Old Fart Game System Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Old Fart Game System Advice?

Well I think the Nintendo is right for you as well. Not sure if you would want to wait until the Wii makes it's debut or go for the Gamecube. It also matters on how much you are willing to spend. I think the Gamecube will suit your current needs just fine. I had/have a lot of fun on mine.
    I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
      Scriv, tell me more about the GameCube. A better choice than the Playstation 2? Or the Xbox? That's been out for five years now, right?
      I think the Gamecube has been out for six years. The Dreamcast was released on 9-9-99, and the Gamecube wasn't far behind. The sheer numbers of games produced for all consoles and the availability of older titles on the Web mean that for any system you get, you'll find plenty to keep you amused and entertained. I recommend the Gamecube because its flagships, the Mario franchise, the Pokemon franchise, and the Zelda fanchise are much more up your alley. The Gamecube is often looked down upon by hardcore gamers because Nintendo's image has been of the cutesy sort ever since PS2 and Xbox came out. But I like that, and I rebel against the ridiculous prices of games and consoles put up by Sony and Microsoft.

Nintendo has proven its ability to support its older systems and to thrive, even, in a world where it very suddenly found itself a third-party candidate in a two-party town. Sega couldn't do it (sigh), but Nintendo keeps doing it, and I feel good supporting the underdog here, even if it's not an American company.

Do an eBay search of Gamecube games and you'll see what I mean. There's PLENTY out there to keep you entertained for a LONG time. I'm still buying Dreamcast games in their original shrinkwrap once in a while, and it's been a million years since Sega stopped supporting it.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The GameCube looks like a good match so far. Only, no Katamari!

The Wii sounds grand. But like I said, I don't want the latest or greatest, or most expensive. Just something established and affordable and not dominated by semiautomatic machine guns.

Comment

I'm not a huge gamer, but I did get for free an original Nintendo 8-bit game console. With about 24 game cartridges. The sad thing is that the Nintendo only shows me the gray screen of death. No picture, no booting of the game, nothing.

Didn't some Asian firm release an original Nintendo 8-bit clone, a new box that can play the old games? If so do you know what it is called, how much it costs and where you can find it?

Has anyone bought the all in one Atari Classics 10 in 1 device?

Seems like for a short time there was a fad to get back into retro gaming.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Sometimes I wish I had my old atari 2600 system so that I could start my child out with some basic stuff real cheaply.

Anyone know where I might be ablet to pick one up locally?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
              Has anyone bought the all in one Atari Classics 10 in 1 device?
              A friend of mine had one. I think I saw them at Wal-Mart.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I noticed that... however, I heard that those broke easily.
                Thanks though...

I want the actual system so that I can full on do what I was never able to do as a kid and buy like every single cartridge out there for my son as he grows up... they must be cheap now.

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
                  I noticed that... however, I heard that those broke easily.
                  Thanks though...

I want the actual system so that I can full on do what I was never able to do as a kid and buy like every single cartridge out there for my son as he grows up... they must be cheap now.
                  In the game shops right now the originals run over 150.00! Well, that's here anyways.
                  Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                  Sharing withother survivors...
                  www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

My Atari works just fine! I got the classic cartridges too...Pac Man, Ms. Pac Man, Defender, Spider Fighter, Frogger, The Empire Strikes Back, Missile Command, Galaxian, ET, Jungle Hunt, Combat, and Q-Bert.

Check E-bay...sometimes there's a few systems that go for cheap 'cause there's no reserve set.
                    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                      The GameCube looks like a good match so far. Only, no Katamari!

The Wii sounds grand. But like I said, I don't want the latest or greatest, or most expensive. Just something established and affordable and not dominated by semiautomatic machine guns.
                      You need a Wii. Here are some things that may not have come through clearly earlier in this thread:

It's cheaper than its two competitors in the current generation of consoles. (On the other hand, $250 is lots more than a $70 refurbished Gamecube from Gamestop.)

It's completely compatible with the Gamecube. It even has 4 ports for GC controllers and 2 ports for GC memory cards.

Sounds like you have a taste for old retro games, and the Wii will play a number of old games for NES, SNES, N64, and other systems. (But you have to buy new versions, and only a few are available, so far.)

Although the Wii does not do high definition graphics, it will do progressive scan output ($30 for a component cable) to an HDTV or EDTV and give a pretty nice picture. This is hard to do with a Gamecube.

Personally, though, last February I got a Gamecube, and I'm still on the fence about getting a Wii. I'm pretty much a cheapskate.
                      Greg

Comment

I've got a gamecube I'll sell you on the cheap if you want to try it out. It's even got the JP mod in it so you can play japanese import games if you decide to get into it.

Let me know if you're interested. I'd rather someone here get it than selling it back to gamestop for next to nothing.

I've got a wireless controller for it that make it a lot easier to keep organized since you're not dragging it out into the floor every time you want to play so the cord will reach the couch.

I also think it's the best system for you. I like it more than my 360 for the most part. I'll be getting a Wii, so I don't need it any more.

Comment

Working...
                        X