Who has Road Runner internet ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has Road Runner internet ?

Does any one use Road Runner internet connection ?

I am sick and tired of this Verizon DSL (what ever their new name is) and want to get rid of it. Between paying that bill and the other bill from Bizwind Kimchee every month, (which I have never understood what it is for)........ it is kind of ridiculous.

I have no idea what to expect from Road Runner and would like to know. Please tell me all.

TIA

Re: Who has Road Runner internet ?

I also use to have Verizon DSL then I changed to Dial-up due to my HP Computer being out of whack. Now that it's working, I'm going to stick with Hawaiian Tel (the new name) that took over Verizon in Hawai'i...cheaper by $15.00. From what the commercial says on t.v. LOL I'm calling them tomarrow.

Currently, I'm paying an average of $100.00 for Dial-up and Land line which is quite expensive. That's not including the cell bill. Anybody know of a better plan or option that is out there?

Mahalo,

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I had Oceanic RoadRunner. Happily switched to Verizon DSL and will never go back. Well... okay, even if Oceanic dropped its price to $14.95 a month, I'd still have to think about it a moment.

I've had my hair-pulling evenings with DSL, but nothing compared to the hell RoadRunner was. Always having a connection didn't matter much if I was getting only a few kilobytes a minute. Maybe when I was younger, waiting until 1 a.m. for more bandwidth was fine, but...

What on earth is Kimchee.net/Bizwind (the same company) billing you for, if you're paying for Verizon service direct? (And that Kimchee homepage is obnoxious. I'd dump them for that alone!) I imagine Kimchee might be a reseller, but getting all those bills, I'd be worried that you're double or triple paying for something.

Comment

Heck yeah.

If dial-up's good enough for you, I always recommend FlexNet, which is just ten bucks a month and reliable as can be. FlexNet boasts that for this great deal, you will get absolutely zero tech support, but you don't need it -- you've got all the tech support you need right here at HawaiiThreads. I'm sure Adrian would be happy to come to your house to set it up for you, too.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Just remember, with DSL, you get your own straw. When you use RR, you're sharing a huge straw with multiple people.

(I just love that commercial.)
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I've used RR for over five years now, both on the Mainland and here in HI. Other than the long wait time to have it installed, I have no complaints. No outages (here in Waikiki and in Columbus, OH), they've helped me every time I've had a problem, and though they are expensive, I guess I've never known anybody else and am reluctant to switch to something less expensive, due to my positive experiences with RR thus far. (Knock on wood).

The only thing that caused me alarm was when the service technician came to my house once and couldn't figure out something about the externals on my new computer. He figured it out eventually though.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              [...] What on earth is Kimchee.net/Bizwind (the same company) billing you for, if you're paying for Verizon service direct? (And that Kimchee homepage is obnoxious. I'd dump them for that alone!) I imagine Kimchee might be a reseller, but getting all those bills, I'd be worried that you're double or triple paying for something.
              I have Verizon DSL and love it. While I'm still a lava.net fan and continue to hang on to my dial-up account...just in case...it looks like kimchee.net does repackage and resell DSL like lava.net does. DSL is so much more expensive that way and in the case of lava.net, you're paying for customer service and tech support...an area where they shine. Can't say the same for Verizon! I pay a total of $54./mo. for both accounts. That does not include the monthly phone bill. It would cost me another $40./mo. for commercial DSL at the office which, eventually, I'll do thru Hawaiian Telcom.

Verizon DSL is supposed to be 'plug and play'. Yah! Right! I spent one entire week-end getting it to a point where I could use it and that was with some phone help from some very techie friends. Verizon's off-shore tech support was completely clueless. That's when we could understand what the other was saying!

Is anyone familiar with satellite broadband? There's a 'hot spot' in my office but, wow, is it ever tempermental. Not just for me but for everyone who's tried it with their laptops. I'm wondering if it's that tempermental for the actual subscriber.

Comment

Someone I know who lives in a rural area on the Big Island has Oceanic Cable internet. Her connection is usually always fast. Someone I knew who used to live here in Honolulu had Oceanic Cable internet and her connection was spotty. It was good some of the time, but at other times I guess with everyone else in her neighborhood online at the same time, the connection slowed down. Not to mention that tech support issues for Macs had to be referred to someone in Ontario.

Personally after being a longtime dial-up customer at lava.net, I changed over to DSL with lava.net. It is not cheap, but then again lava.net has great tech support, they have people right here in Honolulu who know stuff about Macs and they provide me with an almost fool proof spam filter.

