• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wal-Mart on Keeaumoku

Originally posted by kimo55
    ok, I'll bite;
    why would that shock?
    Because the unemployment rate in HNL is so low and
    getting a job at Wal-Mart doesn't really lead anywhere.
    The managerial positions have been already filled according
    to the Advertiser.
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
      Because the unemployment rate in HNL is so low and
      getting a job at Wal-Mart doesn't really lead anywhere.
      The managerial positions have been already filled according
      to the Advertiser.
      yea, that's weird...
      how you figgah!?

Comment

Originally posted by Albert
        "I favor the Tibetan practice of sky burial myself, at least in theory."

I agree, although I'm not sure we have the right kinds of birds here to make it practical for Hawaii. The ones we have certainly eat flesh, but they tend to hang out in the low-lying areas of the islands. We certainly don't want corpses lined up on Ala Moana Beach Park waiting for the mynahs and zebra doves to finish their dinner.

For Hawaii, I think cremation makes much more sense, scatter the ashes in the ocean. That's the way I'd like to be dealt with, preferably dump the ashes off Waikiki and then everyone have a drink on me at Duke's.
        I agree, no vultures in Hawai'i so mo' bettah burn 'em. I'm giggling thinking of Ala Moana Beach Park turned into a charnel ground(I have a sick sense of humor)... In Tibet the climate is much dryer and colder too so sky burial makes sense there.

Interesting, my stepfather passed away in '98 and I had moved to NYC before his ashes were scattered off Haleiwa(at the time my mom said they were scattered 'somewhere on the North Shore', but I didn't know where). I went there with my mom a couple of years ago, walked down the beach away from my mom, noticed the nice white coral stones and thought I'd make a little Nepali-style stupa out of them(something that is done to house ashes or to mark a sacred spot). So I sat down, built it, and invited my mom to check out my handiwork. She told me to look straight out into the water where there was a red buoy, and said that was where my stepfather's ashes were scattered.

Chicken skin yeah?

Comment

"getting a job at Wal-Mart doesn't really lead anywhere"

Probably beats McD's ...

Comment

Originally posted by Albert
            "getting a job at Wal-Mart doesn't really lead anywhere"

Probably beats McD's ...
            ANYTHING beats McD's. I should know, it was my first job...

Comment

Originally posted by AuntieNellieKulolo
              ... She told me to look straight out into the water where there was a red buoy, and said that was where my stepfather's ashes were scattered.

Chicken skin yeah?

cool.
              there are no coincidences....

Comment

And to bring the topic back to focus... Walmart Keeaumoku is slated for a mid October opening with Sam's Club opening a week later. Folks, we're down to a few weeks before everyone in urban Honolulu can take advantage of the bargains these stores will have to offer. Guaranteed to attract a large, large crowd of shoppers.

So, once Walmart/Sam's Club opens, what would be on your first shopping list? What kind of items will you shop for at these 2 stores that make them a better bargain than they would be at other stores nearby?
                Last edited by mel; August 20, 2004, 07:02 AM. Reason: adding link to Star Bulletin story
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                  And to bring the topic back to focus... Walmart Keeaumoku is slated for a mid October opening with Sam's Club opening a week later. Folks, we're down to a few weeks before everyone in urban Honolulu can take advantage of the bargains these stores will have to offer. Guaranteed to attract a large, large crowd of shoppers.

So, once Walmart/Sam's Club opens, what would be on your first shopping list? What kind of items will you shop for at these 2 stores that make them a better bargain than they would be at other stores nearby?

Heck with that; here's MY plan:

I will peruse the harsh Flourescent tube-illuminated aisles of these large halls of the temple of consumerism, dedicated to the god of supersizemesavings and the spending of the GodAlmighty Dollar, to experience that divine miracle they teach in these hallowed halls; "I am saving WHILE I am spending! Amazing huh!?"... and scan the prices, noticing their exact percentage reduction in price on cheaper Taiwan ROC and Mexico made sweatshop origin copies of products I see at other stores that have been here for decades.... I will make note of the overall costs of what I may need for my daily life, and also make a list of allllll the crap I can buy there that I actually DON"T need, and possibly follow the path of the lemmings and think of buying it to artificially fill my life with fake consumer happiness and fulfillment. I would have to refrain from experiencing looking forward to the joy and happiness of visiting this beautiful chapel of cheap to return here soon, to replace the wonderful products that filled my daily life with joy, as these products, sadly, too soon departed this life, having fell apart or perhaps wore out too quickly; I'd say about double the amount of time based on the amount of savings I made...
                  This visit, I will not really buy anything. No, not this time. because I KNOW I can get alll this stuff even cheaper! I will wait til the NEXT Bigbox store opens, (hope it's reeeeaaaalllll sooon!) In possibly the last empty lowlying space here in Honolulu, Hope they do it quick! I really want bargains! So I won't mind at all if they condemn and eminent domain a good number of one story older buldings and a few mom-and-pop shops. No, I believe firmly that I need more of a choice and I want even lower prices than Walmart and Sam's Club. I hear they have this choice on the mainland, and darn it, I'm an American and I want this place LOOKING like America!

