru STH's web site and found the charges. It would be nice to have an option to receive an email alert.

So, user beware! I have nobody to blame but myself and I'll probably use STH again but very, very selectively. It worked fine for my sheets as they shipped in an envelope and incurred actual weight charges. The mattress pad is lighter but slightly larger. It was shipped in a very large box. Yikes! Yikes! Yikes!

Comment

Let the STH folks know your concerns. It seems to be a work in progress.
                        Burl Burlingame
                        "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                        honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Working...
                        X