I can also vouch for FlexNet dialup if needed. It's good to have a dialup account if you have like a laptop computer and go out into the boonies where there are no wifi hotspots, let alone high speed cable or DSL. Just about everyone has a phone jack in their home or business.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Ok, that's it. I'm confused. I have Dial-up. I can't use my phone because of the land line that is being used by the computer. Hence I want to get DSL. DSL or Hawaiian Tel? Price of Verizon vs Hawaiian Tel $15.00 offer less. Anybody have and know the quality of service of Hawaiian Tel? Which ever is better...I'll go on the commercial for FREE. LOL

Auntie Lynn
                  Last edited by 1stwahine; September 25, 2005, 11:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                    Ok, that's it. I'm confused. I have Dial-up. I can't use my phone because of the land line that is being used by the computer. Hence I want to get DSL. DSL or Hawaiian Tel? Price of Verizon vs Hawaiian Tel $15.00 offer less. Anybody have and know the quality of service of Hawaiian Tel?
                    Auntie...
                    Do you have a cell phone?
                    Do you have call forwarding on your land line?
                    If yes to both, and you're happy with dial-up, just call forward your land line to your cell phone during those times you're online.
                    Just a thought...

Comment

for what it's worth, i've been using road runner for something like 8 years now and i've never had a serious problem. download times are fast for me; don't know if it's just the area i live in.

that's not to say that i like rr, tho. even though you pay a little at first, the price goes up pretty quickly (introductory rate vs regular rate). also, when i moved from one apartment to another in the same building, they insisted that they had to hook me up and they charged me for it. that's such bs.
                      525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice
                        for what it's worth, i've been using road runner for something like 8 years now and i've never had a serious problem. download times are fast for me; don't know if it's just the area i live in.

that's not to say that i like rr, tho. even though you pay a little at first, the price goes up pretty quickly (introductory rate vs regular rate). also, when i moved from one apartment to another in the same building, they insisted that they had to hook me up and they charged me for it. that's such bs.
                        It still costs me $100.00 min. not including the cell.

Auntie Lynn

I think I'll have my son or daughter look at my plans instead of playing a smarty pants.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                          It still costs me $100.00 min. not including the cell.

Auntie Lynn

I think I'll have my son or daughter look at my plans instead of playing a smarty pants.
                          I have Verizon DSL. Price is about $65 including a phone line which is mandatory. The DSL service requires an active phone account.

I used to have RR but switched due to it being $15 cheaper per month. Both worked equally fine for me. I might go back to RR and drop the phone line as both my wife and I rely entirely on cellular service and seldom ever answer the landline.

My mom uses Flex and has a dialup.

Comment

Thank you! My technician (Adrian) recommends Verizons. I'll go with Verizon DSL!

Mahalo!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                              I had Oceanic RoadRunner. Happily switched to Verizon DSL and will never go back. Well... okay, even if Oceanic dropped its price to $14.95 a month, I'd still have to think about it a moment.

From what it says on Oceanic's web site, Road Runner costs $69.95 to install and $44.95 for a month for service.

I've had my hair-pulling evenings with DSL, but nothing compared to the hell RoadRunner was. Always having a connection didn't matter much if I was getting only a few kilobytes a minute. Maybe when I was younger, waiting until 1 a.m. for more bandwidth was fine, but...

Yes we have had hair pulling days and weeks with from Verison (now Hawaiian Tel) DSL. I think we started up our service with them in 2000. To get them on the phone, they put me on hold for one hour. Then the person that I talked to said it was not their problem and that I should call Bizwind. I would call Bizwind and they would tell me to call Verizon. Once Bizwind told me that my computer had a virus, which it did not. The DSL still goes on and off intermittently, not often, but at the prices we pay for it, it is very aggravating. Whne it cuts off, or what ever it is called, I have to unplug the DSL modem, wait a few minutes, and plug it back in. Then it connects to the internet, usually...at least that is how it has been recently.

What on earth is Kimchee.net/Bizwind (the same company) billing you for, if you're paying for Verizon service direct? (And that Kimchee homepage is obnoxious. I'd dump them for that alone!) I imagine Kimchee might be a reseller, but getting all those bills, I'd be worried that you're double or triple paying for something.
                              I have no idea what Bizwind/Kimchee does, other than make me really mad when I have to talk to them on the phone....and charge us $21.95 a month. I am computer illiterate. They know this. I am easy to "stall" when there is a problem because I do not know what is going on.

Hawaiian Telecom charges us $32.50 a month for ADSL Bronze + (768K/128K). On another page of the bill from Hawaiian Telecom there is a charge for Dial-up access-Standard Plan $19.95. They also charge $30.88 a month for regulated local service...which is the phone. After taxes etc, the entire Hawaiian Tel charges are close to $100.00 every month. Yes we pay double and triple the way it looks to me. I gave up calling them to find out why, because they give me the run around, and being computer illiterate, (which is obvious to them, when I talk to them) I do not know what to do.

We live in Mililani. We are moving to Moiliili. My idea was to get rid of the land line, get a second cell phone for me, on my man's Nexthell account, get Road Runner for our internet connection and tell the phone company to CENSORED. However after reading about Road Runner hell, I do not know what to do.

Thanks for the information.

Comment

Working...
                              X