Target coming to Hawai'i?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Target coming to Hawai'i?

I have a few pieces in my wardrobe that I bought through target.com and though I do long for the experience to walk into one of their stores, the website has been a great way for me to get my hands on Isaac Misrxhraxugshie's line. Good tailored stuff, and true to size. And cheap.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos
      At this point in time I have an entire row in my apartment devoted to the stuff--I have somewhere between ten and fifteen different scents! Guess it's time to admit I got a problem...that's the first step, isn't it?
      Haha! I had over 30 bottles of B&BW products before I moved to Hawaii. I threw away/gave away 28 and moved out here with only two bottles of lotion. My collection is growing again, because I discovered the awesome deals you can get on ebay for B&BW stuff. I got brand new lotion, body spray, a candle and bubble bath (Cherry Blossum) for $15+$5 shipping.

Really, we need to petition Limited Brands - they're the parent company of B&BW, Victoria's Secret, Limited, White Barn and Express - to come to Hawaii.

Other stores I would like to see: Anthropologie, The Container Store, Bed, Bath and Beyond

I'll probably get beat down for saying this, but I am so excited that PF Chang's is opening this summer! They have a tofu dish that is in the top of 5 things I've ever tasted.

Comment

Judging from my suitcases full of Trader Joe's stuff, I'd much rather see a Trader Joe's here instead of a Target.
        Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Trader Joe's for me, too. Their always-changing selection of very cool foods tantalizes me. Every time I visit one, I don't know whether I'll be able to find that amazing thing I got the last time I was there.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
            Trader Joe's for me, too. Their always-changing selection of very cool foods tantalizes me. Every time I visit one, I don't know whether I'll be able to find that amazing thing I got the last time I was there.

What was that, a bottle of "two buck chuck"?

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              OK, guys, if Target ever gets a toehold in Hawai'i, you will never want to go back to shopping at WalMart. Not only is the quality of the goods they sell better (and not that much more expensive) but they treat their workers better. I shop at Target but rarely shop at WM (the only time I shop at WM is when I receive a gift card).Miulang
              Oh yeah...I know what you mean. I shop at target cause it's a lot closer and their products are much more appealing to the eyes. The WM that I've checked out here in the NW(Lynnwood, Southcenter, Marysville) are beginning to match KMart: da kine Lepo. Seriously!

Comment

Just as the corporate bigbox chains come here, pave paradise and eradicate all local mom n pop shops, making Hawaii resemble any part of the armpit of America; the L.A. basin,
                just so;
                talk of our favorite local shops and what we get there is supplanted on HT by talk of our burning desires to see another bigbox warehouse multinational corporate chain come here and what can we get there and it's 48 cents cheaper and they may say hello to you a little more than the other big guys and we need more competition and we need and want more junk and products and crap to fill our lives and choices and options on more merchandise like they have on the mainland and we need more restaurants to move here and I want my cheap chain Italian food, and...
                and i 'm spent.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                  Just as the corporate bigbox chains come here, pave paradise and eradicate all local mom n pop shops, making Hawaii resemble any part of the armpit of America; the L.A. basin,
                  [...]
                  I hear ya, Kimo. I really do. And, I appreciate and understand your passionate concern so I'm not looking to change your mind but, rather, state my own feelings. That is...I remember, during the 80s, when the first big box retailer arrived. I, too, was (and still am!) concerned for the mom and pop stores. When Blockbuster arrived my friends who owned a neighborhood video store were eventually forced to close their doors. Then more and more big boxes came to the islands. And more and more mom and pops closed. Afaic, the damage was done in the 80s. It's apparent the big box retailers are here to stay so, imo, we might as well have some choices. It boggles my mind, tho', that a KMart, WalMart and eventually a Target can survive in such a small area. Time will tell, I guess!

I worried about Fisher Hawaii when Office Depot then Office Max opened...and they were all within one block of each other! Fisher is still open and, for my needs, they still have the best prices. But, dang, walking thru that store is like being in Fibber McGee's closet!

