Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Counterfeit - My worst nightmare

Doc -

This is the second and third time now you have been taken... please be careful!

Don't even think about paying it back... as you were thinking earlier of finding a new career...maybe this is God's way of telling you yes, you do need to find a different career.

Keep your head high and just curious? Does your place have "Telecheck"?
    If "telecheck" approved the check...then "telecheck" will have to re-imburse your store.

Also,

If you checked their ID's against the check then at least you know who they are and your business can take them to court for the losses.

Comment

It's always possible that the first guy got the bills from someone else and thought they were real. Not saying that's the case, but it's possible. Doesn't really make it any easier on you, I know.

It sounds like your boss really needs to have some training on how to handle the register. Maybe he could even use a little himself. I'd ask him to go over the procedures with you to prevent these things from happening as much as possible. As others said above, you should have at least checked the ID of the person writing the check and got a DL#.

This kind of stuff is going to happen any time you work a register anywhere. Don't take it personally, and don't think it's your fault. As long as your learning from the mistakes and trying to prevent them from happening again, it sounds like you're doing both, you'll be fine.

Fool me once and all....

I hope you catch the guys.

brianca...

The only advice I'd disagree with in the thread is calling 911. Calling the police and filing a report is very important, but this isn't a place for 911. Especially a day after it happened.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
        Doc -

This is the second and third time now you have been taken... please be careful!

Don't even think about paying it back... as you were thinking earlier of finding a new career...maybe this is God's way of telling you yes, you do need to find a different career.

Keep your head high and just curious? Does your place have "Telecheck"?
        If "telecheck" approved the check...then "telecheck" will have to re-imburse your store.

Also,

If you checked their ID's against the check then at least you know who they are and your business can take them to court for the losses.
        The business is just starting, so we have no register, no security, nothing. And honestly, I checked his name and address on his license against what he wrote down, and they matched, so I didn't really know what else to check/write down at the time. My boss told me to write the drivers license down next time, so atleast I'm getting things one by one.

Originally posted by brianca View Post
        It sounds like your boss really needs to have some training on how to handle the register. Maybe he could even use a little himself. I'd ask him to go over the procedures with you to prevent these things from happening as much as possible. As others said above, you should have at least checked the ID of the person writing the check and got a DL#.
        Like I mentoned, what register? I thought that this job will be just fixing computers and sell small computer stuff while accepting cash. I'm just lucky that we don't accept credit cards.

Originally posted by brianca View Post
        The only advice I'd disagree with in the thread is calling 911. Calling the police and filing a report is very important, but this isn't a place for 911. Especially a day after it happened.
        That's why I'll walk to the sub station, and I'll probably get grilled on why I didn't call ASAP again (hopefully its not the same officer).

But is there anyone who can atleast give me a lecture on working with money correctly?
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Adrian, checks bounce all the time. And there's no way for you to know at the register if the check is good (or even if the account exists), unless your business invests in a check validation or direct EFT conversion system. If your boss doesn't like bounced checks, he can either decide not to accept them (and many businesses do just that), or he can invest in better check processing equipment... but from what you're saying the latter is quite unlikely.

I just what repeat what has been said several times before. You do not bear liability for this or the previous loss, and should never offer (or expect) to pay for them out of your own paycheck. If your boss suggests this, or accepts your misguided offer to do so, there's a major problem here.

Comment

Find a new job. If you feel so bad about the job, maybe its time to find one that doesnt involve cash handling. A register is like $150 at costco. If your boss cant afford a basic business thing like a cash register... I dunno. When I had a business I had a sign posted - "sorry, we do not accept checks" of course I accepted debit and credit cards tho. vericheck cost too much and were not guaranteed. Most of the time it wasnt a problem.
            I can understand if its a small business and cant afford to buy alot of things but it doesnt sound like your boss knows how to handle cash either. He is supposed to train you. If you arent trained, its his fault. Or you can ask to work only on the repair side and not do any cash handling. If he doesnt have a register, then you put all the cash and checks into a drawer or lockbox? What happens when you get robbed?
            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Re: F****, Not Again!!!

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
              Are people targeting this particular store or what?
              Yes, they are targeting your store. First, they've figured out your store is a n00b when it comes to security, so they can get away with things there they can't elsewhere. Secondly, computer gear holds it's value well in resale and sells well. So it's easy to fence.

I think your boss is discovering the cost of taking shortcuts.

Comment

CASH
                When someone pays with cash, youre supposed to count back the change to them.
                Say the bill was $15.58 and they hand you a $20. Check the bill with your counterfeit pen discreetly (you dont have to hide, everyone checks and everyone should be used to it)
                Put the $20 somewhere near you but not in the drawer or near the customer. This is to discourage scammers who claim to have given you a larger bill. (if you put the $20 into the till and give back the change, they may see a $100 in the drawer and claim they gave you the $100 - with the $20 showing, you can point to it and say, no sir/maam, you gave me a $20, see its right here)
                Give the customer back $4.42, counting back starting with the change - give htem the 0.02 and say ".50", the 2 quarters as ".75" and "16.00", then the 4 dollars as "17.00, 18.00, 19.00, and $20".
                Secure the $20 bill as they are leaving. Dont forget to smile.

