Best Video Camera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Video Camera?

So auntie, will this be a one time documentary, or like a "this week, we'll go to restaurants" and "next week we'll see the people" etc thing?

I seen a few camcorders @ Best Buy for about $400 (all miniDV). Just make sure you get the accessories like a tripod, extra battery and charger (that'll hopefully double as AC power cable for the camera).

Oh, and find something with optical zoom. That'll get you a clear zoom, not a blurry one like what a digital zoom will give you.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
      So auntie, will this be a one time documentary, or like a "this week, we'll go to restaurants" and "next week we'll see the people" etc thing?
      Adrian, It will be a One Time documentary. A story that has been written in my Blog many times. Now it needs to be recorded and seen. Only I can get access to the True Chinatown like no other. It is my wish to share The True Story of My Chinatown through my Eyes, Ears and MIND!!!!

Auntie pUpule
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

The only real problem I see auntie... is the whole lighting and sound thing...

but then you can always do "voice overs" for audio that isn't very good.

The Chinatown that I think you want to shoot...is the Nightime Chinatown... (well I'm sure you want daytime shots too...)

However, lighting is going to be a factor!

Also, if you are going to show your production in a Public format... you may have to "blur" out faces and stuff to keep you from getting in trouble... unless you plan on saying to the crack dealer..."will you please sign this consent form to be on camera" Even if it is just a one time public showing.

I still offer help on the project... however, there are many others that could do it better than me...

Comment

auntie...others have suggested to me to take the olelo classes...and often times I blow them off telling them I no need.

Maybe this would be something for you! Then you can learn how to tell the story as well as use the instruments available their....w/out having the big costs.

You can become a certified producer through their training classes and then use their equipment and even have it broadcast on one of the olelo channels.

I didn't mean to answer snobbish to those that recommended to me that I get trained at olelo... I truly think this would be a good oportunity for you to learn some video stuff... and that way your production that you want to do will be that much better...

manoa.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123
            Also, if you are going to show your production in a Public format... you may have to "blur" out faces and stuff to keep you from getting in trouble... unless you plan on saying to the crack dealer..."will you please sign this consent form to be on camera" Even if it is just a one time public showing.

I still offer help on the project... however, there are many others that could do it better than me...
            Manoa, When I say, "True Story"...I mean "True Story!" I don't intend to block out anything. I know the people. I don't intend to tape anything that will cause anyone to be in trouble. However I will show what Life is in Chinatown. There are ways to capture the essence of what I want to share without having to put anyone in jeopardy.

I not dumb. I pUpUle!

As far as having you or anyone assisting me. Some members have given advice on what to do and where I can even go to recieve training in how to use equiptment. I shall look into it.

My quest is to bring and share what I have been part of for many years. Our Chinatown is like no other in the world. Yes, we have the bad amongst the good. There is the Silent Community that exist ~ it is my hope and dream that I bring both to Video to share with everyone.

Auntie Lynn of Chinatown

Comment

Auntie...at the risk of redundancy, you'll want to know who you want your audience to be and what you want your end product to be. And, it would be a good idea to have a rough outline of the story you want to tell. It's extremely difficult to edit a 'documentary' into something that means something to you without some kind of a plan. This is a cute book that I highly recommend. And I recommend it 'cuz both you and I are 'young'! Seriously, it will help you make your efforts worthwhile as there are some logical steps to take before you even turn on a camera. And the best part of that book is it's easy to understand. No 'Dummies' in the title...only 'Young'!!! That's us!

Comment

I will definitely read and learn. I have a plan all thought out. However, any advice from an expert like you is well appreciated. Mahalo Big Time Tutusue!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Posted by Tutusue:
                  And, it would be a good idea to have a rough outline of the story you want to tell. It's extremely difficult to edit a 'documentary' into something that means something to you without some kind of a plan.
                  I don't know how often Tutu reads your blog... but I think it makes for a great outline. Auntie... I know you have written your blog as thoughts from your mind... however, I have read it for a long time...and often times I think...this lady needs to make a Movie out of these blogs!

The "Storyboard" is literally written in your blogs... You tell the truth through your blog... No need for any glamorization or anything... your blog is compelling enough to hold an audience for a little while...

and dang... if we tried to recreate your blog... that wouldn't be a short movie...it would be a long epic!

Comment

This is a cute book that I highly recommend. And I recommend it 'cuz both you and I are 'young'!
                    Well it is a cute book... the cartoons make it almost an Idiots guide...etc..it was something I read about 10 years ago... however, I think many of the concepts in that book are outdated... although many will never change.

I wish my memory was good enough to recall some of the stuff said in it...

I remember reading it in one of my first production classes thinking...duh!

However, knowing auntie the way I think I know her... I think she likes the hands on approach.... and having someone personally assisting her instead of reading from a book may be more helpful. It is common knowledge stuff for the beginning producer...however...things have changed a lot in the last 10 years.

And I understand aunite is just breaking into the biz...so maybe this would help her... however, I see a more hands on approach in helping her...

Comment

Well it is a cute book... the cartoons make it almost an Idiots guide...etc..it was something I read about 10 years ago... [...].
                      Manoa...you have such a way with words. Naht.