It is my right, my prerogative, nay, even my responsibility as a proud myopic nonthinking member of our wasteful consumeristically based religion and society to support and even campaign for the inclusion here in our town, solely for OUR benefit, of EVERY brand of competitive retailer, regardless of any other consideration.

Yes, you heard right; it may even be my religion; based on the satisfaction, inner comfort, bliss, joy, protection and fulfillment I feel that I receive when I know deep down, I am properly performing the rituals they teach the masses: I am buying stuff. Then, one third of each product, (the outer layer) immediately is relegated to the landfill. Yes, I am at one with our new god; I am filling my space with these material goods and supporting these stores, and all they mean to society, because they are here for one thing; to supply me with Bar Gains. I will shop on Sunday and every other day. It is a religious experience after all, I love communing and swarming with the faithful flock and I don't care how much they compare us to blind sheep following the leader off the cliff. I am in my comfort zone and nobody will take that away from me! Because after all, that's the only thing that matters anymore. My wants and my needs; ME!
                  Won't you join the flock? C'mon, it's painless! Just shut your mind and open your wallet!
                  Last edited by kimo55; August 20, 2004, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                    And to bring the topic back to focus... Walmart Keeaumoku is slated for a [URL=http://starbulletin.com/2004/08/20/business/story1.html]

from that linked story:

I dont understand:

"walmart is pleased to offer customers shops that reflect flowers of hawaii" ?!

...also,
                    What kind of diverse local shops will this attract at the highest retail lease rate ever seen?!

"With the Shops on Keeaumoku, Wal-Mart is pleased to offer customers a diverse mix of tenants -- businesses that reflect some of the local flowers of Hawaii," Lin said, adding that store openings are slated to coincide with the opening of Wal-Mart.

Rent on the 500- to 750-square-foot retail spaces in the Shops on Keeaumoku will be at a premium, said Jon-Eric Greene, leasing agent for Wal-Mart. Other rentals in the neighborhood retail for around $2.50 to $3.50 per square foot, but shop spaces anchored by a Wal-Mart typically will fetch 30 to 50 percent higher rents than the highest market rates, Greene said.
                    Last edited by kimo55; August 20, 2004, 09:50 AM.

Comment

To each his/her own. The majority of consumers will hail the arrival of Walmart/Sam's Club with non-stop traffic and open wallets. All hail to American capitalism!
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                        To each his/her own. The majority of consumers will hail the arrival of Walmart/Sam's Club with non-stop traffic and open wallets. All hail to American capitalism!

yes... hail, and rain to american capitolism!

Comment

Walmart is one of capitalism's great success stories! Hooray for Walmart.
                          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel

I call Wal-Mart guerrilla capitalism.It seems they want to submarine the small business person.On top of it the low
                            prices are the result of importing from 3rd world countries.
                            Even though I shop there and bought the new computer
                            I'm using at Wal-Mart, I really despise Wal-Mart frankly.
                            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
                              I call Wal-Mart guerrilla capitalism.It seems they want to submarine the small business person.
                              that would make them King Kong capitalism.
                              Where does King Kong sit?! AAAANNNNNYYYYY where he wants to.
                              Where does wal-mart sit? They come and settle into ANY town they want. lay waste, and no one can do a darn t'ing aboudit!

http://www.stormfront.org/archive/t-...and_Towns.html

http://www.americasdebate.com/forums...pic=5559&st=45

http://freewebz.com/wallmartsucks

http://www.larouchepub.com/other/200...mart_iowa.html

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takea...093062158&sign[partnerID]=1&sign[memberID]=651688017&sign[partner_userID]=651688017

http://www.ncounty.net/users/claytons/walmart2.html

http://goldismoney.info/forums/archi...hp/t-5184.html

Comment

It is ironic that people who hate Walmart will still shop there. To me if you hate something you keep away from it at all costs. For me something like cigarrette smoke is something I keep away from. I hate it. I keep away from it.

Ever shopped at Ross? Buy Nike? Go to boutique shops to buy the latest fashions? Do you purchase electronics? Computers? A lot of these consumer goods are produced in third world countries under so called slave labor conditons. Some products we know of and something has been done. But I bet a lot of other products we don't know about, and frankly a lot of people don't care if they perceive getting a bargain for an item. Often times it doesn't matter where you buy it.

No business is perfect. Consumers will support those businesses that will stretch their limited dollars the furthest while providing consumers with the best products or services.

As for small businesses, the innovative ones will learn to adapt to marketplace conditions and adjust accordingly. Happens all the time in a capitalistic society. Sure there will be casualties along the way, but that is the way life is.
                                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X