Sometimes scammers will ask you to make change for something while you are counting/giving them back their change. Finish your transaction before giving them back change, as they will try to confuse you and trick you into giving them back more then they should get.

Put large bills under the drawer, the higher denomination bills farther from where the customers are, so if someone tries to grab cash, the $1's are closer to them and they wont get much cash.

Secure the drawer before turning your back on the customer(s) or leaving the area. It could be easy for someone to grab a handful of cash while your back is turned.

CHECKS
                When someone is writing a check, look over the check and see if its a local bank. Your work may not accept out of town checks, as they are harder to track down.
                Any checks over a certain amount ($250? i think) can be checked over the phone. Many banks have a special number that you can call in, punch in the account number and find out if they have enough to cover the check.
                On the check, write down the info on the check from their ID. Only drivers license, passport, state ID, or military ID are legitimate. Do not accept bus pass, key-z card, or anthing else. Check with your boss if your company will accept non-local ID's/checks.

I might be wrong, but I think vericheck and companies like that only check to see if the check writer is on a list of bad check writers, and do not check to see if they have cash in the account. I could be wrong, so dont quote me.

Travellers checks should have the countersign line unsigned until they sign it in front of you. It should match the other line already signed and should match.

Check the ID, make sure it makes sense. The picture should match, there should be a holograph, the card should feel smooth and shouldnt have a picture scotch taped over the old picture or feel re-laminated. Check the signatures, alot of places dont even verify your signature matches. Alot of people dont even sign their card, making it a risk. (If I stole an unsigned credit card, I could sign the persons name on the back of the card, then when I buy something, sign, then when they check my sig, it matches; so they should at least put in 'check id')
                Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
                  Find a new job. If you feel so bad about the job, maybe its time to find one that doesn't involve cash handling. A register is like $150 at Costco. If your boss cant afford a basic business thing like a cash register... I dunno. When I had a business I had a sign posted - "sorry, we do not accept checks" of course I accepted debit and credit cards tho. vericheck cost too much and were not guaranteed. Most of the time it wasn't a problem.
                  I can understand if its a small business and cant afford to buy alot of things but it doesn't sound like your boss knows how to handle cash either. He is supposed to train you. If you aren't trained, its his fault. Or you can ask to work only on the repair side and not do any cash handling. If he doesn't have a register, then you put all the cash and checks into a drawer or lockbox? What happens when you get robbed?
                  When I inquired about the job, I thought I'd only be doing computer repair and running the store that was formerly known as an internet cafe - not handling cash and selling products. The first time this happened, I quickly remedied it by buying a counterfeit pen. But since we lost much more this time, I don't know where to go.

And I've watched "It Takes a Thief", so I know how hard it is to be robbed, and its even harder to recover. I guess I'm taking the aloha spirit a bit too much.

But from now on, I'll treat everyone like they can do something wrong, and hopefully this will be the absolute last time this will happen.

Comment

its not up to you to buy supplies like a counterfeit pen. its nice of you, but your boss should do it. i hope he appreciates it.

dont treat all customers as if they were thieves, people can pick up on this and will not come back.
                    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Because of this, I'm thinking of quitting. I have no sales experience, just the computer tech experience, so I'm useless w/out a computer. I think if this was a big company, then this wouldn't happen because I've been trained, but I don't have any sales experience - all I relied on was my Police Explorer experience to remember faces and stuff.

And don't even ask how I'll pay the money back, as this totaled $600.
                      I think it's time for you to look for a new job. The stress of working in that place must be awful.

Even if you take an entry level job as Christmas help in a national-type store for a few months they'll train you and you'll gain valuable skills that you can apply elsewhere.

You can apply for many jobs online these days. Take a look at the Best Buy site:

http://careers.bestbuy.com/?h=488

Store help, or maybe you could try for a Geek Squad position if you still have your heart set on working with computers?

You'll get free training, there will be store security around to keep things safe for you, and there will even be fire extinguishers.
                      Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; November 8, 2006, 04:20 PM.

Comment

This thread makes me go AHAHHHH!!! You're way too nice. I wouldn't have purchased any pens and I certainly wouldn't feel bad about accepting a bad check if you were just following rules (especially if there were no rules to be followed). It's the owner or office manager's job to make sure things run correctly. If you are neither but are expected to perform one of the above duties (such as purchasing counterfit markers and fire extinguishers), you should ask for a pay raise and new title.

