Daiei --> Don Quijote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Daiei --> Don Quijote

Speaking of novelty things, have you seen their lights? "Interesting".

As for the scanners, the ones I'm thinking of are wireless. I doubt if they are 10 years old, but must be at least a year old. I know of 3 and think there are/were 4. The main isles in the store form a square. You can find one near each corner of the square. The only one I'm not sure about is the one that would be the closest to the main door. The others I know were there long before Daiei was sold.

Comment

Originally posted by Erika Engle View Post
      I was bummed not to find our photo of the cutting of the fence online ... we had a photog there, too. But our space was really tight for today's paper, so I'm sure that was the issue.
      I live in Kailua and am VERY happy to hear about the fence cutting. It's be nice to shop at both places without having to drive all the way around the block to get to the other side of that dang fence.

Comment

Mel, good thing you snapped those photos when you did! Looks like the cluttered, jungle decor of Don Quijote has run into a few problems with that pesky fire code.

Don Quijote decor called fire hazard
        The store was cited because officials could not produce documentation to show the abundant plastic flower and vine decorations were "flame treated," Capt. Rick Muramoto of HFD's Fire Prevention Bureau said yesterday. Because of that, the decorations were removed, he said... Regarding exits, he said the required signs "are there," but fire inspectors found that some signs were obstructed by decorations. "We told them that (the signs) had to be visible," he said, adding that Don Quijote was in the process of installing additional signs.

Comment

Originally posted by 808shooter View Post
          I live in Kailua and am VERY happy to hear about the fence cutting. It's be nice to shop at both places without having to drive all the way around the block to get to the other side of that dang fence.

Yes! This is really cool. My mother lives in Kailua and I'm the shopping (how the heck do you spell the french sounding...) driver. I like it.
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by starbulletin.com
            Don Quijote decor called fire hazard

Because of that, the decorations were removed,
            I went to Don Quijote earlier this evening. Most of the decor is still as is. The plastic vines that were lining the ceiling tops near the frozen Asian food and eggs area are gone. The front entrence still have the plastic vines and many are still hanging from the ceiling and lining the shelves. Haven't noticed the "exit" signs alluded to in the article... but then I never look for them as most people know the only entrance in and out of the place is the main entrance.

I guess in an emergency situation where the store has to be quickly emptied people need to know where the alternate exits are. I know there is one at the back near the dairy products section that goes out into the wharehouse area and to the street.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I went to Daiei Pearl City today and got "insulted." The cashier asked me if I had my ID as it was senior citizens' discount day. Do I really look like I'm 60+? I just had my "beautification" this past Friday - hair cut, color, etc.

First, my doctor has me classified as a GERIATRIC patient! Now, this .........

Comment

the bottom line, Daiei was dirtier, but cheaper! I was unfortunately at the Grand opening at Kaheka St. Don Q. To me most everything was a bit more pricey there, go figure?

Comment

Originally posted by Beachboy View Post
                  the bottom line, Daiei was dirtier, but cheaper!
                  In general, that's my impression too. Also, there's alot more skus, but at the expense of selection in a specific category.

Then...

and now...

I was rather disappointed with the boring design of Don Quijote’s lightbox sign in front. They should’ve incorporated the whimsical font with Donpen used on their print ads and shopping carts like this…

They used the same Daiei orange-colored shopping carts, simply plastering DQ stickers over the old logo.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                    I went to Don Quijote earlier this evening. Most of the decor is still as is. The plastic vines that were lining the ceiling tops near the frozen Asian food and eggs area are gone. The front entrence still have the plastic vines and many are still hanging from the ceiling and lining the shelves.
                    It might have taken them time to comply. Looks different now. No vines in the entrance. Looks more open and less claustrophobic.

Comment

Yep, I went the day the article appeared. Now all of the vinery are mostly gone from the ceilings. They're only on the shelving. Plus the hula skirt like hangings near the check out registers are gone too.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Update on the fire hazard removal: The removal of the vines and some of the signage was slowly phased in over the few weeks after the store received their warning. Now all of the green plastic vinery have been removed from the ceilings, the outdoor entrance and the shelving.

Here is the latest on this in an article by Robbie Dingeman at the Honolulu Advertiser:

Quijote is taking care of citation

Q. Does the new Don Quijote store on Kaheka Street meet fire and safety codes? The poster- and vine-laden ceilings conceal sprinkler heads in some areas. Utter clutter in the central part of the store creates narrow, zigzag pathways, and only one three-door public entrance and exit makes me wonder if the store is up to code.

A. Don Quijote trimmed back the vine-laden greenery at Kaheka after the Fire Department inspected the store on Oct. 12 after receiving several complaints like yours. Fire Capt. Rick Muramoto said a notice of violation was issued and the store was given two weeks to comply.

No one from Don Quijote management responded to requests to comment. But Muramoto said the store managers were very good about complying.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                          Fire Capt. Rick Muramoto said a notice of violation was issued and the store was given two weeks to comply.
                          I suspect they used most of those two weeks in waiting - I think the idea being to set a "theme" in shoppers minds.

Comment

Don Who? gezz I still call it HOLIDAY MART!! LOL

KaYa T.
                            sigpic

Comment

I don't know about you, but when I was at Daiei yesterday, I never heard one person say "Don Quijote" - always Daiei. I think because its easier to say.
                              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

well, I'm not that old...but I remember when I was about 5 or 6 it was Holiday mart.... then it turned to Daiei and no one new how the pronounce Daiei forget about trying to spell it....shoot now its Don Peyote or what ever...Quioto..Quijiote...oh boy forget it..

KaYa T.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X