As long as the big box retailers continue to arrive my wish list would include a Trader Joe's and an IKEA...before the island sinks under so many giant stores!

One of the many reasons I love living in Makaha is the lack of these retailers. The largest one we have in Waianae is City Mill and they're local. We do have the fast food places unfortunately. The Waianae coast still has the feeling of old Hawaii but I expect that to eventually change since so much real estate is being purchased by mainland investors. We now have the convenience of nearby Kapolei (20 min. drive) to indulge our shopping needs...Kmart, Home Depot and a couple of the mainland chain restaurants...and, of course, Starbucks, Jamba Juice (can't have one without the other!) and anchor stores such as Longs and Safeway.

But, yah, it's a shame what has happened but it's too late to turn back or stem the tide, I'm afraid. Do you have any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                    What was that, a bottle of "two buck chuck"?
                    That "two buck chuck" is good for omiyage -- my neighbors always have me buy it for them. Lately though, I've found that good quality, medium roast, 100% Kona coffee beans are often cheaper at Trader Joe's than they are on the Big Island. Their "Aloha Cookies" (chocolate chips, macadamia nuts, and Kona coffee) are also quite good and the have a wide variety of teas, as well as organic and Kosher foods.

I usually find good stuff in their "Fearless Flyer" publications and their e-mail newsletters:
                    http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless/index.asp
                    http://www.traderjoes.com/signup/index.asp
                    Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

i've either heard/read somewheres that Target has been trying to get into the Hawaii market but cant find a location due to high rental cost (don't know if this is really true or not) but have been wondering why it has taken so long to get a Target out here. also no Bath & Body works shop here yet either, went to Vegas and ask the clerk there if they ever were planning on opening a B&B here and she said no.. oh well... that being said
                      i'd like to see the Olive Garden and Applebees here...those darn commercials i tell ya!

Comment

Originally posted by Tiabla
                        I love me some Olive Garden, too. I never ate there that often when I lived on the mainland, but now that I can't have it I crave soup & salad all the time. What I'd give for some breadsticks and alfredo right now....

Every time I see one of those commercials for Olive Garden, my mouth starts watering! I used to eat the salad & breadsticks way too often, and the sticks with the alfredo sauce? oh my goodness!

Who do we have to talk with to have them open a restaurant here? or maybe if we start collecting $$$$, we would have enough to bribe them?

Fran
                        "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                        – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by CranBeree
                          i've either heard/read somewheres that Target has been trying to get into the Hawaii market but cant find a location due to high rental cost (don't know if this is really true or not)...
                          sort of off-topic, but it reminds me of my favorite Hilo joke: every time land gets cleared, the buzz is "that is where they are gonna build the new Costco".

pax

Comment

If they build a Costco in Hilo, there won't be any reason to go to Kona. If they build an Office Max in Kona, there won't be any reason to go to Hilo. (Well, except for Sears, various medical/dental needs that aren't met in Kona, best priced fresh flowers, tires we can't get in Kona, and Two Ladies Kitchen mochi to bring back to Kona neighbors)....

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
                              Lately though, I've found that good quality, medium roast, 100% Kona coffee beans are often cheaper at Trader Joe's than they are on the Big Island.

a blasphemy of economics! But then, I have never been fond of medium roast anything. I like a good french roasted coffee...even though most of it is probably unfairly traded java. *sigh*

I gotta get my politics in line with my coffee pot.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                                a blasphemy of economics! But then, I have never been fond of medium roast anything. I like a good french roasted coffee...even though most of it is probably unfairly traded java. *sigh*

I gotta get my politics in line with my coffee pot.
                                Have you tried the "NickiBeans" at Costco? Whenever I visit Maui, I go to Costco and pick up several pounds of the stuff. I think it's roasted on Maui and a 3 lb. bag is only about $15. Compare that to the Starbucks stuff (Kona) going for about $24/half lb, it's a steal!

Miulang
                                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X