No announcement yet.

Google Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: how many.. what do you.. have you ever...

I dunno ... i checked out the previous Google earth links that were posted...

I like the site....haven't found much need for it personally yet.

Comment

Yes, yes, yes - Google Earth is fun! I've checked out many places where I used to live, where I grew up etc. I was able to look at my best friends backyard in Reno a few days ago! Google Earth rocks!
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I checked out my mom's house in Kailua the only time I was ever on Google Earth on a PC at a public library ...it is neat to see how a viewer is "transported" from point A to point B, at near light speed. I don't think the view I had of Kailua was completely up to date when I viewed it as the recently built parking garage complex behind the new Long's wasn't shown.

The NBC Nightly News has been using Google Earth frequently during their broadcasts, especially when they are pinpointing small towns and villages in the line of fire in the current conflict between Israel and Hezbollah...I'll admit, it is an amazing bit of technology.

I've never attempted to use it on my own laptop at home, as I was under the perception that one had to download a Google Earth program, which is I also heard is fairly large in terms of megabytes..or can one use it directly online from Google Earth?

Comment

"don't think the view I had of Kailua was completely up to date"

what could THAT be?!
          "up to date'
          is yer daily news.

it means "up to this date"
          ya simply can't expect something as incredibly involved as google earth to have daily pictures taken of every square yard of terrain on this globe.
          and then added and changed daily, to keep the views "up to date".

cmon farmboy.
          jeezus.
          Last edited by kimo55; August 1, 2006, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
            what could THAT be?!
            What did I say wrong? Okay...perhaps the image of the intersection of Kailua and Hahani I provided with was an older one that hadn't been updated yet. In other words, what I was shown did not accurately display that area of Kailua as it exists today. Perhaps it has been updated since. The next time I'm on Google Earth, I'll check.

Add on, ex post facto to your ex post facto add-on: I didn't realize that Google Earth was not a regularly updating program; I sort of figured in this day and age of instantaneous information, images in Google Earth would be updated rather quickly. Sorry..I was wrong.
            Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; August 2, 2006, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
              what I was shown did not accurately display that area of Kailua as it exists today.
              well, let's just say it ain't the job of google earth to do that.
              accurately display exactly what we see two hours ago.
              ok. so some homes have different garages. a car is gone that was there a year ago. No dog is on the corner that ya remembered a week ago.
              some palm tree has less fronds than ya saw the other day.
              with the price i pay to enjoy that amazing technology at the push of a few buttons, i can imagine not saying or even thinking: wot da hell?! this is yesterday's news! Google earth failed to satisfy my needs and expectations!
              UpDate It dammit! My Pee See gets updates whenever I want and when i don't want. so dammit! why ain't this updated!

Comment

who has searched out their fave spots on google earth?
                it's cool to check out yer old neighborhoods. Places you have visited...
                Even film locations of flicks you know well.
                Maybe you could find your head up your ... Oh, never mind. I'm sure it's not *that* precise.

Comment

Google earth failed to satisfy my needs and expectations!
                  UpDate It dammit! My Pee See gets updates whenever I want and when i don't want. so dammit! why ain't this updated!
                  Kimo, I think you're being unfair! Google Earth did not fail to meet my needs and expectations....remember, I was a first-time and one-time visitor to the site, ergo, I had no expectations for it whatsoever. On the contrary, it's an amazing program! I was simply reporting one small fact of what I had experienced with the site; in no way does their reporting of a minor inconsistancy of how Kailua is today and what is actually being shown constitute dissatisfaction with the Google Earth site.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
                    ergo, I had no expectations for it whatsoever.
                    in no way does their reporting of a minor inconsistancy of how Kailua is today and what is actually being shown constitute dissatisfaction with...
                    oh
                    i get it. yer practicing to be a paralegal?
                    Last edited by kimo55; August 2, 2006, 12:42 AM.

Comment

oh
                      i get it. yer practicing to be a paralegal?
                      Goodness no! I went to college a few years ago...got a BS in agri-business and stuck around a bit longer and managed to get a MBA in Finance. I tried the business world for brief period of time, but I soon figured out pencil pushing and number crunching in an high-rise office building just wasn't for me.

Comment

What the heck is going on here? I'm baffled.

Okay. Google Earth. This thing is as addicting as heck. I've spent far too many hours tracing road-trip routes I've been on, peeking at houses of friends I've visited on the mainland (not knowing addresses, and just following the roads and landmarks I was familiar with).

I agree with SFB: One of the coolest things about this program is the way it moves you around the globe. A lot of consideration clearly went into that, as it is much niftier than programmers needed to make it. It doesn't have to zoom you out, over, and in as it transports you from one spot to the next, but it's sooooooooo cool the way it does!

Bill Amend, the guy who draws Foxtrot, is a big fan, too (he's a geek -- an Apple geek), and has written Google Earth into his strips. My kinda comic-strip artist.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I love Google Earth (and Google Maps too, if you want the "instant online" version). Sadly a lot of the imagery is very out of date. Check out e.g. Hilo. It looks like a vomit-like mess in GE! Pity. Honolulu (and O'ahu in general) has some incredible detail though. I could pick out little details of places I had been when I was there.

Comment

Re: Google Earth

How about this one?

http://local.live.com/
                            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

That's Microsoft! So, you know, automatic point deduction. Their "Virtual Earth" is coming together, but it's still no Google Earth. More a developer's playground than anything, but not bad considering it was only a glimmer in Bill Gates' eyes last year. (The "everything and anything" Windows Live service it's folded into is probably worth its own thread.)

As for the currency of Google Earth images, it's interesting that with some updates (in Hawaii, and elsewhere), some areas actually lose resolution or step back in time, while others are improved. Things sure got sharp where I live, though -- you can see a car parked in our driveway!

Local media pundit Larry Geller recently used a Google Earth image to illustrate a complaint he had about faded road paint in Kapolei... since the image was recent enough to show that, indeed, the lines were practically non-existent and a safety hazard.

There are lots of blogs dedicated to Google Earth, which are a great way to see the latest toys and tools programmers have developed (there's a book on hacking it), and to find out when Google quietly slips in updated satellite images (or, on occasion, takes out something!).

Comment

Have you guys got the new beta version of google earth yet? Its got some cool new, additional features . The only things I probably dont like is that the sat photos appear kinda old and some areas (mainly my neighborhood & immediate surrounding areas) are blurred.

Comment

Working...
                                X