Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Daiei --> Don Quijote

Thanks, PZ, for the additional links! You posted as I was writing this:

I saw that my former colleague Rick Daysog did a story on it. He wasn't there, BTW, but it was a story easily covered via phone and the news release Kaneohe Ranch issued, from which D'Olier's quotes were seemingly derived. I just really wanted to be there since I was the one that broke the news on the planned fence-cutting.

Plus, being there got me access to the Japan-based CHAIRMAN of Don Quijote, who gave me quotes through his interpreter -- very cool.

I was bummed not to find our photo of the cutting of the fence online ... we had a photog there, too. But our space was really tight for today's paper, so I'm sure that was the issue.

Nevertheless, the Tizer had done a big, seemingly ad-revenue-driven splash in the Friday paper. Interior pics, a Donki sticker on A-1 and SUPER-short "story" on which the byline of another former co-worker, Andrew Gomes appeared (I worked with him at PBN).
    Last edited by Erika Engle; October 7, 2006, 11:41 AM. Reason: update to include thanks to PZ
    I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
      The Holiday Mart bumper stickers were almost as popular as the K59 ones back in the early-mid 80's.
      I think when they first came out they'd give you a discount if you had one.

Comment

Originally posted by lilin View Post
        Did all the Holiday Marts have gas stations? Does anyone have photos?
        The bumper sticker was 3 hibiscus flowers - for the 3 stations. Kailua had, but I never visited the others.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy View Post
          Leo Lakio mentioned the dollar section of the Kailua Daiei. I've shopped in that section many times...I can't say I was ever really excited about what was offered in there, but it was neat to snoop around in.
          I poked around from time to time to relieve boredom. Can't say it was all that great. Gotta tell ya, nothing beats a 100 Yen store in Japan. Couldn't keep me out of one. (100 Yen + tax, about $1 US.) Those stores make anything over here look 2nd rate. Should have scooped more of those USB extension cables when I had a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
            Gotta tell ya, nothing beats a 100 Yen store in Japan. Couldn't keep me out of one. (100 Yen + tax, about $1 US.) Those stores make anything over here look 2nd rate.
            Yes! We did as much shopping in those (and Tokyu Hands) as we did just about anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              Tokyu Hands
              Yeah, visited there too. Even went to the grand 100 Yen store. I forget where. Really hard to find. Walk by it a few times. 2-3 floors. I'd say about the floor space of the local Daiei. All 100 Yen. What a trip!

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                They finally lost the Daiei logo on their print ad. Man, there are some deals in there! A 1 gig SD card for just $20 (no rebate)!
                thanks again for the tip pomai picked up two cards last night; excellent deal!
                525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I finally paid a visit to the Kaheka store. Initial impression? Indeed a Treasure Hunt. I didn't read anything on how many skus were added to their inventory count, but it looks to be at least a 25% increase over Daiei.

As you enter, you'll quickly take notice to their stack-to-the-ceiling, crammed merchandising approach. Some may be taken aback, but we (my girlfriend and I) really dig it! We spent almost 2-1/2 hours last night, with common words being, "Wow, check this out!" to "This is kinda' neat" to "What the heck is this?"

Department-wise, as noted previously, the $dollar section at the front right area is gone; in its place GARDEN & PETS, STATIONERY & DECOR items.

The ELECTRONICS department - previously adjacent to the area above - is now about halfway up main entrance power aisle on the left, taking up a small portion of the center of the store. I thought it could have been much bigger than they allocated, but that's just me thinkin' like a typical guy (gadget man). The couch in front of the TV displays is kinda' cool, but I don't think necessary for this type of store.

In fact, as far as selection, several departments or specific product categories looked like they got smaller.

In keeping with their primary demographic (women), beauty care and other related items have replaced the "tourist" stuff in the main front aisles, just after the seasonal stack-ups (and there are ALOT of stuff here!) as you enter.

Other than a few other switch-ups, most everything else is generally where it used to be as Daiei. It seems they barely changed anything in the main grocery section towards the back area. The produce section looks MUCH cleaner, in part due to the new paint and "wall paper job" they did on the walls and aging refrigerated vegetable stands.

Some areas looked like the floors were retiled and/or they hired a good professional floor cleaner.

Especially nice is the adddition of price scanners, although I didn't take notice to how many there were throughout. Point-of-Sale signage is easy to read; some of it hand-written, but mostly color-laser printed. I didn't notice anyting that wasn't clearly priced; something that can be very annoying. One can't go through there without running into a Donpen Stuffed Mascot (they sell them) or being reminded to be "HAPPY!". lol

Plastic flower vines "grow" everywhere, including the outside vendor area.

The food vendors in front haven't changed. Yummy's Korean BBQ on the right. KFC on the left, on down to several other kiosks and restaurants that have been there for some time.

The Daiei Shopping Carts and hand baskets are plastered over with Don Quijote stickers.

Checkouts were fully staffed around the 7pm hour were there and running smooth. Parking, as usual had us parking in the lot across the street on the top floor; the bottom parking level being partially-filled with pallets of backstock merchandise. I hope this isn't going to be a permanent place for that.

