Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do You Skype?

Originally posted by matapule View Post
    I believe that Skype computer to Skype computer calls are free, but that means you have to both be on the computer at the same time, so it takes some pre-planning.[...]
    Aha! That's exactly why I want skype and it would always require pre-planning because it will involve 3 households with calls centered around the extremely busy schedules of my 2 daughters and 3 grandsons. Even traditional phone calls are prearranged!

Comment

HELP, Skypers!!!

Skype software is installed and working...
      DV camcorder is connected and working (couldn't get a webcam to work...go figure!)...
      My test call was successful...
      I tried to add a contact and can't! The "add contact" button is dimmed and all I can do is "search". Of course, the search turns up nothing 'cuz I couldn't add the contact!

I've read the support for Mac pages and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated!

Comment

...and another question...<sigh>

A friend just skyped me using video. I could see him just fine but he couldn't see me. All that appeared in the little screen was my still photo. My friend told me there should also be a little screen on my computer where I can monitor my own video. There wasn't. The only way I could see myself was preferences>video. And, that worked fine. FWIW...we're both on Macs. What am I doing wrong? Friend video skypes with others with no problems so I assume the problem is on my end.

Still...that was sooooooo cool. I'm hooked!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
          ...and another question...<sigh>

A friend just skyped me using video. I could see him just fine but he couldn't see me. All that appeared in the little screen was my still photo. My friend told me there should also be a little screen on my computer where I can monitor my own video. There wasn't. The only way I could see myself was preferences>video. And, that worked fine. FWIW...we're both on Macs. What am I doing wrong? Friend video skypes with others with no problems so I assume the problem is on my end.

Still...that was sooooooo cool. I'm hooked!
          sue,

on the video prefs pane do you have the 'enable skype video' checked and the 'start my video automatically' checked?

BTW, if you use skype a lot to call regular phones like landlines and mobiles. you can pay $3 a month for unlimited calls....
          website - http://www.brianhancock.com
          blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
            sue,

on the video prefs pane do you have the 'enable skype video' checked and the 'start my video automatically' checked?
            I had the first one checked but not the second one. I'll try that.
            BTW, if you use skype a lot to call regular phones like landlines and mobiles. you can pay $3 a month for unlimited calls....
            I was a Skype virgin 'til 2 days ago so I'm still trying to figure it out! If I decide to use it for regular calls I'll look into that.

Thanx for your info.

Comment

I have been voice Skype with friends in Hawaii for at least 2 years. The only problem we find is the time difference, so we text each other on our mobiles and ask if they are 'up and about.'

Comment

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
                [...]on the video prefs pane do you have the 'enable skype video' checked and the 'start my video automatically' checked?[...]
                Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                I had the first one checked but not the second one. I'll try that.[...]
                I DID IT!

The 2nd one worked, Brian!!! Thank you. Now I need to call one of the gaffers I work with to come in and professionally light my desk area so I don't look so dang scary...and old!...on camera! I mean...look at my avatar. That's what professional lighting can do! I'd be a fool not to try to duplicate that! I did my first video chat with a family friend whom I hadn't seen in over 25 years...someone who knew my dad before my mom did! So...I sat 10' from the camera hoping he'd remember me as a 40-something! (j/k) Robert wondered if I was sitting in front of a window because the picture was so washed out. Yes...and that was the purpose!!!

DSL, while it works, seems to cause audio and video to be slightly out of sync. Still...what amazing technology. And I'm thrilled to be able to use one of my extra camcorders instead of having to buy a web cam. I'm trying to stay in recessionista-chic mode!

Comment

Trying to install Skype on a Windows based computer.

Comment

I'm still trying to bring all my old friends onto email even!

And me.... sitting here with no shirt, junk shorts, slick-back hair & reading glasses....
                    Ah, vanity, thy name is... Ka`onohi.

I'm not ready for this. I even disconnected my 'Windows Messenger' and all the other instant messaging systems. E-mail is close enough.

I know - old farts and all that.... Come to me on my terms or stay away.
                    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                    ~ ~
                    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

i havent been checking HT on a regular basis recently so this thread is new to me tho it isn't a new one; skype? absolutely. it's simply fantastic. one very practical application for me is to stay in touch with a great friend who moved to thailand; it's like calling a guy who's just next door and for free.

note also that you can buy time and make phone calls to anywhere in the world; that is, from your computer to a cell phone or land line phone. so when i'm on the road, i can call anywhere at a great price vs using my cell phone. for example, a friend of mine said that with t-mobile, he can call his daughter from london to hawaii for about $5/minute or something ridiculous like that. with skype, when i'm in thailand or japan, i can call hawaii for about 2 cents a minute!

skype is one of those things that really works well....
                      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Skype is very useful and cheap. I can have multiple chats with my son in Kyoto and my cousin in Mission B.C. We all talk at once.

Comment

Working...
                        X