Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Most residents don't want more hotels

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
    Well, if you want to evaluate a high rise for a fire situation, then of course, you have a whole different set of criteria.

I always wondered in a high rise scenario, would it be safe if you chose to live at the highest floor, let's say 40. Always keep a hang glider ready in the balcony for the fire.
    I'd say it's a modified "Darwin's Theory"...the higher you go, the more it costs, but the farther the distance to the ground if you needed to get out quickly[splat]. Or like people who build expensive houses at the base or edge of a hill that's prone to landslides because they want a view: More expensive to build, more expensive to insure, more expensive to repair!

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
      Not if you move into another building closer to the water...
      I think you missed my point. Those tall building block everyone else. Being so close to the water I think they should have been shorter to allow taller building mauka to see the water. What I see happening is these new building form a "seawall". If you don't live in a seawall, you won't see the ocean at all. And those building pictured? They ain't cheap. Even by Hawaii standards.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
        I think you missed my point. Those tall building block everyone else. Being so close to the water I think they should have been shorter to allow taller building mauka to see the water. What I see happening is these new building form a "seawall". If you don't live in a seawall, you won't see the ocean at all. And those building pictured? They ain't cheap. Even by Hawaii standards.
        But look at the bright side: if ever there was a really bad tsunami, that "seawall" of high rises on the beach would shield all the buildings behind them from damage!

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I voted for more hotels. At least double the current number. Build them in residential areas if you have to.

Comment

I think you missed my point.
            No, I didn't.

Maybe you should move to Kauai or the Big Island. Less people, less big buildings.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
              Maybe you should move to Kauai or the Big Island. Less people, less big buildings.
              Less jobs.

And frankly, I think the neighbor islands would give me rock fever.

Comment

Less jobs.

And frankly, I think the neighbor islands would give me rock fever.

Well you can't have more jobs with less structure. I take it you mean Rock Fever as in lack of a major city infrastructure? Because Oahu is about as small (physically) as Puna (one of many districts of the Big Island).
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Less Jobs??????

We have a 2% unemployment rate on Big Island. Whachu tokkin bout??
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com
                  Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                    Less Jobs??????

Yeah but a few of those jobs are construction jobs which will evaporate once the construction boom is over. And if tourism starts to falter because of our seemingly increasing earthquake activity going on over on the West, well we'll have a problem then I guess.

Here on the East side, jobs are plentiful and many retailers are having a hard time staffing their stores as other businesses entice workers with higher pay. Used to be a time when Home Depot here in Hilo offered a decent starting wage at $10 per hour for most associates, now I hear certain starting lot attendants are making more than that and are leaving because other companies are offering more. Amazing.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Less Jobs??????

The whole low unemployment rate is a great thing but sadly, most of the jobs are not quality jobs, which is why people need to take on two, maybe three jobs to really make it in this state.

Comment

Less jobs.
                        Less Jobs??????
                        "Less," nothing. Y'all mean "fewer" jobs, please. [/grammar nazi]

Comment

Leo, no way am I going to let you use the "n" word.

How about Grammar Teacher?
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com
                          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Leo, no way am I going to let you use the "n" word.
                            How about Grammar Teacher?
                            Too funny, Tim. It's past the "edit" time limit, so I'll have to grant the point to you without fixing the original post.

Comment

Ad Infinitum Construction, Inc. ,Re: Most residents don't want more hotels

Miulang== " I know this is a big DUH, but a recent survey commissioned by the HTA showed that 76% of all residents polled don't want any more hotels built in Hawai'i, while at the same time they do want more tourism jobs created...Source. So tourism is good, but it doesn't necessarily make people's quality of life any better? "

Whether tourism is good or bad for those who reside in such infected/afflicted regions depends on many factors: What is "the product" being marketed toward which tourists are drawn/pay out money? High-end consumer paradises, child prostitution, gambling, rich-kids' surf bunglows, theme parks,,,,all have paying customers. Then the money...where does it end up? Who really benefits from its receipt? Who doesn't?
                              "How can more tourism jobs be created without more development? "

How can Hawaii construction union workers ever not want for more big and bigger projects until all the islands are, in a generation or two, indistiguishable from Honolulu?
                              Last edited by waioli kai; December 13, 2006, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                                Yeah but a few of those jobs are construction jobs which will evaporate once the construction boom is over. And if tourism starts to falter because of our seemingly increasing earthquake activity going on over on the West, well we'll have a problem then I guess.

Here on the East side, jobs are plentiful and many retailers are having a hard time staffing their stores as other businesses entice workers with higher pay. Used to be a time when Home Depot here in Hilo offered a decent starting wage at $10 per hour for most associates, now I hear certain starting lot attendants are making more than that and are leaving because other companies are offering more. Amazing.
                                Take note Hilo's weekly unemployment filings range about 100 more than Kona's.Kona has never exceeded 100 at least in 2006 link

Interesting article on the severe labor shortage in Kona link

"Across the Big Island in Hilo, the labor market for fast-food and convenience stores is fairly stable. Out of a work force of 85,000, only about 3,000 people on the Big Island were unemployed this summer, mostly on the Hilo side.

It has always been somewhat tight in Kona, but lately things have gotten worse.

For six to eight weeks out of the year, for the past several years, the company that operates KFC and Burger King restaurants in Hawaii has had to fly employees from Honolulu to Kona to keep the stores open.

"The last six months, it's been the toughest," said Steve Johnson, general manager of Kazi Foods, which has one KFC and one Burger King in Kona."
                                Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                                The Kona Blog

Comment

Working...
                                X