The pictures everyone provided here are great (thanks!), but you can't fathom the changes until you go in and see it for yourself.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

did you notice the security camera placed directly over each cashier? i never noticed it before but it's certainly visible now!
                    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice View Post
                      did you notice the security camera placed directly over each cashier? i never noticed it before but it's certainly visible now!
                      Oh, so that's why they installed those "grass hut" decorations over each register. Never noticed the cameras. Then again, I'm usually not looking up while in there. Mostly side-to-side at all the beautiful Nihongins. lol

Speaking of camera, I did remember PZ mentioning AFTER-THE-FACT the sign in front about "No Picture Taking without prior consent". Therefore I tucked my trusty Canon in its pouch and left it at that.

Mel and PZ's shots pretty much covered it.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I finally ventured in there last night.

A few thoughts:

> Those vine things all over the place, especially the outside, are going to be pretty disgusting in a few months (covered in dust and crap). Looks good now, but I hope they plan on replacing them every-so-often.

> The vibe to the place reminded me of stores in Japan. Stuff everywhere, floor to ceiling, music blaring from little stereos stashed everywhere... general hubub.

> Found some rather odd things for sale, including something called a "pee boy" (shoumben kozou). It's this weird plastic replica of some statue in Belgium depicting a little boy urinating. For some reason this statue is wildly popular in Japan. Anywho, You fill up the tank with your favorite beverage and press a button, and voila! The kid "pees" your drink through a little metal penis!

> The food, for the most part was pretty much the same. The vegetable displays seemed neater. The liquor selection is also unchanged for the most part.

> They gotta do something about the proximity of the registers to the product aisles. It's total gridlock most of the time. They also need more cashiers/baggers. I have yet to see that place (aside from the wee hours of the night) without hellish lines. There were a bunch of what appeared to be managers/stockpeople just standing around near the courtesy counter enjoying the mahem. I bagged my own groceries (which I usually do anyway - but most people just stand and stare at the cashier who has to do it - are they that lazy?)

> The outdoor eating area seemed cleaner and more well-lit (although that could have something to do with the vine crap everywhere).

I try to avoid that store for the most part just because it's a madhouse all the time. I'll force my way in when I need something not carried elsewhere, but that's not too often. I almost always come out of there tired and pissed off.

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
                          It's this weird plastic replica of some statue in Belgium depicting a little boy urinating. For some reason this statue is wildly popular in Japan. Anywho, You fill up the tank with your favorite beverage and press a button, and voila! The kid "pees" your drink through a little metal penis!
                          We had one of those in my (half Japanese) house when I was growing up. Wildly popular is right.

I try to avoid that store for the most part just because it's a madhouse all the time. I'll force my way in when I need something not carried elsewhere, but that's not too often. I almost always come out of there tired and pissed off.
                          I totally understand this feeling, but it's for that reason that I find myself pulled in that direction every so often. I make monthly stops at Hakubundo in the Pan-Am building, so I make sure to spend some time at Daiei and then to grab food at my second-favorite casual dining place: Tae's Teppan-Yaki, across the new Palama Market. The endless parade of fascinating people is what draws me there; I like sitting in that awful eating area and just watching people go by. Fascinating.

Does anyone know if it's still open 24 hours?
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Well, I visited. You've heard of "shop till you drop"? How about "shop until your head hurts". Because that's what it's like. Yes, it does remind me of some of my shopping in Japan. It's interesting to try on occasion, but I'm not sure as it's something I'd do on a weekly basis. The place seem to border on the claustrophobic. Part of me wonders how long it will take before Don Quijote gets a lesson in "ADA compliance". Given the narrow isles, it's got to be murder for wheel chair users.

Fortunately the grocery part has a familiar layout, so I guess I'll continue to do my grocery runs there. But I'm not to sure about the rest of it. I did see the pet department has made a comeback. I think housewares has had a good make over. They looked abandoned before.

I think the price scanners have always been there. Did I miss something?

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                              The place seem to border on the claustrophobic. Part of me wonders how long it will take before Don Quijote gets a lesson in "ADA compliance". Given the narrow isles, it's got to be murder for wheel chair users.
                              Hell, it's murder for everyday shoppers! The cluttered layout was a novelty, but certainly not exactly convenient. Now that you mention it, when I brought my wife and kids to Donki over the weekend, we basically got trapped in the housewares department, as each aisle was barely wide enough to accomodate oneshopper and cart... and all the aisles had a shopper in them blocking the way. We just looked at rice cookers while we waited for an opening, but that could certainly ruin a spontaneous, actually-need-to-buy-something shopping trip.

Comment

Since I live close by, Don Quijote (and Daie, Holiday Mart before it) remains on my frequent visit list even in this new configuration. Their biggest strength is the food selection in the grocery, Asian, produce, meat, seafood and deli departments... which means I will continue shopping there regularly.

Yes, the aisles are narrower and there is a lot of stuff to look at in the different departments. I think shopping is kind of fun there because of some of the novelty things they got for sale now, like the squirting penis thing someone mentioned previously (I haven't seen it).... And some of their sale prices remain very good. Last week they had an 1 gig SD card for sale @ $19.... this week that card is still on sale, but they also put a 1 GB thumb drive on sale for the same price, which I snapped up.

As for the video cameras on top of each cashier station. Those were installed about 3 weeks ago.

I don't know if more pricing scanners have been added, but Daiei had at least 2 of them at each end of the store for about 10 years now.
                                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X