This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wal-Mart on Keeaumoku

It is not like they built over an existing cemetary. Right now I have no idea if the bones are ancient Hawaiian, someone from the 1800's or the remains of a missing person from the 70's or 80's.

And no one knew that it was there to being with.

And while the company doing the construction was late in reporting the find, they did report it.

Comment

"As far as the treatment of bones is concerned; The apathy foreigners have toward their ancestors is not universal."

It's quite possibly more "universal" for humans to do the sensible thing and burn the bodies (and the bones) rather than digging holes for the remains.

Comment

Right on Kimo55! I never knew the details of what happens when they find remains on a work site but they should be treated with respect. And Wal-Mart my daughter on the mainland pointed out their work ethic (lack of) and their low wages etc.
        People will flock to the giant stores with their bargains I personally will not support an establishment that doesn't pay fair wages or give WOMEN fair opportunites.
        Retired Senior Member

Comment

There is no need to turn this thing into a political football. It is nearly completed, and once built people will flock in droves to reap the kinds of bargains that are not available in urban Honolulu. It is a great thing to have Walmart and Sam's Club right here in my neighborhood.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Albert
            "As far as the treatment of bones is concerned; The apathy foreigners have toward their ancestors is not universal."

It's quite possibly more "universal" for humans to do the sensible thing and burn the bodies (and the bones) rather than digging holes for the remains.
            I favor the Tibetan practice of sky burial myself, at least in theory. It conserves land and resources, and benefits the birds who eat the flesh. Too 'in your face' for the Judeo-Christian West, though...

Comment

"I favor the Tibetan practice of sky burial myself, at least in theory."

I agree, although I'm not sure we have the right kinds of birds here to make it practical for Hawaii. The ones we have certainly eat flesh, but they tend to hang out in the low-lying areas of the islands. We certainly don't want corpses lined up on Ala Moana Beach Park waiting for the mynahs and zebra doves to finish their dinner.

For Hawaii, I think cremation makes much more sense, scatter the ashes in the ocean. That's the way I'd like to be dealt with, preferably dump the ashes off Waikiki and then everyone have a drink on me at Duke's.
              Last edited by Albert; August 17, 2004, 10:37 AM.

Comment

For Hawaii, I think cremation makes much more sense, scatter the ashes in the ocean. That's they way I'd like to be dealt with, preferably dump the ashes off Waikiki and then everyone have a drink on me at Duke's.

Or literally have a drink on you if they toast while on their boards on da surf!

cremation. That's my choice. the taking up of valuable real estate after you have kicked the bucket doesn't make sense!
                I will be scattered in tahiti....

Comment

There's some company that for a price will blast your ashes in a rocketship into orbit.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                    There's some company that for a price will blast your ashes in a rocketship into orbit.

I believe my brother will do that for free;
                    but it will prolly be; stuff my ashes in a big pipe and light the bottom with a roman candle and some cherry bombs, send my burned ass into the sky over lanikai.

wait; nope; he wont do that for free; he'd need a case of heineken.

Comment

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../bz/bz02a.html

Looks like there's no shortage of people wanting to work at the place.

Comment

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../bz/bz02a.html

Looks like there's no shortage of people wanting to work at the place.

little do the poor souls know...

http://www.thymewise.net/blog/archives/000879.html

http://www.dailyaztec.com/Archive/Fa...opinion02.html

http://www.hoosiergazette.com/News/news016.htm

Comment

Thanks again for the links Kimo...you're probably in the minority (as I) but keep reminding people that the mega stores are NOT all what they pretend to be!
                          Retired Senior Member

Comment

Originally posted by Mocha
                            Thanks again for the links Kimo...you're probably in the minority (as I) but keep reminding people that the mega stores are NOT all what they pretend to be!

and not at all what the city&county and state sucker themselves into thinking the bigboxsters are...

too many horror stories to relate. i have been on the forefront of a few major anti redevelopment campaigns, esp. where the walmarts of the world and their ilk buffalo their way into a town. Doing any amount of due diligence/research will result in the exposure of too many negatives to justify a bigbox to enter a town. Yet many polititians, C&C and state Oaf-fish uls allow these carpetbaggers to come to town.

myopic. pathetic. sad.

Comment

What is even more shocking is 4,500 people applied for 1,300 positions
                              at the Sams Club/ Wal-Mart Super Center
                              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
                                What is even more shocking is 4,500 people applied for 1,300 positions
                                at the Sams Club/ Wal-Mart Super Center

ok, I'll bite;
                                why would that shock?

Comment

Working...
                                X