Don't feel responsible for either situation. There's definitely something to learn from both, like everyone has pointed out so far, there was nothing to prevent it from happening; sounds like your boss was just as ill-prepared as you were for it. If you told the owner you have no previous experience with retail, then it's his fault for putting you in that position. If he told you you would be "running the store," then I would think selling products and handling cash falls under "running the store" but it doesn't really matter - now you know what the job is and you're not comfortable with it.

If I were you, I'd start lookin' for somewhere else that's less sketchy. There are a ton of seasonal jobs available, especially at the mall. Costco does online applications as well (tho it's probably not what you're looking, but it's still a job). If I were you, I'd open my mind up to take any seasonal job that is willing to teach you retail/sales stuff, whether it's a clothing, cookie stand or book store. Folks here are helpful, but good, in-store experience would be more valuable. I think Best Buy would be a fantastic place for you - get your foot in the door and see what opens up down the line. For the longest time, Radio Shack down here in Ewa Beach was hiring. No clue if they still are now tho (and that's not much help lol sorry). CompUSA is also hiring and you can search for jobs on their website (the Career link is on the bottom and choose all the Hawaii locations you want); you can apply online, too.

Comment

Originally posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
                          I think it's time for you to look for a new job. The stress of working in that place must be awful.

Even if you take an entry level job as Christmas help in a national-type store for a few months they'll train you and you'll gain valuable skills that you can apply elsewhere.

You can apply for many jobs online these days. Take a look at the Best Buy site:

http://careers.bestbuy.com/?h=488

Store help, or maybe you could try for a Geek Squad position if you still have your heart set on working with computers?

You'll get free training, there will be store security around to keep things safe for you, and there will even be fire extinguishers.
                          Both Best Buy and Circuit city's job application (if you can call that - I personally call it a test) takes too long to fill out. I think I filled it out with different personality answers, and I still can't get an interview.

However, I will try to apply for seasonal help, maybe away from customer service (janitorial, loading, etc might be good) but I am going to get a second job if the pay for this one doesn't increase.

Originally posted by Kelly0040 View Post
                          This thread makes me go AHAHHHH!!! You're way too nice. I wouldn't have purchased any pens and I certainly wouldn't feel bad about accepting a bad check if you were just following rules (especially if there were no rules to be followed). It's the owner or office manager's job to make sure things run correctly. If you are neither but are expected to perform one of the above duties (such as purchasing counterfeit markers and fire extinguishers), you should ask for a pay raise and new title.
                          He actually has another job at a car customization company as their webmaster (why they need him full time, I don't know) and he also goes to school, so hopefully he'll give me more power to whip the place into shape.

And I guess my nice nature is the way I am. I give a shaka to everyone who gives me way on the road; I offer free legit software to people who pays for their stuff (all the way to the productivity software); when building a computer, I offer the best component for the money, and I treat it like I'm building my computers; and I'm just about the most honest computer technician out there (I don't BS about problems and if something needs replacing, I give them an estimate with options).

I guess the saying "nice guys finish last" applies to me, but if I be mean to someone, then I'll have a bad day.

Comment

Both Best Buy and Circuit city's job application (if you can call that - I personally call it a test) takes too long to fill out. I think I filled it out with different personality answers, and I still can't get an interview.
                            Let me get this straight, filling out a lengthly form is too much work (for a good job/career) or filling out the meyers-briggs personality test with different answers to the same company might give you a skitso profile.
                            Could it be that you didnt have enough work experience or they could pick up that you wouldnt make a good salesman? (as you stated)
                            Alot of tech jobs are available now. Have you posted on monster or career-builder? I went from owning my own business to a career in a few months, and I didnt even have to call any ads, they all called me!
                            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Are people targeting this particular store or what?

Two people gave me checks that doesn't have anything in the account!! I got the call from my boss on my way home, and the people who regularly rode the bus with me never seen me so sad. If I could, then I'd go out and find these people and rip their heads off then kill them.
                              And I guess my nice nature is the way I am. I give a shaka to everyone who gives me way on the road; I offer free legit software to people who pays for their stuff (all the way to the productivity software); when building a computer, I offer the best component for the money, and I treat it like I'm building my computers; and I'm just about the most honest computer technician out there (I don't BS about problems and if something needs replacing, I give them an estimate with options).

I guess the saying "nice guys finish last" applies to me, but if I be mean to someone, then I'll have a bad day.
                              Adrian, you do seem like a nice guy but if this job is pushing you to the point where you want to "go out and find these people and rip their heads off and kill them" it's really time to think about what this job is doing to you.

I truly think you have to get out and get a job where you can interact with other people and learn from them. Learn what to do in different business situations, develop skills that could help you be more successful.

It can also be FUN to work with other people. Work does not have to be all tension and drudgery. Even in my inherently stressful job we spend a lot of time laughing and enjoying each other's company.

This just seems like an unhealthy environment for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X