TiVo vs. Oceanic's DVR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TiVo vs. Oceanic's DVR

I wonder if TWC is going to replace the lousy digital cable television guide ?
    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
    The Kona Blog

Comment

I have two TV setups in the house, one with TiVo and one with Oceanic's DVR.

TiVo is FAR superior. It always recalls my place in watching a show, while the DVR, after 24 hours, has forgotten.

TiVo can jump in 15 minute increments through a long show, while the DVR's fast forward takes a long time to do so.

TiVo can search for key words, titles and actors and can automatically record them if found.

DVR's are dumb. You have to know the time and channel a program is on to record it.

My DVR also seems to "forget" to record programs I've programmed. I have to re-input the data. TiVo never has forgotten.

I got both to compare and Tivo, for my purposes, wins by a long shot. It's not even close.

Comment

Thanks for all the info folks. Don't know if this is useful but here goes. The fee on top of the regular dvr to get the hd dvr is 6.95? Has component and HDMI outputs, but the phone rep said the HDMI isn't supported.

Comment

Does anyone else who has an OTW dvr have to do a hard reboot at the beginning of each month? I find that this is the only way to allay the recording and tuning gremlins which would otherwise cripple my dvr. Oceanic tech support simply echoes my diagnosis (have already exchanged). And my SO's and mother's dvrs also seem to share this unfortunate syndrome. Livable. But I can't wait to build an HD HTPC once the 'ole budget allows.
          "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

I was at a friend's home and the question was asked if the hard drive content could be off loaded from his Oceanic DVR. I looked at the back of his DVR and noticed what looked like a SATA connector on the back.

So I'm thinking if you ran a SATA cable from the back of the DVR and into your computer's SATA plug on the motherboard, what would the BIOS identify this setup as?
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

The SATA port is for connecting an external hard drive for additional storage. Unfortunately, the proprietary file system employed by the dvr OS squelches any hope for lossless transfer of content. *sigh*
              "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Working...
              X