The book is written for YOUNG people, as in grades 4 to 6. Idiots? I don't think so. I recommend that book often, esp. for children AND people of Auntie's and my generation. It's a fun read and very basic. It doesn't get into high tech terms or film industry buzz words. It's understandable and, again, very basic.

That said...I just went thru last weeks mail and found my Sept. issue of MacWorld magazine. It's a 'Home Video Superguide', 6 video cameras reviewed, lots of tips, tricks and recommendations for digital video use. Good stuff; right up Auntie's alley. Yours, too, Manoa, 'cept you hate Macs!

It sounds like Auntie's blog can be used for the start of an outline. She still needs a basic shot list of some sort and a storyline. If she already has it in her head, that's fine.

Comment

Yours, too, Manoa, 'cept you hate Macs!
                        where does everyone get this concept that I hate macs....??? I said they suck... this comes from working with PC's for 15 years and then having to figure out mac's for the last 10.... I have never told anyone not to get one... I just get frustrated with them sometimes... 10 years ago I wasn't able to tweak them as easily as a PC... and I still can't! My suck statements stem from my own in ability to do what I wanted to do with a Mac about 8 years ago!

I don't hate mac's... they are friggin great for many things.... It's just that I was used to a PC for some 15 years and then had to learn a new operating system... That sucked for me...and still to this day... I say Mac's suck.... cause I fricking so used to my pc habits....however...

Mac's rule right now in the video industry and for Mr. TuNnL to call fcp the poor mans version of avid was a ludacris statement....I guess I'm a poor man... cause I'm still learning fcp!

Comment

where does everyone get this concept that I hate macs....???
                          Probably when you said, "I hate Mac's." Or went on to say they suck in the very same message. Though with that apostrophe there, I realize now you might've meant to say you hate Mac's PC. Or Mac's hamburger recipe. Who's Mac?

Manoa, it's not always about you. And why you can't resist any opportunity to enumerate the ways in which others' views are inferior just boggles the mind. Especially since your views, on balance, seem to be as dopey as they come.

You say Macs suck, because you can't figure them out. You tell us to take it easy on Aunty Lynn, because she's a simple person. You pooh-pooh a book Tutusue recommends, because you read it 10 years ago, it reminded you of an "idiot's guide," and because it made you go "duh." Well, I'm sorry, Manoa, but not everyone is as brilliant as you. Because not everyone is you, thank god!

If you'd focus more on the shared objective, which is trying to help Aunty get started on her Oscar-winning documentary, and less on what you think about everyone else's advice, things might progress a bit better.
                          Mac's rule right now in the video industry and for Mr. TuNnL to call fcp the poor mans version of avid was a ludacris statement....I guess I'm a poor man... cause I'm still learning fcp!
                          Ludacris? The rapper? Never mind. Manoa, have you looked at how much Final Cut Pro costs? And how much an Avid editing system costs? Voila, the "poor man's" option. It was a statement of cost, not at all related to your mental capacity.

I actually think iMovie/iDVD are pretty great for the price -- free with any Mac!

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                            stereo mic is sufficient.
                            I can't see aunty going, "yo. ice dealer, hang on. lemme set up my focus, and position this lapel mic on you.... now i put on my headphones..."
                            I would strongly disagree with you on this point. Much lauded Crystal Meth documentarian Edgy Lee would too. You don’t need to “pin a lapel mic” on his shirt, just use a handheld mic, Einstein! Of course if the crappy little camera (dcr hc36) doesn’t even HAVE an external mic input, then you are *SOL* Built-in Stereo mic is sufficient?! *lol* Maybe for nat sound. But if you’re trying to interview someone with the noise of Indigo’s, police sirens and car stereo systems blaring in the background, trust me: you NEED a uni-directional mic such as A. a handheld mic, B. a shotgun mic, or C. if you’re Kimo, a “lapel” mic.

As for a pair of headphones, you wear them around your neck and it takes about 1.7 seconds to put them on when you need them.

I love it when amateurs try to teach amateurs.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                            USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                              Hehe...

or...

well, we're just here to entertain ya.

also forgot aunty was Edgy level...
                              Last edited by kimo55; August 13, 2006, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                                I would strongly disagree with you on this point. Much lauded Crystal Meth documentarian Edgy Lee would too. You don’t need to “pin a lapel mic” on his shirt, just use a handheld mic, Einstein! Of course if the crappy little camera (dcr hc36) doesn’t even HAVE an external mic input, then you are *SOL* Built-in Stereo mic is sufficient?! *lol* Maybe for nat sound. But if you’re trying to interview someone with the noise of Indigo’s, police sirens and car stereo systems blaring in the background, trust me: you NEED a uni-directional mic such as A. a handheld mic, B. a shotgun mic, or C. if you’re Kimo, a “lapel” mic.

As for a pair of headphones, you wear them around your neck and it takes about 1.7 seconds to put them on when you need them.

So when is someone considered a non amateur?
                                When is someone qualified to give an appropriate response?
                                Just kind of confused a bit... What qualifies an amateur from a professional?
                                Anyone care to elaborate?
                                Last edited by damontucker; August 13, 2006, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X