Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hawaiian Telcom DSL

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
    That is pretty normal speeds for a 3Mbps/768K circuit both here and the mainland. The 3360/800 is what your circuit between your house and the DSLAM is provisioned at. It is purposely higher than 3Mbps/768K to take into account TCP overhead. If you get 75-80% of your provisioned speed you are doing great.
    That 3360/800 figure I gave before was what the modem reported the DSL connection rate to be. But that has changed. It now says 3360/768. And just now the NDT test gave 2640/814. It's a little puzzling.
    Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
      That 3360/800 figure I gave before was what the modem reported the DSL connection rate to be. But that has changed. It now says 3360/768. And just now the NDT test gave 2640/814. It's a little puzzling.
      It's all rather simple. Hawaiian Tel provisions your DSL circuit at 3360/860 I believe. This is done to take into account TCP/IP overhead. So if you
      get 75-80% of the provisioned speed that is pretty good.

I really don't know how to explain it more clearly, than you'll never get 3360/860 speeds. Its technically impossible. I'm sure if you call up HawTel you'll get the same answer.
      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
      The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
        It's all rather simple. Hawaiian Tel provisions your DSL circuit at 3360/860 I believe. This is done to take into account TCP/IP overhead. So if you
        get 75-80% of the provisioned speed that is pretty good.

I really don't know how to explain it more clearly, than you'll never get 3360/860 speeds. Its technically impossible. I'm sure if you call up HawTel you'll get the same answer.
        Well, it's puzzling because before, when I mentioned the figure my modem reports as upload speed, 800K, you said that's what my line was provisioned at. Now my modem reports 768K up, lower than before, and now you say that's because my line is provisioned at 860K, higher than before. Is it supposed to make sense?

I'm sure I never said anything about expecting to get 860 upload speed. The 860 figure was yours -- I don't know where it comes from.
        Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GregLee View Post
          Well, it's puzzling because before, when I mentioned the figure my modem reports as upload speed, 800K, you said that's what my line was provisioned at. Now my modem reports 768K up, lower than before, and now you say that's because my line is provisioned at 860K, higher than before. Is it supposed to make sense?

I'm sure I never said anything about expecting to get 860 upload speed. The 860 figure was yours -- I don't know where it comes from.
          I haven't had a chance to see what my line was provisioned at lately. I recall the upload was set at 860 or so. It is set higher so you can get close to 768K uploads.
          The Kona Blog

Comment

Please excuse me for asking this very basic question which has probably been answered many times before but I've just upgraded from dial-up so this is all new to me. Question: is it ok to turn the surge protector switch off every night or does this hurt the computer and/or dsl modem? Thanks for any help.

Comment

It's not ok. It won't necessarily hurt them, since the computer and modem have to be designed to survive power outages, but your computer, at least, is probably somewhat vulnerable to file system damage. Unless, that is, you shut down the operating system before turning off the power (which is a lot of trouble).

If you are willing to go to the trouble of shutting down the operating system, the best policy is debatable. But I leave all my stuff turned on 24/7. You should make sure your computer has a screensaver and is set to put the screen to sleep automatically after a period of inactivity, since it's not healthy for screens to be on all the time.
              Greg

Comment

I agree with Greg. I leave mine's on all the time too. With the monitor set up as he described.
                Plus it's faster getting to where I wish to go as soon as I sit in front of it! HaHa!
                Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Ok, last week I converted to the MyChoice bundle and was told I'd get the 3mbps speed and the whole transaction would be completed by Jan. 9.

I just used the speedtest.com site referred to back on page 12 or 13 of this thread and got 1300kbps download, 355kbps upload.

So do you think the conversion hasn't taken place yet, or is that average, or what?
                  http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

First of all, I hope you used speedtest.net, not .com - what a crappy site. It wanted to install a bunch of stuff on my machine.

Just tested mine at "net". 2810 down, 666 up

Did you power-cycle your modem?

Comment

2659 down, 624 up here.
                      Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                        First of all, I hope you used speedtest.net, not .com - what a crappy site. It wanted to install a bunch of stuff on my machine.

Just tested mine at "net". 2810 down, 666 up

Did you power-cycle your modem?
                        Sorry, yes, I did use .net. I just mistyped it earlier.

1320 down
                        356 up this morning

But no, I haven't power-cycled; you just mean turn it off and back on, right? I'll try that and see what happens. Thanks.

Update Just powered off and powered back on. New results very similar to previous ones. I guess I need to figure out what number to call at HawTel.
                        Last edited by Linkmeister; January 16, 2008, 07:32 AM. Reason: Add'l info after modem reboot
                        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister View Post
                          Sorry, yes, I did use .net. I just mistyped it earlier.

1320 down
                          356 up this morning

But no, I haven't power-cycled; you just mean turn it off and back on, right? I'll try that and see what happens. Thanks.

Update Just powered off and powered back on. New results very similar to previous ones. I guess I need to figure out what number to call at HawTel.
                          It sounds like your DSL connection has not been re provisioned for the 3Mbps
                          service. If you privately give me your phone number I can assist you in this matter.
                          The Kona Blog

Comment

Hopefully really shortly the CO servicing my line will be upgraded to support 7Mbps/11Mbps HSI service. I'm curious if anyone has gotten those service tiers from Hawaiian Telcom ? How satisfied are you with the service ?
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

I haven't power-cycled; you just mean turn it off and back on, right?
                              Correct.

You don't have anything else that's using the connection at the same time do you? A download? Skype? IPTV? Internet radio? Retrieving mail?

Comment

1320 down
                                356 up this morning
                                This is almost exactly what I was getting a couple of weeks ago, and probably had been getting for over a year. I wasn't even conscious of my speed until I got a Vudu box, which specifically requires more than 2Mbps download speeds for "instant viewing" of movie content. I knew their base offering was "up to 3Mbps," and I remembered someone here previously mentioning that longtime DSL customers may just be "stuck" at the old service levels, so I called 'em.

The technician didn't tell me what he did, but he did something and told me to try again. That night, I was at about 2700kbps down and 640kbps up. Vudu was happy, and I was happy, because suddenly uploads of video content (now even more tricky since I'm experimenting with HD) were taking half as long as before. Whew!

Comment

Working...
                                X