Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blue Jellyfish in the Ala Wai

Was this the offending slime?

manoasurfer123, that was a cool movie you made, but next time, panning the camera so we can see, even for a couple of seconds, where you were when you saw it, would have added some much welcomed context to your motion picture.

I'm sorry if I sound like a high school photography teacher :P
    Last edited by Vanguard; July 9, 2006, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard
      Was this the offending slime?

manoasurfer123, that was a cool movie you made, but next time, panning the camera so we can see, even for a couple of seconds, where you were when you saw it, would have added some much welcomed context to your motion picture.

I'm sorry if I sound like a high school photography teacher :P
      Did you see the second video on the Blue Jellyfish?

That one I did have a brief pan... and an eye witness!

Comment

Ah this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5joRyeGKyc

Thanks I must have been skimmed too fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanguard
          Ah this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5joRyeGKyc

Thanks I must have been skimmed too fast.
          nope... not talking about that one...

Talking about this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc2WjQnVNzc

(If you want to see where I was at... ie; your panning comment. If you live in Hawaii... you know the site... Especially now that it has a black snake going down the middlle. Also on my original youtube comment about the picture... i specifically stated where I was.

Comment

Originally posted by nachodaddy
            .........in unrelated news, a major hotel chain in the Waikiki area has just announced that switching to blue toilet paper two weeks ago has save 10% on their sewer costs.
            LOL!

For added marketing appeal, each sheet has a new Sudoku puzzle, and the blue coloring is made of '2000 Flushes' toilet bowl cleaner for that "no ring" Ala Wai Canal look at low tide.

Manoa's blue Jellyfish is really an experiment gone bad when they were testing out this new toilet paper.
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Looks like my Blue Jellyfish has called in the troops!

“Oh yeah brah, hundreds in the lagoon area,” said Waikiki Beach Boy Boya Fulkerson. “We get bad ones (jellyfish invasions) every year, this one is the worst of the summer.”
              http://starbulletin.com/breaking/breaking.php?id=4681

Comment

Hey MS123, if you're near a radio today, All Things Considered is doing a story about jellyfish in coastal waters near South Africa. You can hear the story on KHPR 88.1 in the 4 pm hour. If you go to the ATC website there should be an audio link, but as of yet, it isn't posted. There's even a Q&A section called Whats Good About a Jelly. Chad Widmer, a senior aquarist at the Monterrey Bay Aquarium in California says there are over 30,000 species. Maybe you could send him the links and ask about your blue jellyfish.
                Last edited by lilin; July 21, 2006, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Then there's Jellyfish Lake in Palau. A completely land-locked saltwater lake where, as a result, the jellyfish have evolved as "stingless".
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Backfire possiblility? Ala Wai Problem with New Sewer line!

I just did my walk down the ala wai.

The Mauka side the Ala Wai is litterally about 1' over the enbankments at spots...(pictures coming in my next post)

Also, the water is now creeping dangerously close to the Light Fixtures that Light up the Ala Wai Field!

It hasn't even rained recently... I'm thinking that since they dropped the big sewer line down the middle of the Ala Wai... The canal can no longer hold the capacity of water that it's suppose too and there for there is going to be some major Ala Wai Flooding with the next big rain.

A direct result of this sewer line being dropped down.

Comment

Re: Backfire possiblility? Ala Wai Problem with New Sewer line!

Heres some pictures of what I was talking about as well as a youtube video of the possible scenario!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoMBFmkBsGI

Comment

It's a very high tide +2.5 at about 2 pm

Fun to watch the ocean slowly rising every year isn't it? I saw the docks at Honokohau Harbor 15 inches under water last year. You tie up your boat to a cleat that is submerged.

Imagine 20 years from now when the ocean is about 1-2 feet higher.
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com
                        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I've lived at this place since 1999.

I've seen the Ala Wai when it's had 2.5 Feet High Tides before and this was before the dredging...the water only barely got to the top...I've also seen it after days and days of rain...and it still has never looked this full.

Now the Ala Wai was dredged less than 2 years ago... however they have dropped this huge thing in the canal and the water has to go someplace.

Simple Water Displacement theory... you have a bathtub that is already full and you jump in...doh

Heck.. I've lived here longer than the blue jellyfish!

Comment

Re: The Ala Wai

dredging the bottom, or placing an enormous pipe at the bottom has nothing to do whatsoever with the water level..its an open flow system connected to the ocean.....its simply tidal

global warming is not as controversial today as it was 10 years ago

but nobody is denying that sea level is rising....the rate of rise is about 1/5 inch per year...thats 1 inch every 5 years...but in 20 years, the rate is predicted to be 1/2 inch per year....thats 1 inch every two years

how high the water mama?
                            Last edited by timkona; July 22, 2006, 05:04 PM. Reason: added a little
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com
                            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I used to live on Paoakalani, and knew the Ala Wai well (or, at least, the daily ritual of hunting for parking along it and surrounding streets). I've seen it that high before, washing into the grass and the like. Nothing to get excited about at all. Though your on-the-spot reporting never fails to amuse!

And that pipe they sunk as an emergency bypass? I'm pretty sure they filled it with water from the canal to get it to sink. If it was displacing canal water at all, it would've done it last week.

Comment

Ok pz if you say so...

But we will see the next time there is a combination of a high tide as well as a lot of rain...over a few days.

If/When the Ala Wai does spill over into Waikiki and the bottom floors of all the hotels become unuseable... then maybe they will look back and ask... why did the Ala Wai Flood this time?

I should have taken a few more pictures

Comment

Working...
                                X