TiVo vs. Oceanic's DVR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TiVo vs. Oceanic's DVR

So Tivo uses content from Satellite and cable providers? If that's the case then wouldn't it be easier to just use the DVR from let's say Dish Network where programming is all integrated with the DVR? Or is Tivo as integrated as well.

If both require additional subscriptions for usage then is Tivo cheaper than Dish network's DVR set up?

My mom is so frustrated with recording programming on her VCR. It would be nice to just have her go to the menu and select what programs she wants to record on a weekly basis instead of setting up the satellite receiver to a certain channel then recording it on the VCR (real old school here). Then she can watch her wrestling and cooking shows while my dad watches his Japanese programs.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I switched my mom over to the Oceanic DVR. At first she was content to use her VCR, but when I upgraded her box by swapping it out for the DVR, she couldn't be happier. My mom is 73 and the DVR is no problem for her. The DVR can record two programs simultaneously and this is important to her because sometimes there are programs on both NGN and NGN2 and/or NGN3 that she doesn't want to miss. I also showed her how to copy over her DVR recorded programs to a VCR so that she can share her programs via VHS tape with her friends.

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
      So Tivo uses content from Satellite and cable providers? If that's the case then wouldn't it be easier to just use the DVR from let's say Dish Network where programming is all integrated with the DVR? Or is Tivo as integrated as well.

If both require additional subscriptions for usage then is Tivo cheaper than Dish network's DVR set up?

My mom is so frustrated with recording programming on her VCR. It would be nice to just have her go to the menu and select what programs she wants to record on a weekly basis instead of setting up the satellite receiver to a certain channel then recording it on the VCR (real old school here). Then she can watch her wrestling and cooking shows while my dad watches his Japanese programs.

Comment

HD is amazing... on sale they can start at $800 for a 50 inch wide screen. We got ours with free delivery from Circuit City, we bought it online last January and the local store brought it out. Combined with the DVR HD package, I will never go to a movie theater again. Watching movies or documentaries or even prime time is unbelieable. It is almost 3D is that there is depth that you could never see before. You can see the texture and feel of someones clothes. When I would see TV's in stores I would think what is the big deal... but when it was home a set up properly it was like going from mono of the 50's into stereo, or from black and white to color TV. You plug it into surround sound and the experience is captivating. For home entertainment this is the best there has ever been.

Regarding DVR or TIVO I think everyone agrees the TIVO is a better system, but if you are watching cable, especially HD and digital, then the DVR is more practical from an expense point of view. It works just fine, and its cheaper in the long run... you can turn it in for the next model and no repairs. Plus it has the tuner built in and can record two shows while watching a prerecorded third and sending a forth recording to an external recorder... all at the same time. I wish TW offered the TIVO OS in their box... but I am not going to get a TIVO just because of that. Anyway I have had alot of experience with this equiptment and if someone would like to talk my phone number is on my website. By the way I also put little videos on my Palm for portable viewing... that is great too. So many options we have now
        Brad White
        sigpic
        http://www.pan-flute.com

Comment

I simply can't afford an HDTV, so I'm hoping it will be a while before stations actually STOP broadcasting the old way. I know that sentence is filled with all kinds of ignorance, but TV just important enough to me right now to figure it all out.

However. There are things I tape and then later edit down to suit my needs (mostly instructional; largely entertaining). If what I'm hearing is right, and I won't be able to take content off TiVo and edit it in a video editor on my laptop, TiVo is pretty close to useless for me. Is this right?
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The Oceanic/Scientific Atlantic DVR 8300 is an HD recorder and it has a 160 Gig hard drive. You can also plug in a ATA external hard drive and double your recording size. You can also save to an analog DVD recorder. A new version that is just out (but not yet in Hawaii yet) has a built in DVD recorder. My 8300 has a HDMI cable for our HDTV. Once you have had HD in your home you would never be able or want to go back. A curse or a blessing
            Brad White
            sigpic

Comment

I've been searching the web for an easy solution and despite the popularity of Tivo, it's locked down pretty tight and the solutions to do a digital transfer of recorded material isn't easy. I've done it the less elegant way where I've simply used the video out from the Tivo and captured the program directly to my laptop or camcorder. This way, I can edit the video using standard video editing tools. The video out from the Tivo is analog, so I don't maintain the "purity" of a direct digital transfer, but it's good enough for me.

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
              I simply can't afford an HDTV, so I'm hoping it will be a while before stations actually STOP broadcasting the old way. I know that sentence is filled with all kinds of ignorance, but TV just important enough to me right now to figure it all out.

However. There are things I tape and then later edit down to suit my needs (mostly instructional; largely entertaining). If what I'm hearing is right, and I won't be able to take content off TiVo and edit it in a video editor on my laptop, TiVo is pretty close to useless for me. Is this right?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                TiVo is a third-party. You bet your sweet bippy your cable or sattelite provider wants you to use their system. So yes it's easier, and cheaper, and like I said, for basic use, the DVR from your cable provider will probably be more than enough, especially for your mom.

TiVo is differentiating itself on features and design, but just like deciding between Mac OSX and Windows, it's a difference that doesn't matter to a lot of people.

TiVo's Series 3 is a dual-tuner and does HDTV, but the current Series 2 does not, which is a consideration. (We solve the two-channels-at-the-same-time problem by having two TiVos!) Also, to use a TiVo with digital cable, there's a "ghetto" (as a friend called it) IR setup needed to get it to change channels since Oceanic controls the tuner setup (unless you pay $3/mo. for a "CableCard" that goes into the Series 3). Like I said, it's to Oceanic's benefit to make life hard for TiVo users.

