My computer's problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My computer's problems

This, should nobody else choose to use it, will be a running thread for my own computer issues.
    Today's issues are; dispite seemingly being virus free, I continue to experience SSDS - sudden shut down syndrome. It's just become daily again after not happening for a stretch. What up w'dat?

And, why does my address bar constantly delete oft-used addy's, some after just a coupl'a days of not hitting them? Some completely, some can be conjured up with the beginning of the address. How can I make the memory last?
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: My computer's problems

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    Today's issues are; dispite seemingly being virus free, I continue to experience SSDS - sudden shut down syndrome. It's just become daily again after not happening for a stretch. What up w'dat?
    Sometimes this can be caused by overheating. If can, maybe pop open your box and see if you've got a major buildup of dust inside, especially around the fans used to cool your CPU. If you do, clean the buggah out - you can use cans of compressed air to do so - but do it gently and be sure you are unplugged from your power source. This can occur often if your computer is in a "hutch" where you don't get to dust regularly - the fans will draw a lot of it in, and if the unit overheats, it can regularly shut down without warning. (You get the feeling I might be talking from personal experience here?)
    And, why does my address bar constantly delete oft-used addy's, some after just a coupl'a days of not hitting them? Some completely, some can be conjured up with the beginning of the address. How can I make the memory last?
    That sounds like a quirk of whatever e-mail program you are using.

Comment

Check the INTERIOR electricity connections. I had one that kept going off and it turned out that there was a loose screw inside the computer so it couldn't keep the power on.

And, yep, it could be overheating due to dust and dog hair. I prop mine up on four water bottle caps....and you wouldn't believe the amount of dust and dog hair that can be sucked into that little teeny grill at the back.
      http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
      http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yeah, and maybe you've just got some corrupted files or a glitchy hard drive or other hardware. Hope you figure it out or move on to an upgrade.
        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

I'll be diving into the back today to clean and search for a loose screw, I'll report, if I survive.

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
          Yeah, and maybe you've just got some corrupted files or a glitchy hard drive or other hardware.
          I download tons of music, but this was happening to a lesser degree prior to starting the vast majority of that..., what other kind of files might be suspect?
          My laptop health-o-meter says all is well, could there be undetectables?

Comment

My laptop health-o-meter says all is well, could there be undetectables?
            What program do you use for this? A popular one is the (free) anti-malware program from Malwarebytes.com.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
              What program do you use for this? A popular one is the (free) anti-malware program from Malwarebytes.com.
              Advanced SystemCare 5 w/turboboost is my primary, but recently dl'd Avast and AVG for a quick test drive to dbl. check. Malwarbytes was a hassle to dl and I gave up. I might try again.

Comment

Occassionally my battery power supply drains to 0 while fully plugged into the wall circuit/computer and the laptop shuts off, what's going on?
                The power button light stays on but won't activate start up. I have to pop the battery out and reinsert, then hit the power/start button to restart.

Comment

Occassionally my battery power supply drains to 0 while fully plugged into the wall circuit/computer and the laptop shuts off, what's going on?
                  The power button light stays on but won't activate start up. I have to pop the battery out and reinsert, then hit the power/start button to restart.
                  You should be able to take the battery completely out and operate off of direct ac. If not, I would suspect a bad power supply. Regardless, if the computer is over three years old, I would just purchase a new one rather than go through this aggravation.

I would never try to second guess any computer! About two years ago I started a thread about my laptop. It was dead. I took it to a techniciian and he said I had probably lost all the data on my hard drive and the computer was now toast. I cried and then bought a new computer. About three months later, I pulled out the old computer (for what reason I will never know) and the thing booted right up and all my data and files were there!!!!!!!! I am using that old computer at this moment! It works fine! But I did buy a portable backup and back up all my files about once a week. I gave the new computer to uaifi and she was fiefia 'aupito!
                  Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                    But I did buy a portable backup and back up all my files about once a week.
                    Most important sentence in that post.

The way I recommend everyone think about this: Digital data does not exist unless it is stored in at least two (if not three or four) places. That applies to computers, digital cameras, mp3 players, etc.

At home, I have a separate drive on which I can store backups of all files at least six times over (so I have earlier versions if something gets corrupted); I also have a backup drive that lives off-premises (so if catastrophe strikes home and I lose both the computer AND the primary backup drive) - you could also consider cloud storage now. In addition, all photo files are burned to CD as yet another option, and all our music files are from CD to begin with.

And it's no good to have all these backups if you don't use them regularly (as does matapule).

Comment

Just popped the battery out and it continues to work, but why would the battery suddeny drain and the laptop konk out while fully plugged in? Then afater popping the battery out and back in, it starts recharging, only to repeat the outage at some later point?

Plus, regarding my other post about the laptop konking out and the suspected dust buildup, can the whole underside be unscrewed/removed (meaning the entire bottom chassis), as needed to access the fan without screwing it up?

Comment

One thing to check is the A/C connector to the laptop. Even though it may look connected it may not be in all the way such that it is active.

I don't know how your laptop is setup but there should be small icons next to the clock, one of them would deal with the A/C and battery status.

Comment

Just popped the battery out and it continues to work, but why would the battery suddeny drain and the laptop konk out while fully plugged in? Then afater popping the battery out and back in, it starts recharging, only to repeat the outage at some later point?
                          It looks like to me you have a bad battery.
                          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                            Check the A/C connector to the laptop, it may not be in all the way.
                            There should be small icons next to the clock dealing with the A/C and battery status.
                            I'm aware of both, keep it snug, and the level drop sneaks up so I never see the icon dropping.

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                            It looks like to me you have a bad battery.
                            Well then, while your in there, mata, mosie on over to the fan for me and see if it's clear. Just be careful, k?

Comment

So now this suckers konking out regularly, about every hour for no known reasons. What's causing this?

Can I unscrew the entire back plate and remove it just to check for dust buildup without problems?
                              It seems clear enuf, and it's not heating up many more than when new.
                              Last edited by Ron Whitfield; May 15, 2012, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X