I still love mine, though.
                Originally posted by scrivener
                There are things I tape and then later edit down to suit my needs (mostly instructional; largely entertaining). If what I'm hearing is right, and I won't be able to take content off TiVo and edit it in a video editor on my laptop, TiVo is pretty close to useless for me. Is this right?
                Out of the box, yes. There are some pretty snazzy ways to do what you want to do, but none are official and are likely not legal (though they should be -- you're doing this for yourself, not file-sharing sites!). The same limitations exist on cable-company-provided DVRs, though, and actually their restrictions are more strict (since Oceanic is much more snuggly with Touchtone, say, than TiVo is).

Note that there are TiVo boxes with integrated DVD burners that, I think, burn regular DVDs, but again those are as-is, so you'd have to then take that DVD and reencode to do editing, which is a pain.

If you want total control of the media you record, the free MythTV setup is probably for you. But, you'll have to get comfortable with Linux and its media tools.

Comment

You can record anything on your cable company DVR hard drive to its analog output. They have a menu choice for recording to "VCR"... in my case its my Panasonic DVD writer. Of course its not HD or a straight digital copy but for watching on a computer or DVD or Palm it very good. And while its recording you can still record two shows and play back another program. Not bad.
                  Brad White
                  sigpic

Comment

It's been interesting following the messages in this thread. I have been convinced to get neither Tivo nor Oceanic DVR at this time. As long as we have analog cable and analog TV signals (to Feb. 17, 2009), I'll stick with what I have:

* Standard cable service - no cable box
                    * Standard TV - no HDTV
                    * Standard VCR

My newest device that I use for recording TV content into digital form is the Neuros Recorder 2 which I discussed at this post.

I bought one a few months ago and have been happily saving lo-res analog to digital converted copies of programs ranging from Lost and Battlestar Galactica to shows I can simply "tape off" from my DVD collection.

Most are saved to low res 320 x 240 which works perfect on my Mac using Quicktime player. Files can also be transferred to iPods and PSP. I think there is a higher resolution option, but the files take up more space.

The thing I like best about the Neuros is the fact that there are no subscription fees whatsoever after you buy it. Of course you have to remember when your program comes on, tune into the correct channel and time to record it. But for something lo res and cheap ($129 online and recently seen at Shirokiya for $90), it is a good buy.

You save everything on a compact flash or memory stick card from the Neuros and transfer it to your computer's hard disc to edit or save to DVD or whatevers.

More on Neuros Recorder 2.

There are no DRM issues to contend with using this device.
                    Last edited by mel; November 22, 2006, 04:18 PM. Reason: corrected "analog switchoff" date; added link
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I used to love my TiVo. Then I moved to California and used the cable company's DVR. Now I love and miss my TiVo.

As easy as the DVR is to use, TiVo was easier to use, had better search functions and made some nice suggestions. After a couple of months of the DVR, I hooked the TiVo up in the bedroom. It ran fine for a few months, but then the hard drive failed.

Here's something cool: until the end of the year, if you have a TiVo lifetime subscription, you can transfer that over to a brand new Hi-Def TiVo. AND they'll still let you keep the subscription on your old box for a couple of months. Sounds like something I'd do, considering my TiVo doesn't work. That way I can still avoid the new monthly charges. Unless someone wants to buy it off of me for just such a purpose. (wink wink nudge nudge say no more)

Comment

Isn't the new Tivo HD almost $800 and then you have to still pay for two HD cable cards per month.... that is a lot of money. The cable provided DVR may not have as many features but for $7 or so extra a month is a great deal. Plus when the hard drive breaks or a new model comes out you can just swap it. I wish the cable companies had licensed the Tivo system... I would even pay a bit extra for that choice.
                        Brad White
                        sigpic

Comment

Replacing the Tivo drive was pretty simple. It just needed to be formatted correctly and installation was a breeze as long as you have correct screwdrivers. You need a couple of different torx heads (the star shaped ones) in order to remove the Tivo cover and stuff. The drive pops in and out easily. You can use any standard ATA drive, but there are a couple of drives out there that are designed specifically for PVRs. I went with the Maxtor, same that comes with the Tivo. Your lifetime subscription is chip encoded, so replacing the drive doesn't affect your lifetime subscription.

I looked at the upgrade offer, but $200 for the upgrade and $800 for the new Tivo. Yikes. That's rapid transit pricing.

Comment

TiVo ain't cheap, no doubt about it. Once again, some people are willing to pay for the refinements, some aren't. A DT Series 3 sounds great, but it costs a pretty penny, plus everything else you need (from CableCards to, you know, an HDTV display!). Considering the fact that people are still blowing five grand on the TV itself, though, it's all relative.

I sure wish I was rich, 'cause one thing TiVo is doing to entice us old-timers is allowing us to actually have lifetime subscriptions on the Series 3 (when otherwise, lifetime plans are no more). I went for the lifetime plan on our Series 2 and it's more than paid for itself.

We'll just slog along in Series 2 land. By the time the technology (analog cable and "standard" video) are wholly obsoleted, there'll probably be a Series 5 to lust after, plus hopefully a few consumer-ready (i.e. idiot proof) out-of-the-box open-source options like MythTV.

Comment

Do the HD recordings take up more disk space then a non-HD recording? I would think the HD video would require more. Assuming its the same high quality of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad White View Post
                                I wish the cable companies had licensed the Tivo system...
                                Yes, or the TitanTV.com guide. But TWC is moving on this. Here's a thread on AVSforum discussing TWC's upcoming Cable Navigator, which promises to fix some of the shortcomings of the SARA software we now use on the 8300:
                                http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=723830
                                Greg

Comment

Working...
                                X